Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Post Reply
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm happier too with the Bruce Lee films we're getting. As Eva says the 40 minutes from Game of Death are well worth it BUT I've real no massive interest to pay for those in HD, SD is fine.

When are these coming again? The first link doesn't work any more (for me anyway) and the second doesn't say.

I'm so all over Fist of Fury and the OUATIC Trilogy, love those films.

I'll probably get Way of the Dragon too at some point but as Enter the Dragon won't be in the original language I'll pass on that one (I already own the Warner BD anyway) and Big Boss isn't really a keeper IMO or in other words I'm happy with the HKL PE DVD.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I'll probably get Way of the Dragon too at some point but as Enter the Dragon won't be in the original language I'll pass on that one (I already own the Warner BD anyway) and Big Boss isn't really a keeper IMO or in other words I'm happy with the HKL PE DVD.
I'm keen on Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon. I can definitely leave TBB, it's a pretty poor film.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I'd definately buy FIST OF FURY.

Almost certainly would buy THE BIG BOSS.

Would consider buying WAY OF THE DRAGON.

Already have ENTER THE DRAGON (USA)

Wouldn't touch GAME OF DEATH
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

The Big Boss is a fantastic movie,Raw and rough certainly but absolutely superb.i've probably watched it more times than Bruce's other HK movies.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

saltysam wrote:The Big Boss is a fantastic movie,Raw and rough certainly but absolutely superb.i've probably watched it more times than Bruce's other HK movies.
Damn straight :D I mean, I can admit, of Lee's 4 completed films... it's his worst (Lee doesn't fight for half the runtime, non-Lee fights seem like flailing of arms and legs... Lee punches a man through a wall leaving his body's outline, etc). But strangely enough, it's always been my favorite. Most likely because of said "raw" tone that Salty mentioned. Then again, the mystery surrounding the giant blocks of deleted scenes have gripped my interest for over a decade now (first "discovered" the saw-in-the-head story and the Mandarin trailer around the same time in '98 ).

If these are released seperately, I'm going for Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon. I already have a DVD of the Chinese cut of ETD, which does nothing for me anyway. I mean, the only "treasure" hiding on there is the alternate opening credit sequence... not something I desperately need in HD.

All we need now is the release date! Asian Blu-ray Guide has them listed as June 15, but that's probably just because the articles said "mid-June"... so they took it literally. Hopefully something solid will be coming soon... preferably this week :wink:
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I expect the release date will be announced only a week or so before the actual street date. That's how it works in HK. Unlike in the US or UK where announcements are made months in advance.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Any word on these? I cannot see it being June now.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'd buy FIST OF FURY, THE BIG BOSS and maybe WAY OF THE DRAGON.
Not fussed about GOD though, only the final 20 minutes and the cool locker room fight make it worthwhile.
What is that reviewer on the page talking about? 94 minutes is the Cantonese version (I think). Was he expecting the uncut Mandarin print?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Pretty sure Big Boss is longer than 94 minutes-anyway he's talking about a vcd not blu-ray :wink:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Oh, right ;) Can't remember how long TBB is, TBH.
BOSS is about 94/95 minutes long at PAL speed.
I found that when BOSS was submitted to the BBFC in 1972 it was 105 minutes long. Could this be the Mandarin print?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re:

Post by bradavon »

Yay! FOF here I come. Hopefully it's not HK BD rip off prices though.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by grim_tales »

Seems expensive!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:Seems expensive!
Not an issue,Romero will know where to get these for £3 each within a week :wink:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by bradavon »

Annoyingly average HK BD prices :evil:. Does anyone know why HK DVDs have always been reasonable but their BDs always expensive?

Are you getting them Salty? I'll wait for opinions before getting FOF.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:Not an issue,Romero will know where to get these for £3 each within a week :wink:
:lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
Are you getting them Salty? I'll wait for opinions before getting FOF.
normally i would but i'm unsure,have a feeling these will see a superior and cheaper release elsewhere soon enough.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by bradavon »

Really, why? Cheaper probably but superior. I'm unsure, not soon anyway.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by Markgway »

No original mono according to specs posted at the ADVDG.

No sale.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by bradavon »

That is annoying, especially as the 5.1 could be way too bombastic and not really stereo.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by grim_tales »

I bet no BDs will have original mono then, if the HK BD's don't :(
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by bradavon »

You never know. Fox and HKL took the Fortune Star DVD Masters and changed their DVDs. I doubt international BDs will be clones of these. Other Asian BDs are likely to be though. The trouble is I bet it will be forever before they get released internationally.

Given that Contendor killed off HKL I bet we won't be seeing UK Bruce Lee BDs any time soon, presuming they still even have the rights to Bruce's films. I doubt Fox in America will either.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by saltysam »

Well against my better judgement i've ordered these.lack of mono is a pisser but it's Bruce Lee-on blu-ray :lol:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Bruce Lee Movies coming to Blu-Ray

Post by bradavon »

In less than 24 hours you've gone from no thanks to why not :D.
Post Reply