First pirated HD DVD movie hits BitTorrent

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

First pirated HD DVD movie hits BitTorrent

Post by bradavon »

User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Not exactly world breaking news this is it? I'm only surprised it took so long!
I love the name of the site though ARS technica, someone should tell them it's spelt with an e!
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Can't connect to the tracker.
Seems it's been taken down. :?
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I am most definitely NOT attempting to get Oldboy HD-DVD from Share.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

tom2681 wrote:Seems it's been taken down. :?
Is your PC capable of playing 1080p?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Is your PC capable of playing 1080p?
When I overclock it by 25%, yes. :D

I've got a 2,2 ghz CPU.
1080p only plays smoothly at 2,75 ghz.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Holy crap. :-/ I had hopes that my Core Duo 1.87GHz would be able to but I guess not eh?

BTW, I'm not sure Serenity was the first... I spotted several HD rips that popped up at about the same time...
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

I've noticed HD Channel ripped, like Batman Begins and Revenge of the Sith being ripped from HD channels and put on divx.... Some are around 2.5 while other will be 6 gig
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

HD broadcasts are generally pretty compressed from what I've heard. MPEG-4 rips are even more compressed.
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05

Post by Unrealnils »

lol hi-def rips it doesnt fit in with i think what most downloaders are after which is quick but good rips of stuff............

I dont think i will bother downloading something like this although i have downloaded loads of hi-def trailer as they do look awesome on my pc :D

the trailer for 300 is awesome in hi-def
Constantly M.I.A
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

There does seem to be a big difference in terms of file size. The Star Wars films seem to take about 12% or so of my Sky HD' hard drive, yet Who Framed Roger Rabbit? takes only 7%.

300 in HD does look super sweet :D
Image
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

You've been able to get full transport streams from broadcasts for years. Normally 10-15GB for MPEG2, 7-10 for H.264 (H.264 re-endoes are genrally smaller to fit on single layer DVD).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

slasher13 wrote:I've noticed HD Channel ripped, like Batman Begins and Revenge of the Sith being ripped from HD channels and put on divx.... Some are around 2.5 while other will be 6 gig
Maybe Gojensen has seen some prior but the point here is this is the first HD Disc Rip.

20Gb would seem a bit low but about right. Especially if they didn't bother with extras, which considering the ripping method seems crude I could easily believe. It's not like DVDs often use all the available space.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Uhm, I was talking about HD-DVD rips. Not HDTV rips. And crapzors. I was wrong; Serenity was first :D

Apparently the first rips were indeed movie only, but nobody has been able to play them back smoothly yet... there's something about missing structure files or something. I didn't delve to deeply into it - but I've seen folks reposting menu and disc structures to try and get things running...
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Latest AACS revision defeated a week before release -

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... lease.html

Oops.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

It wasn't surprising, all they had to do was come up with a new workaround. Took mere hours.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

It's not surprising but is funny :D