Tom's moderating style... vote for it!

tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Tom's moderating style... vote for it!

Post by tom2681 »

Go ahead. Use your brains.
With the amount of alcohol that's in my blood, I'm open to any suggestions tonight.

Option 1:
Don't do anything in particular. Stay cool and laid back.
Trust in humanity and hope that people will stop acting like arseholes.
BnB's fine, anyways. Everybody's overreacting for no reason.

Option 2:
React more quickly.
Whenever you see that a thread is about to be ruined, isolate the people who are responsible and go Terminator on them.

Image

Option 3:
Be cold, be calculating, be evil.
After a thread is ruined, go analyze the remains, find out who did this and give him/them a public warning.
After 3 warnings, give them a 24-hour ban. After that, it's zero tolerance. Next offence will lead to a 48-hour ban, next offence after that leads to a permanent ban.
That'll teach the fuck.

Option 4:
Give us an "ignore user" button. Job done.
That'll save the board, the trees, the polar bears and even the ozone layer. Yes, please give us the magical button.

Option 5:
Please teach us how to behave on a message board. Give us lessons on how to be polite, how to be respectful and how not to ruin every single thread we step into.
Then rate us: At the end of every month, the best BnB member will get some kind of gold medal on his avatar, and the worst will get a "I am not internet-smart" avatar and a 1-week ban.
That's a novel idea, but it just might work.

Option 6:
[Insert other irrational behaviour pattern here.]
(Diplomacy, tolerance and other shit like that...)

And no, banning one particular member just because you don't like him doesn't work. So you're gonna have to come up with better stuff, folks.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Option 1 for me

(Option 3 for everyone else :P j/k )
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Option 1 or 4 :) For me personally that is. Though I can see Option 2 would be OK too. The other options are OTT, IMO
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Haven't we been here before? Most members prefer you to zero moderating, which IMO just leads to a forum where people bitch at each other and nothing much else.

I'll read and vote tomorrow :). I'm too tired right now.
tom2681 wrote:Trust in humanity and hope that people will stop acting like arseholes.
The reality is, that just doesn't happen.
tom2681 wrote:Give us an "ignore user" button. Job done.
What's all this talk of an Ignore button? There isn't one and I cannot see Mordib having the time to add one. How would it practically even work? Would uses click it and all posts by the relevant member disappear. That would never work.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Um, Brad, it does work. Nicely too
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

It does work on some boards.
I don't know if it could work on ours. Wouldn't hurt to ask, of course.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Option 2.

I'm particular sick of immature cunts whom wish that others have early deaths. Excuses like "Oh, he's always been like that." don't cut the mustard. That shit simply isn't on.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Agree with Eva on that one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm going to vote for Option 2 but it's more extreme than personally I'd like. I'll try and explain:

The current moderating style is to not moderate (someone has been following Bruce Lee's philosophies a little too much :D) which is perfect in theory but in reality it just leads to lots of childish bitch fighting my some members (myself included).

Now given that on other forums they don't have this problem, it has to be fixable without the need for an impracticable Ignore button. If Tom would step in more often and if it came to it, ban a member for 24 hours in extreme cases (to calm down), I bet we'd see a happier forum.

I'm certainly not asking for anything extreme, just more often than is the current style. Tom is an intelligent chap and I have trust he'd know when to step in, and what action to take.

Members would realise they need to have manners and use some self control (again myself included). That's how it seems to work and work well on other forums. That's just my opinion anyway.

p.s - I still think we need 2 moderators, if nothing else to give a second opinion. If he wants it, I vote for Hungfist.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
I'm certainly not asking for anything extreme, just more often than is the current style. Tom is an intelligent chap and I have trust he'd know when to step in, and what action to take.
See Tom!? See!?!?! THIS is why I didnt want you to delete that thread and those posts a few months ago! You see now!?!?

:D :D :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

I'm gonna go with a mixture of Option 2 and Option 3 for a while, then.
See how it goes.

I'll try to spot potential problems and stop people before things go out of control.
I'll try and provide a detailed analysis of every incident to see if we can learn something from them.

Recurrent troll behaviour will be underlined and punished if necessary.

@Yi:
Do I need to remind you that Brad acknowledged his mistake regarding that particular thread?
I clearly remember what he said, and so do you. But we're not going to hold that against him, are we?
If you said something wrong and wanted to correct it, you could count on me to help you fix it.

All can be forgiven, nothing can be forgotten.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Can I also suggest (myself included) we all stop correcting each others English, that includes you Shingster and Eva too.

Please.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Nah, sometimes it is necessary when in arguments with particularly stubborn, clueless individuals with huge egos.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

tom2681 wrote:
@Yi:
Do I need to remind you that Brad acknowledged his mistake regarding that particular thread?
I clearly remember what he said, and so do you. But we're not going to hold that against him, are we?
Well... fact is that he did make those 'mistakes', which was ridiculously funny as well, and it's just a shame that we (as in YOU and Brad), shrugged them under the rug so we can 'pretend' it didnt happen.
If you said something wrong and wanted to correct it, you could count on me to help you fix it.
TBH, I feel people should think before they post, regardless of emotions. Editing typos or just adding some additional info is ofcourse normal. Changing posts to change/alter the whole message, so everyone who responds to it suddenly looks like a dick, is NOT ok...
Deleting whole threads simply because he has changed his mind or calmed down, I'm not a fan off. I understand why he wants it, and why you helped him but TBH he also could have just opted to say " OK I was outta line, over-emotional cause was being attacked by everyone and 'banned', and I overreacted..."
It wasnt as if in his 'GRrrr angry!' thread the rest of us were taking it very seriously. We knew it was just a temporary flare of anger and emotions.
All can be forgiven, nothing can be forgotten.
Exactly. So why remove it!? First of all, the thread was hillarious (for us, not so much for Brad, although in time it could have been :P ), secondly, we all understand why he was angry (even though we obviously agreed with what happened and were happy with it), and thirdly, I just dont think people can post huge outburst or BS or whatever, and then delete it and ask people to pretend it never happened.

As I've said before, many many times: Brad can be a likeable guy in 1 thread, and act like a total prick in the other. At times, he can be a bit too much of a prick, making the same mistakes over and over again, and we can get overly annoyed with him.
Do I want him dead? No. Do I want him banned? No. Would I put him on 'ignore'? depends highly on his behaviour but I doubt it, as I dont like censorship. At the time I just felt he was unfit as a mod, and I still feel that way. As a normal user I can live with it, although I'm sure we'll butt heads again in the coming years.

TBH, I dont really have problems with anyone else on this board or on most other boards (on some dutch political boards I have some right-wing adversaries though...)
I also never had a problem with Mr. Gil and even often defended him at times, if I did understand what he was trying to say while other didnt and attacked him for it...
My relationship with Gil was always a friendly and respectfull one.

Ofcourse, Grim is now the biggest pest on this forum, always going on and on and on about who he stabbed and who he slept with, and how many cars he has stolen etc etc. That dude has issues.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:shrugged them under the rug so we can 'pretend' it didnt happen.
I wouldn't do such a thing and I don't believe Tom would either. I cannot even remember the details. It amazes me how long some people's memories are (not directed at anyone in particular).

Are you talking about the thread I start bashing you and Lourdes, which Tom then deleted? Please tell me you've not brought that one up again :D.
Yi-Long wrote:At the time I just felt he was unfit as a mod, and I still feel that way. As a normal user I can live with it, although I'm sure we'll butt heads again in the coming years.
I'd agree with that. I was unemployed at the time.
Yi-Long wrote:TBH, I dont really have problems with anyone else on this board or on most other boards
Am I to presume you have a problem with me? I'm just wondering :) :) :).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:shrugged them under the rug so we can 'pretend' it didnt happen.
I wouldn't do such a thing and I don't believe Tom would either. I cannot even remember the details. It amazes me how long some people's memories are (not directed at anyone in particular).

Are you talking about the thread I start bashing you and Lourdes, which Tom then deleted? Please tell me you've not brought that one up again :D.
Yeah, that one, plus one other where you deleted all your own posts I believe. I only brought it up to make the joke to Tom though, as I mentioned at the time it was a shame it was deleted cause I knew it would have been fun to read back at a later stage (like today, where you 'trust Tom's judgement': that's not what you said back then! :D :D :D )
Yi-Long wrote:At the time I just felt he was unfit as a mod, and I still feel that way. As a normal user I can live with it, although I'm sure we'll butt heads again in the coming years.
I'd agree with that. I was unemployed at the time.
TBH, that shouldnt be an excuse ofcourse. I'm a dick regardless of having a job or not. :P You were just overdoing it all a bit at the time, both as a user as well as a mod, so it came to a huge clash. That's happens.
Yi-Long wrote:TBH, I dont really have problems with anyone else on this board or on most other boards
Am I to presume you have a problem with me? I'm just wondering :) :) :).
Yeah, sometimes I have a problem with you, depending on how you behave. I'm sure some, at times, have problems with me, depending on how I behave (and those bastards should be kicked in the nuts, according to new rules I will impose once I take over leadership of this world)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:Yeah, that one, plus one other where you deleted all your own posts I believe.
Kind of. I edited out all the posts I'd typed whilst using the temporary account, Tom created. I did this purely because I wouldn't have access to them any more (especially now the accounts been deleted). I dislike the idea of not having access to words I've written previously. Contrary to what Romero seems to think I barely ever edit out "the context" of my post (not recently anyway), usually it's just to alter typos and to better explain myself.
Yi-Long wrote:I only brought it up to make the joke to Tom though, as I mentioned at the time it was a shame it was deleted cause I knew it would have been fun to read back at a later stage (like today, where you 'trust Tom's judgement': that's not what you said back then! :D :D :D )
As you were "joking" fair enough. What I said "back then" shouldn't be taken as an accurate portrayal of my character. I told Tom to go "fuck himself" about a dozen times in 5 minutes, something I wouldn't normally even think of doing :D. He may still have the e-mails.
Yi-Long wrote:TBH, that shouldnt be an excuse ofcourse. I'm a dick regardless of having a job or not. :P
How long have you been unemployed? With way too much time on your hands. IMO it's a fair reason. Swiftly moving on . . .
Yi-Long wrote:Yeah, sometimes I have a problem with you, depending on how you behave.
I guess it could be a different choice of words, over the meaning of "problem with". I've never had a problem with you, although I have found you very annoying, if you will.

Anyway I'm so utterly bored of the whole thing. IMO it should be a "non-discussion", dead and buried.
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39

Post by Godzooki »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Option 2.

I'm particular sick of immature cunts whom wish that others have early deaths. Excuses like "Oh, he's always been like that." don't cut the mustard. That shit simply isn't on.
The internet hardman speaks again. :lol:

Get back in your box ya wee fud!

Option 4 for me! :)
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Option 1 or 4 but tbh for a forum with 20 regular posters it's all a mountain out of a molehill ! let us all continue to vent our spleen and move on,i don't believe anyone here holds grudges..
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:I don't believe anyone here holds grudges..
They most certainly do :(.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Nah, my grudge is against Gil!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.