Hey,
Anyone know where I can find good reviews of DVB-T set-top boxes which support h.264?
Thanks.
Freeview over here will be broadcasted in h.264 AFAIK. The government approved boxes will cost $300, fuck that shit.
Reviews of DVB-T set-top boxes for Freeview?
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Good to see you guys are going straight to MPEG4. All UK models use MPEG2 hence why Grim the NZ models are going to be way more expensive. Even so that's ridiculous. They're better be PVRs (have a hard disk) for that price.
I get the feeling only the name is the same, the two systems (bar the aerial obviously) will be entirely difficult. It's going to be hard for us to recommend any STBs as obviously no UK model will work in NZ.
Before Sony stopped making it the Sony STB (it cost a small fortune though, about £90-£100) was THE best on the market.
Sky HD uses MPEG4 I do believe but everything else for us is good old MPEG2. There has been talk of Freeview HD boxes supporting both, but Freeview HD is eons off.
Is there a decent channel line up for Freeview NZ?
I get the feeling only the name is the same, the two systems (bar the aerial obviously) will be entirely difficult. It's going to be hard for us to recommend any STBs as obviously no UK model will work in NZ.
Before Sony stopped making it the Sony STB (it cost a small fortune though, about £90-£100) was THE best on the market.
Sky HD uses MPEG4 I do believe but everything else for us is good old MPEG2. There has been talk of Freeview HD boxes supporting both, but Freeview HD is eons off.
Is there a decent channel line up for Freeview NZ?
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
I'm not sure honestly. The Hills one here uses SCART so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a European import. Both of the set-top boxes are STB-S though for people living rural isolated fuckholes, I live in the city so I should get a STB-T box.bradavon wrote:I get the feeling only the name is the same, the two systems (bar the aerial obviously) will be entirely difficult. It's going to be hard for us to recommend any STBs as obviously no UK model will work in NZ.
I have no idea, the service just launched at the start of the month for satellite and only in some test areas AFAIK. Full penetration won't be achieved til next year I don't think.Is there a decent channel line up for Freeview NZ?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Interesting you guys are getting Freeview Satellite. That's handled by Sky over here and is entirely different from Freeview which is "just" aerials for us. Freesat from Sky (as they call it) is rubbish, the channel line up is awful.
There has been talk of Freeview Satelite to cover those who can't pick it up through an aerial but nothing concrete. Those "should" in theory at least be fixed when Analogue is switched off (starting 11/07) anyway.
Those prices really are crazy still. What are they thinking??? The max. our boxes ever were was £70, but almost always nearer £30. £20 if you look around, but those are rubbish. The quality of STBs differs wildly, some crash and hang all the time.
There has been talk of Freeview Satelite to cover those who can't pick it up through an aerial but nothing concrete. Those "should" in theory at least be fixed when Analogue is switched off (starting 11/07) anyway.
Those prices really are crazy still. What are they thinking??? The max. our boxes ever were was £70, but almost always nearer £30. £20 if you look around, but those are rubbish. The quality of STBs differs wildly, some crash and hang all the time.