The off-topic topic

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Post Reply
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

You'd think that after watching that, I'd be really tired and sleepy, but oh no, not a fuckin' chance. I swear to God, I'm sick of not being able to sleep properly. Granted, tonight had some sort of reason for staying up, but I'm normally up 'til later than this. In fact, I've felt more tired watching this than I normally do. :roll:
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:I feel Best Producer should go to projects that involve a much bigger risk, both financially as well as artistically.
They've added a new category or do you mean best picture?
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I see The Departed won Best Picture and Director.

You know what'll happen now don't you?

1. Everyone will say how it's a shame Scorcese won the award past his best.

2. That the film wasn't as good as the HK original which won bugger all at the Oscars.

Let the backlash begin.... :D
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

The ones who I really think deserved their awards are Ennio Morricone (Honorary Award) and Forest Whitaker. Who would have thought that the guy who tries to catch Van Damme in "Bloodsport" would be standing in front of the Academy receiving his award one day?
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Markgway wrote:I see The Departed won Best Picture and Director.

You know what'll happen now don't you?

1. Everyone will say how it's a shame Scorcese won the award past his best.

2. That the film wasn't as good as the HK original which won bugger all at the Oscars.

Let the backlash begin.... :D
It wasn't as good as the HK original, which won bugger all at the Oscars.

:D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Daniel Craig should have been nominated!

And yeah, a shame that the HK original didnt get the same oscar respect as it's remake got.

But what can you expect from an organisation that forgot to pay tribute to one of the best actors ever in their memorial-sequence (Leslie Cheung didnt even get a mention in 2004)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

For "Inner Senses"? As far as I can remember he never participated in any film that was nominated for an Oscar.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with you Yi, I enjoyed Pirates but if Johnny Depp can get nominated for camping it up impersonating Keith Richards, admittedly very funny, then Craig should get a nod for playing perhaps the Best Bond ever.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Ehmmm... no ... for dying!
He died in 2003, and usually the big actors/names in cinema who have died get a mention during a memorial montage.

He's been in many BIGGGGGgggg and important movies in asian cinema (A Better Tomorrow, Farewell my Concubine, Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, Rouge, Chinese Ghost Story, Bride with White Hair, etc... ) and he is known as a terrific and versatible actor... so I think he should at least have had a few clips of respect.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Wow... I just got mentioned on CNN :D

They were asking about the viewers' favourite movies of 2006, so I wrote in and said Casino Royale, and about how I liked Daniel Craig's performance :D And they read the email and said many people agreed with it.

Ofcourse, I used my nickname (Yi Long) instead of my actual name :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Post by Shingster »

thelostdragon wrote:For "Inner Senses"? As far as I can remember he never participated in any film that was nominated for an Oscar.
I'm just old enough to remember how well received Farewell My Concubine was in the west. It was nominated for Best Foreign Film and Best Cinematography at the Oscars, but never won anything. It did win Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globes and BAFTA's though.
thelostdragon wrote:The ones who I really think deserved their awards are Ennio Morricone (Honorary Award) and Forest Whitaker. Who would have thought that the guy who tries to catch Van Damme in "Bloodsport" would be standing in front of the Academy receiving his award one day?
He won best actor at Cannes that year for his performance in Bird, so that really was his breakout year as an actor. 8)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Anyone watching Weakest Link?
The winner in today's episode was an Asian (missed the start so I'm not sure where from girl called Jess, she was pretty nice :)
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Yi, I know he is in all those wonderful films and I am also of the opinion that he was a great actor, but I don't think anybody should win an Oscar simply for dying.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yi was being sarcastic.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

thelostdragon wrote:Yi, I know he is in all those wonderful films and I am also of the opinion that he was a great actor, but I don't think anybody should win an Oscar simply for dying.
Me neither. I said he deserved at least a mention during the memorial montage, which is completely different from winning an oscar for dying.

What happened, LD? Brad took over your body for the sole purpose of misunderstanding my posts?

:P
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Somebody has to do the nasty jobs.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

No major news from me, aside from the fact that I just learned that in Holland a guy can rape a 4 year old girl, and only get punished for 240 hours of labour.
Incredible. :?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Jeez, that's even worse than the UK.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

A few more years and judges will be handing out CD/DVD coupons when you've raped a kid... :N
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

OK, onto something slightly more pleasant. Keep an eye out tonight for the lunar eclipse that's going to take place at about 8.15 GMT.
BBC report.
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Moon is going red as we speak...
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Yup, observed it here as well.
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

R.I.P. Baudrillard. Though he'd probably have something to say about that sentiment. :)
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Woke up this morning... no electricity.
Went to the basement... basement door had been blown-up (literally !).
Went into the basement.... 60 cms of water.

Stupid boiler has exploded.

But that's not the best bit:
It's now raining, and I can't prevent the rain from getting into the basement.

Gotta gather the cats and build an ark...
Can't wait to count all the zeroes on the water bill.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Arent you insured? Plus who did you buy the waterboiler from? If you have done nothing wrong, surely you can get the money back from the guys who gave you a faulty boiler?

That's sucky news, dude. You're not the most lucky guy in the world, are ya? (even though you're french)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Post Reply