Vista: Limitations of the OEM license

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Vista: Limitations of the OEM license

Post by EvaUnit02 »

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
In a nutshell, you can't swap motherboards.
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

i've actually had great succes with my windows xp oem ringing them up the two times ive changed motherboards. both times I just said thered been a power surge and various components including my motherboard got fried. both times they didnt question me further and just gave me a new product key. I will be getting windows vista tommorrow oem, hopefully i wont be changing my motherboard for at least a couple of years but still, it is something to be aware of
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Like Mordib says that's the same with XP or to be precise XP with WGA (definitely SP2). Assuming you're not being a naughty boy you can just tell the truth. You're allowed to buy a new motherboard, it's just that's what WGA checks against.

I seriously doubt it's a "Vista limitation". Are they saying you can never upgrade your PC (as opposed to a new computer) ever? I doubt it. A mate at his work place had the same experience as you Mordib they gave him a new code without problem.