Windows XP Service Pack 3
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Download it here, it's 316Mb: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 1555d4f3d4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SP3 is due out First Quarter 2008. SP3 looks to have more in common with SP1 than SP2 in that it's mostly hotfixes and a few new "business" security features than anything major.
A PDF can be found here, posted on the 10th of December:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b4f56f5110
The PDF is 11 pages but is in fact mostly blank space!
Apparently it will have over a thousand hotfixes, but contrary to original opinion will not contain IE7 (although will update it if installed). I’d guess Windows Media Player 11 isn’t included either. Normally Service Packs do upgrade Internet Explorer. I’d guess this is to push more people to get Vista.
It will give WinXP WPA2 support (Wireless Encryption).
p.s - Windows NT 4 had 6 service packs and Windows 2000 4 service packs. Many of which were released long after the next Windows was released.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SP3 is due out First Quarter 2008. SP3 looks to have more in common with SP1 than SP2 in that it's mostly hotfixes and a few new "business" security features than anything major.
A PDF can be found here, posted on the 10th of December:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b4f56f5110
The PDF is 11 pages but is in fact mostly blank space!
Apparently it will have over a thousand hotfixes, but contrary to original opinion will not contain IE7 (although will update it if installed). I’d guess Windows Media Player 11 isn’t included either. Normally Service Packs do upgrade Internet Explorer. I’d guess this is to push more people to get Vista.
It will give WinXP WPA2 support (Wireless Encryption).
p.s - Windows NT 4 had 6 service packs and Windows 2000 4 service packs. Many of which were released long after the next Windows was released.
Last edited by bradavon on 29 Apr 2009, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
@ Eva: That all depends how clogged down our Windows installation is.
Anyway that's just my thinking on it. Back on topic it's worth reading the PDF.
I've not come across any, underneath it's very similar to IE6. I've never heard anyone else who has either. Even then it's standard practise to usually upgrade IE. I don't believe it's your reason behind why it's missing, Microsoft are very keen for everyone to use IE7 (and Vista).Lourdes wrote:Lack of IE7 is because it has incompatabilities with a lot of sites and applications still so there'd be too much backlash.
Because if you can get some of what's in Vista in a nice and easy Service Pack you maybe less likely to upgrade. Microsoft doesn't want to make it clear IE7 is also available on XP for Joe Public. More people install Windows Service Packs than would install IE7 on it's own. They think install XP, must also make sure I have SP2 not install XP, upgrade IE, upgrade WMP etc . . .Lourdes wrote:I don't see why it would have anything to do with Vista...
Anyway that's just my thinking on it. Back on topic it's worth reading the PDF.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
You've gone back to SP1 ? :bom:
If there really is some kind of performance increase, then I might try the SP3.
I'll do anything to stay away from Vista.
If there really is some kind of performance increase, then I might try the SP3.
I'll do anything to stay away from Vista.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I see the usual Romerologic is at work. It wasn't SP2 fool. It was your particular configuration, "with possibly" at most SP2 too that killed it.romerojpg wrote:Not a chance in hell I will install this shit, SP2 broke my PC beyond words. Mine works fine as it is now, no need for SP3 at all.
Nope he's gone back to 3.1.tom2681 wrote:You've gone back to SP1? :bom:
I know you like your system empty but don't tell me you're still running the original XP build?tom2681 wrote:If there really is some kind of performance increase, then I might try the SP3.
Speaking of Vista, SP1 Release Candidate 1 was released recently. It's also due First Quarter 2008.tom2681 wrote:I'll do anything to stay away from Vista.
Here it is: http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/ ... m-Vista/p1gasteropod wrote:Trusted Reviews said this update gives your computer a 10% speed/performance boost.
Nothing is mentioned of this in the Microsoft PDF.
Last edited by bradavon on 23 Dec 2007, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
You think you know everything. As usual your wrong.bradavon wrote:I see the usual Romerologic is at work. It wasn't SP2 fool. It was your particular configuration, "with possibly" at most SP2 too that killed it.romerojpg wrote:Not a chance in hell I will install this shit, SP2 broke my PC beyond words. Mine works fine as it is now, no need for SP3 at all.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
I agree with bradavon on this, sorry romerojpg but properly-running & stable Windows XP configs worked just fine after the SP2 upgrade. I can pretty much guarantee you had somethin undesirable on your PC that botched things up.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Yep. SP2's fine with my rig, too.
It needs to be installed properly, though.
(Format your drive, install XP SP1, install all drivers, install all M$ programs, then install SP2)
I did run into trouble when I got the order wrong. Maybe that's what happened to Romero.
It needs to be installed properly, though.
(Format your drive, install XP SP1, install all drivers, install all M$ programs, then install SP2)
I did run into trouble when I got the order wrong. Maybe that's what happened to Romero.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
SP2 includes SP1.
I've gone from Original Release to SP2 a few times. It says on the SP2 page it also includes SP1. Since 2002 (I think) all Service Packs have included the previous Service Pack.
I now have a Slipstreamed WinXP SP2 install saving time. Not that I've installed XP for ages, now I'm on Vista.
Say what you will about Vista but it's setup routine and recovery console are much better than 2000/XP. It now has proper repair options instead of just a complicated command prompt to work with (which it also has too). Obviously with any luck you should never see it on XP or Vista though.
There is no DOS section of the setup routine, it's straight to a graphical install with mouse functionality. The last time I installed XP was for my Dad. He's capable of doing it himself but I said I'd do it to get it right, his last PC was so utterly cluttered. It's getting that way again, he wont' learn.
If I was going to install SP2 I'd definitely do so on a fresh install if at all possible!
I've gone from Original Release to SP2 a few times. It says on the SP2 page it also includes SP1. Since 2002 (I think) all Service Packs have included the previous Service Pack.
The order isn't important. I always install XP then SP2 so I have a base level to work from (i.e - Windows itself is at the latest level). After SP2 I then install drivers followed by programs. There is no connection to having to install Microsoft programs first, they're just software like any others. You cannot also install some programs without SP2 installed first too.It needs to be installed properly, though.
(Format your drive, install XP SP1, install all drivers, install all M$ programs, then install SP2).
I now have a Slipstreamed WinXP SP2 install saving time. Not that I've installed XP for ages, now I'm on Vista.
Say what you will about Vista but it's setup routine and recovery console are much better than 2000/XP. It now has proper repair options instead of just a complicated command prompt to work with (which it also has too). Obviously with any luck you should never see it on XP or Vista though.
There is no DOS section of the setup routine, it's straight to a graphical install with mouse functionality. The last time I installed XP was for my Dad. He's capable of doing it himself but I said I'd do it to get it right, his last PC was so utterly cluttered. It's getting that way again, he wont' learn.
I never have. I suspect again it was "your" experience. In Romero's case he could've installed SP2 on to an already clunky or old PC thinking it would help when it just made it worse. I'm just guessing though.I did run into trouble when I got the order wrong. Maybe that's what happened to Romero.
If I was going to install SP2 I'd definitely do so on a fresh install if at all possible!
Last edited by bradavon on 23 Dec 2007, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
So does anyone have any comments about the changes in SP3 found in the PDF? Is there anything you're particularly looking forward to or indeed worried about?
As well as rumoured about SP3 increasing XP's already speed I've also heard it will have negative affects in many Security Software (that's all I've heard). Which we all run unless your name is Tom
As well as rumoured about SP3 increasing XP's already speed I've also heard it will have negative affects in many Security Software (that's all I've heard). Which we all run unless your name is Tom
Last edited by bradavon on 23 Dec 2007, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
None, I only use 32-bit XP as a backward OS for incompatibilities with XP x64 (which are very rare). I can go for months at a time without booting 32bit XP.bradavon wrote:So does anyone have any comments about the changes in SP3 found in the PDF? Is there anything you're particularly looking forward to?
32bit Windows is backward. The 4GB memory addressing limit sucks (and that includes VRAM).
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Does WinXP x64 include SP2 by default?
It's hard to work out if it is or not. According to this link an SP2 download is mutually available for both 2003 x64 and XP x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... F0315B2AE6
I'll consider it when Windows 7 is released hopefully by then it will be 100% compatible. Not that I remotely find 32-Bit 2000/XP/Vista unstable to start with. Windows has come on a long way since the days of Windows 98 SE.

It's hard to work out if it is or not. According to this link an SP2 download is mutually available for both 2003 x64 and XP x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... F0315B2AE6
Who said anything about 32-Bit Windows? I was asking about SP3. I'd imagine it will at a later date be made available for XP x64 too.None, I only use 32-bit XP as a backward OS for incompatibilities with XP x64 (which are very rare).
The fact you cannot 100% do away with 32-Bit XP entirely makes me still wary of it. There's no way I or most people will want dual OS's installed. The lack of 16-Bit support is also a concern. I like some of my old programs that use 16-Bit installers, for instance.I can go for months at a time without booting 32bit XP.
I'll consider it when Windows 7 is released hopefully by then it will be 100% compatible. Not that I remotely find 32-Bit 2000/XP/Vista unstable to start with. Windows has come on a long way since the days of Windows 98 SE.
Most people don't even need 4Gb on Vista let alone on XPThe 4GB memory addressing limit sucks (and that includes VRAM).
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
No, but it's always included SP1. XP x64 is just the workstation version of Windows 2003 under a different name; Win2003 already had a SP1 by the time XP x64 was released sometime in '05.bradavon wrote:Does WinXP x64 include SP2 by default?
No, as 32bit XP and x64 are two different Operating Systems. Eg XP 32-bit's SP2 came out in 2004, 2003/XP x64's came out in March 2007.Who said anything about 32-Bit Windows? I was asking about SP3. I'd imagine it will at a later date be made available for XP x64 too.
I already 4GB of system ram and plan to upgrade to a video card with 512MB VRAM (Tthere's mid-range cards with 1GB VRAM now, but that's overkill for any current games; thus a waste of money.). My current card only has 256MB VRAM, which struggles at the high resolutions that I run my games at.
The aim of my upgrade would be to play DX9 games from 2004-2007 (bar system hogs like Crysis and World in Conflict of course.) maxed out @ 1680*1050 (my monitor's native resolution) with a constant framerate of 60fps. For example the HL2 Orange Box came out this October, the HDR effects and AA effects of upgraded Source engine kill any decent performance at 1680*1050, so I have to play at 1440*900 with minimal AA (2*AA), if I want a playable framerate of 30-60fps (with all the effects turned on). The erratic framerate constantly jumping from 30ish to 60fps can be very jarring.
If you don't enable v-sync when playing LCDs, you get very ugly screen tearing (you get same thing with video playback. Another reason why Overlay is still superior to VMR and EVR). You get that because LCDs refresh rates can't keep up with what's being processed. V-sync caps your performance at your configured refresh rate (that's usually 60Hz on LCDs).
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
@Eva:
I've set the maximum framerate at 30 in my Half-Life 2 games.
It all feels a bit jerky at first, but then you get used to it. I don't like constant framerate variations either.
I've set the maximum framerate at 30 in my Half-Life 2 games.
It all feels a bit jerky at first, but then you get used to it. I don't like constant framerate variations either.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Cool. I didn't know 2003 was 64-Bit only. It would make sense though. I did know they shared the same code base but not that were so similar.EvaUnit02 wrote:No, but it's always included SP1. XP x64 is just the workstation version of Windows 2003 under a different name; Win2003 already had a SP1 by the time XP x64 was released sometime in '05.
Does this mean without the Server bits 2003 is really XP? If 2003 was "that" different they couldn't call x64 XP "Windows XP". I always thought 2003 had a new engine to XP. Then again they did re-write the kernel from scratch for Vista so I guess not.
I guess it will come when MS consider 2003 needs SP3 then. As far I understand it the latest version is 2003 SR2 (aka Second Edition) with SP2.EvaUnit02 wrote:No, as 32bit XP and x64 are two different Operating Systems. Eg XP 32-bit's SP2 came out in 2004, 2003/XP x64's came out in March 2007.
It stands to reason at some point SP3 will be released. That said "some" of the new features in SP3 are specifically designed for XP workstations connecting to 2003 Servers.
Wouldn't it be better to reduce it a bit to compensate?tom2681 wrote:@Eva:
I've set the maximum framerate at 30 in my Half-Life 2 games.
It all feels a bit jerky at first, but then you get used to it. I don't like constant framerate variations either.
I used to set everything to the maximum quality settings but then reduce the resolution down one to make it playable instead of lower quality settings and a higher resolution. It looked better that way.
Not that I've played Games on my PC for years now. I never have on my current laptop. It's graphics card isn't "great". My Vista score is a nice 4.5 but the Graphics drops it to 2.5 (it's overall score)
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Umm, there's a 32-bit (x86) 2003 as well.bradavon wrote:Cool. I didn't know 2003 was 64-Bit only. It would make sense though. I did know they shared the same code base but not that were so similar.
Practically, 2003 was developed with the XP (the desktop/consumer version) as a starting point. Then it probably would've been ported to the various different CPU architectures. (x86 and x86x64 aren't the only CPU architectures out there, obviously.)Does this mean without the Server bits 2003 is really XP?
Server 2008 will be an extension of Vista's codebase, obviously.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Windows XP SP3 FAQ. This lays out well what's going to be included:
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp
Do NOT expect a major update like SP2, unlike Vista SP1 it's mostly Hotfixes. I still find it strange IE7 or WMP11 aren't being included but there you go, especially when IE7 was rolled out over Windows Update some time ago. I'm not sure on WMP11.
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp
Do NOT expect a major update like SP2, unlike Vista SP1 it's mostly Hotfixes. I still find it strange IE7 or WMP11 aren't being included but there you go, especially when IE7 was rolled out over Windows Update some time ago. I'm not sure on WMP11.
Last edited by bradavon on 17 May 2008, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.