This one seems a good price - one feature I thought of is does it have a DVD ROM drive
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/191562
You'll probably have to ask for XP as Vista comes as standard, as it should IMO. You don't play Games and only want basic Office, Internet stuff so Vista will be perfectly fine for you. It's really not "that" different from XP, think of it as "XP Plus". It's techie types who "mostly" come into trouble with Vista.grim_tales wrote:I'm not sure about Vista, maybe 512MB isnt much. I don't know what our budget is, and then we have to buy the software..
Grim said he doesn't play PC Games so won't need DX9.IronMonkey wrote:512MB is the bare minimum for Vista. Look for at least 1GB & DirectX9 acceleration.
Forget that idea then.grim_tales wrote:We have an older CRT type monitor
You guess? What does that mean? It's easy to check:grim_tales wrote:I'd guess unfortunately what we have ATM is really too old
There is NO comparison between deleting stuff you don't need and a System Restore. The WinXP installation itself will be VERY clogged down and chocker block.grim_tales wrote:we tried a lot of times to delete stuff we dont need (it was actually a PC used at mum's uni - where she does her job).
That will work just fine on a new PC. I suspect it would even work on Vista. Office 2002 and Office 2003 do.grim_tales wrote:We run Word/Excel 2000 ATM
I wasn't suggesting you put Vista on your current PC. My personal recommendation would be: Existing PC stick with XP, new PC get Vista Home Premium.grim_tales wrote:348MHz, 328MB RAM
So not enough for Vista
Personally I'd find the discs first. If you've lost them then it's a moot point.grim_tales wrote:I'll run the System Restore idea past her but I dont know if we have the original discs
Doubt it.
The alternative is to buy Office 2003 then in a few years have to buy Office 2007 anyway when it becomes more a standard. That and Office 2007 for £38 is a super bargain, assuming anyone in Grim's house is student.EvaUnit02 wrote:Oh lord, whatever you do don't upgrade to Office 2007. The new UI is gayer than Freddy Mercury and the Village People combined.
Thank youOtherwise the rest of Brad's advice is right on the mark.
Do many Dell deal Monitors have this? I doubt Grim's Mum would really care. This is only a "all round family" PC after all.EvaUnit02 wrote:Also don't get any TFT monitors that lack DVI-D. Having a digital screen with only analogue inputs is utterly retarded.
Yep, but for Grim's Mum keep it simple and stick with Microsoft. That and IMO it's best to learn what the business/rest of the world uses. They'll use Office 2007 one day but I seriously doubt they'll ever use OpenOffice.EvaUnit02 wrote:...or just use OpenOffice. There is choice in the marketplace, thank god.
So they have DVI or not?EvaUnit02 wrote:Oh definitely not. Dell's monitors are some of the best on the market.