Fuck, I just found that Australasian releases, both DVD and BD, only have the Theatrical Cut (just like the UK releases).
Why not include the DC? Fuck you Paramount, Warner US is getting my money.
It seems that the only way to get the DC in either UK or Australasia (other than importing) is to buy the PS3 disc compilation version of the Watchmen game, which has been panned by the many critics. At least it will be a HD version, but you're also getting a shit game.
Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience is an innovative, retail Blu-ray Hi-Def game and film hybrid which will include Watchmen: The End is Nigh Parts 1 and 2 and the Watchmen: Director’s Cut on Blu-ray. This new cut of the action-packed blockbuster includes an additional 25 minutes of footage not seen in theaters, available only on Blu-ray and DVD. The two-disc collectible set will also feature exclusive artwork in a premium package. The game will be playable on the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system which can also play the Blu-ray disc of Watchmen: Director’s Cut. The Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience will be available on July 21 for a suggested retail price of $49.99.
Yup I know it does seem that the comic readers esspecially want it back in the film Bigtime, along with all the other stuff missing from the comics. But then I have no reason to even buy the comics as I love the film
I will let them argue over and over and over again which is better the film or comic. All I can say is the film worked the way it was, even if them fans thought the changes were insulting to the comic etc.. I think they forget it's a film, not a comic.
Yes its a film, but don't you think it should be faithful to it's original source material? It's like a film based on a book, would you expect filmmakers to chuck out all elements of a source novel?
Come on Grim, you very well know by that it's often necessary to drop and/or add bits and pieces when going from one medium to another. I.e. budgetary and time constraints, the fact that certain things from one medium just do not work in another, etc.
Any sensible director would've lopped all of that Black Freighter business from a film adaptation, just as Schneider did. It may give a lot of insight into why the Adrian character is the way he is, but it would've left the viewer asking "What did all of that pirate stuff have to do with anything? It went nowhere."
In film, having good pacing is more often than not quite important. You have more opportunity to take your time to tell a story in other mediums, especially with literature.