MANHUNT 2 Refused Relese in UK

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Blaizeyboy
Jade Tiger
Posts: 159
Joined: 24 Sep 2006, 22:19
Location: Stoke-on-Trent (home of the Valiants)

MANHUNT 2 Refused Relese in UK

Post by Blaizeyboy »

The BBFC has rejected Manhunt 2 on PS2 and Wii, the ratings board has revealed, meaning that the sequel "cannot be legally supplied anywhere in the UK".

heres the statment/total utter bollocks
"Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly. Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board's published Guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible. Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game.

"Although the difference should not be exaggerated the fact of the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game. That work was classified '18' in 2003, before the BBFC's recent games research had been undertaken, but was already at the very top end of what the Board judged to be acceptable at that category.

"Against this background, the Board's carefully considered view is that to issue a certificate to Manhunt 2, on either platform, would involve a range of unjustifiable harm risks, to both adults and minors, within the terms of the Video Recordings Act, and accordingly that its availability, even if statutorily confined to adults, would be unacceptable to the public."

David Cooke, Director of the BBFC
links
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 5&site=cvg
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/index.php? ... al%20media
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6172704.htm ... ws;title;1
http://kotaku.com/gaming/breaking/manhu ... 270070.php

sorry but this is all total bullshit, i'm intrigued to know how this will pose a harmful risk to myself :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

anyway discuss
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Who cares? The first game was shit. You don't need interactive snuff movies.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I couldn't care less. The first game was just boring. Why? Well, the BBFC might have supplied the reason why this game was rejected, but at the same time it is the reason why I think the game is so boring.
BBFC wrote:...focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer...
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Manhunt 1 and Postal 2 were banned NZ. They did us a favour, those were two really shitty games.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I wouldn't say they'd be doing me a favour by banning games I dislike. I mean by allowing such games, they aren't forcing me to buy them. It's just that I don't care if they are banned or allowed.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

They let GTA through and that glorifies stealing cars.

I wonder why they didn't opt to recommend modifications, as they would for films. Surely if the same tone was in a film they'd just slap an 18 on it and be done with it???

I remember the days Video Games BBFC certificates were just warnings and weren't enforceable. That's long over now I guess.

I never knew Carmageddon was banned originally. I had loads of fun playing that. To ban that is so stupid, it was clearly so over the top and not to be taken seriously. The way the grannies ran when you tried to run over them :D

p.s - Interestingly books never seem to be censored. I wonder why? Is it because it's presumed only intellectuals read those.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Since when was David Cooke qualified to say how capable the entire 18 years and over population of Britain are able to handle such images?

There's a huge presumption there if they think they know the entire population to be able to say how many could be harmed by playing this game.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:They let GTA through and that glorifies stealing cars.
When the first Manhunt was banned in NZ, the OFLC found absolutely no redeeming factors in it at all. It was just an interactive snuff movie.

GTA was left untouched by the NZ OFLC becuz it did have plenty of redeeming factors, it was in 2004 so I can't remember what arguments were.

EDIT:
Here Brad, I've dug up a news piece on it you're really interested.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/sto ... id=3539223
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

In Germany there are even certain books and CDs that are beanned.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Isn't film censorship even stronger in Germany to the UK?

It's a pity we don't adopt Thai style censoring. The censors ban it, you walk down the street and buy it anyway :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I wasnt interested in this game whatsoever, so as far as this game is concerned I hardly care that it's banned. But TBH I do find it frightning they can just ban a game for being violent, just like that. I mean, there are also lots of movies which are violent and have hardly any other redeeming factors. Plus who are 'they' to say that this game would have a harmfull influence on me or that it has no other redeeming factors other then being violent!?

I'm pretty much against censorship of any kind, so I'm always skeptic when countries and politicians take such drastic measures.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Blaizeyboy
Jade Tiger
Posts: 159
Joined: 24 Sep 2006, 22:19
Location: Stoke-on-Trent (home of the Valiants)

Post by Blaizeyboy »

Rockstar has responded:
"We are disappointed with the recent decision by the British Board of Film Classification to refuse classification of Manhunt 2. While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision.

"Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers.

"We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of the adult gamers for whom this product is intended. We believe all products should be rated to allow the public to make informed choices about the media and art they wish to consume. The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more."
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more.
And there sums up the whole debate whether we need a censorship board in the first place. The BBFC would disagree.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Brad are you saying they played the original Carmegeddon? I thought it was changed so you ran over zombies?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:Brad are you saying they played the original Carmegeddon? I thought it was changed so you ran over zombies?
There was a patch to make it into the full uncensored version I recall.

The cut version was never sold in my country AFAIK. I loved that game, the sequel ruined it though by replacing the sprite pedestrians with god awful 3D models.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The revised cut down version has has been banned again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leic ... 034267.stm
There was a patch to make it into the full uncensored version I recall.
Correct. I thought the cut version came later anyway.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

Yes The carmeggedon patch was on a US server therefore falls outside of UK laws :)

It still stupid, you can now get the uncut version of Manhunt 2 on torrent sites, looks like someone leaked it, which is a shame, as no developers are getting paid for it :(

Don't know what the BBFC are playing at, at the end of the day, if a kid plays manhunt, its down to the parents, its the same as kids watching violent 18 movies.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

True, the parents should be educated about games and the ratings and what they actually mean. Some people think just because its a "game" it means its for kids :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Parents being educated? That's blasphemous. Too many parents solely blame the education for their kid getting in trouble, it cannot be my faulty, can it? This is no different.

I cannot understand it when parents just leave their kids to use the computer unattended. Manhunt is for adults, it has an 18 rating so shouldn't be anywhere near kids. Instant Messaging programs have their place but when kids are involved should be monitored.

Isn't the ban to protect "Adults" though too?
slasher13 wrote:It still stupid, you can now get the uncut version of Manhunt 2 on torrent sites, looks like someone leaked it, which is a shame, as no developers are getting paid for it :(
Buy it then sell it on eBay then ;)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: Isn't the ban to protect "Adults" though too?
Duh, yes.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

It was a rhetorical question, duh.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Manhunt 2 to face court challenge:
British censors have won the right to fight the UK release of video game Manhunt 2 in the High Court.

The Board had warned that if the VAC decision had stood, it would have fundamental implications for all of its decisions, including those about unacceptable levels of violence.
Read on: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7156169.stm
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

As you guys know: I'm usually not in favour of banning simulated entertainment media, and I'm not saying for sure that I'd make this an exception; but honestly, I can't defend these sick games (ie. Manhunt 2) on any level. They do pander to the worst aspects of our violence-obsessed culture and you just know that the majority of people who play these will be impressionable teens and chavs who get off on "the killing". Unlike films which are a passive experience, games are designed exclusively for the audience to take part in. In other words when a character dies it's by "your" hand; and the nastier the better seems to be the motto.
Image