The off-topic topic

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Post Reply
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I'm already starting to get pissed off at the Oscars and none of the categories have even been decided yet.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Sadly, it isnt on any of the channels that we can receive here in Holland :(
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

To be fair, my earlier criticism was directed at the pre-show UK hosts. Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C. Reilly have just done a song that was really rather funny. And Ferrell was wearing a curly wig :D
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Watching it on a TVU player right now. Actually, I'm watching commercials right now, so not sure if it works yet...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

What's a TVU player?

Goodmomma's... funny :)
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

google it ;)

It's just a program that allows you to watch tv channels on your TV I guess. hadnt heard about it 1 hour ago either... but downloaded to see if it would work, and I can now watch the oscars... so yeah... I'm happy :)

Too bad the show kinda sucks up to now. Ellen is cool, Gore was funny, but still... too many commercials and some lame songs and dance...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

The commercials are a given, and at least one song's been good. :)

Bloody idiots, Infernal Affairs wasn't a Japanese film! At least the screenwriter's given props to the original.
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Telling Spielberg to take a photograph again. The cheek! :o

:)
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Yeah, noticed that mistake as well. Pretty stupid, a show attended by moviemakers and seen by millions of movielovers, and they fuck up such a simple thing. Someone hasnt done her homework :N
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

LOL, who said it was Japanese?
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

The announcer woman. :roll: Stupid.

Downey Jr. was quite amusing, but forget about that. Isla Fisher's got some huge boobs.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

The Oscars are only on SKY Movies in the UK.

Used to be on the BBC in the good old days until those SKY bandits decided to monopolise everything in sight.

I don't care for Ellen much anyways so I can't say I'm bothered about missing the monologues. Jon Stewart was crap last year. So was Chris Rock. I've taken funnier shits. Last good host was Steve Martin.
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

What I meant to say (before I was so easily distracted) was Robert Downey Jr. being there reminded me about A Scanner Darkly. When was that released? Surely that must've qualified for a nomination, if not winning the Oscar?
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Ellen's been quite funny. I've never really seen any of her stuff beforehand, so I don't have anything to judge her on.
Didn't see last years (either that, or I don't remember it. What does that tell you), but watched the one that Rock presented, mainly cos he was presenting. He was funny, I thought, given the fact that that he was slightly straightjacketed and couldn't go on a rant like he normally does :)
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Wow. I mean, Clint's awesome, but he's never gonna be asked to present another award. He flubbed almost every line.
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Kurgan wrote:The announcer woman. :roll: Stupid.
What category was she announcing and who was she, that they let her announce anything?
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

She was just the announcer person for the Oscars (as in voiceover. Not one of the people that gets on camera with a mic.)
And it was for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Oh, bloody hell. Celine Dion's on. Just play more music from The Untouchables or from the Spaghetti Westerns, damn you.
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

You'd think that I'd be sick of seeing an advert for Elnett hairspray (which has been on in every single ad break) but seeing as how it features Penelope Cruz's bosoms in a prominent role, it's hard to begrudge it.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

TV is a big rip-off in the UK.

We used to have all the Sky Channels (inc. Premiums) on analogue cable, but when we switched to digital cable, they jacked up all the prices and we had to let them go. You now get little more than is on Freeview, but we can't use Freeview as our aerial isn't strong enough. Sky is probably just as expensive except you also have to put up an unattractive binlid on the side of your house. Nice. It's no wonder people say bugger it and download everything illegally. I can't blame them really.
Last edited by Markgway on 26 Feb 2007, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I kinda worked the other way round. With analogue, we only had the family pack of channels. When I moved to digital, I got the sports channels and when I moved to HD, I got the films too.

Christ, Beyoncé's got some lungs on her. That's not meant in the pervy sense, either (well, not entirely, but anyway ;)) she really went for it in her songs.

Michael Mann's cobbled together a little sequence about the nature of America from a huge range of films, which is just fantastic. Rocky IV even got a clip in there, which tells you how good it was. :D
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Nice, Coppola and Spielberg are taking the piss out of Lucas for not winning a Best Director Oscar. And Scorsese's finally won his directing Oscar. Shame it's not for his best film, like.
At least he's corrected the stupid announcer woman by saying that the original came from Hong Kong.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Kurgan wrote:Nice, Coppola and Spielberg are taking the piss out of Lucas for not winning a Best Director Oscar. And Scorsese's finally won his directing Oscar. Shame it's not for his best film, like.
At least he's corrected the stupid announcer woman by saying that the original came from Hong Kong.
I thought the sketch was a bit lame, and thus I suspect it was written by Lucas ;)

The Departed wins best producer. Some guys knowing they have a sure-fire hit on their hands cause they've seen the HK original, and throw money at it. Big deal(!)

I feel Best Producer should go to projects that involve a much bigger risk, both financially as well as artistically.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Of all the films I've seen from the shortlist, The Departed deserved to win Best Picture. Mainly cos it's the only film from the shortlist that I've seen, but...
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Yeah... there werent many movies this year that were appealing to me. I still feel Craig should have been at least nominated for best actor...

But that Kate Winslet movie I have not even heard about, The Queen seems like crap, and that Judy Dench movie also doesnt seem like a movie I'd care for...

Plus there were many other movies that dont look interesting to me. That Forrest Whittaker movie has gotten OK reviews, but it's mostly because of Forrest's performance instead of for the actual movie/story.
Blood Diamonds is also a movie that doesnt look great to me. Plus also heard average reviews for it.

Not that I'm still naive enough to take the Oscar's seriously.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Yi-Long wrote:I thought the sketch was a bit lame, and thus I suspect it was written by Lucas ;)
Well, it wouldn't surprise me. But taking the piss out of Lucas is something that's always worth doing.
The Departed wins best producer. Some guys knowing they have a sure-fire hit on their hands cause they've seen the HK original, and throw money at it. Big deal(!)

I feel Best Producer should go to projects that involve a much bigger risk, both financially as well as artistically.
That'll never happen, to be honest. Otherwise Clerks would've been up for Best Picture in its year. :)
Image
Post Reply