What do you think of our forum smilies?

User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

Does anyone else find the smilies to these boards annoyingly innapropriate 99% of the time? This is a forum that sees some pretty bizarre comments and heated debates day in day out, but almost all of the 2000 smiley emoticons posters have to choose from express emotions that you're rarely trying to convey. For example the emoticons on The DVD Forums with their facetious :nuts: smiley seem far more appropriate for use on these boards!

Anyone else agree? If so what do you think about me giving the emoticons a revamp?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

TBH I only ever use the 20 or so which you can see without clicking on the silly link. That needs sorting out somehow.
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 15:39

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Godzooki »

Shingster wrote:Does anyone else find the smilies to these boards annoyingly innapropriate 99% of the time? This is a forum that sees some pretty bizarre comments and heated debates day in day out, but almost all of the 2000 smiley emoticons posters have to choose from express emotions that you're rarely trying to convey. For example the emoticons on The DVD Forums with there facetious :nuts: smiley seem far more appropriate for use on these boards!

Anyone else agree? If so what do you think about me giving the emoticons a revamp?
Of all the Forums i frequent our smilies are by far the worst! Get rid and replace Mate.
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by grim_tales »

I thimk some should be changed. The happy one ( :) ) doesnt even look all that happy.
I preffered the smilies on Bullets 2.0 or even Old Bullets.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:The happy one ( :) ) doesnt even look all that happy.
Agreed. I've thought that too. I use the laughing one to actually show happiness, which is stupid.
grim_tales wrote:I preffered the smilies on Bullets 2.0 or even Old Bullets.
You can remember that far back?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah, well some of them. VBulletin smilies are better :)
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

OK, what I've done now is remove all the smilies I thought served no real applicable function and increased the choice of smilies from the quick post page. Let me know what you think of this.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

Good work except didn't you go a bit trigger happy with removing smilies? :D. There's barely any more when showing all.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

Yeah I didn't see the point in having that many myself, I honestly cannot remember the last time anyone used any significant portion of those extra smilies. I can always bring them back though if members want them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

Agreed in principle. I just meant you may have gone a bit overboard, maybe add a handful back in.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by gasteropod »

Brad would display his feelings on the matter via emoticon, but you've removed the appropriate one :lol:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by grim_tales »

The :thumbs: one is good. I like the :banghead: smiley :D
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

They're all part of the original smiley pack grim, you just couldn't bloody find them amongst all the drek! I can't actually add any new emoticons myself, it has to be done by someone with access to the webspace (I think).
gasteropod wrote:Brad would display his feelings on the matter via emoticon, but you've removed the appropriate one :lol:
:lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Brad would display his feelings on the matter via emoticon, but you've removed the appropriate one :lol:
Ha ha, very good.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

Lourdes has sorted me out with the details to access the BnB smilies directory so now I can make my own additions, so I'll be fleshing out our smilies over the next few days (depending on how much time I have). I've started with updating our standard happy smiley [:)] which now looks like this: :). Let me know if you think that is an improvement.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Markgway »

I had a soft spot for the green smile... but otherwise no complaints. :clap:
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

Please bring back greenie.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Shingster »

Back by popular demand. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by bradavon »

Where's? It's yellow :(. The rest are good, especially the smiley face, which is now actually smiling.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by gasteropod »

I preferred the old smiling face because for me it was synonymous with Grim haha
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by grim_tales »

Hey!! :(

You mean :lol: ?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by gasteropod »

Nope I'm referring to the one that used to be : ) which now results in this one: :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by grim_tales »

I see :)
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by Lourdes »

Shing, in case you deleted them I uploaded a zip of the old smilies.
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Re: What do you think of our forum smilies?

Post by HungFist »

I need that "drunken smiley". It always seemed like "in love" to me so I used it to express my love towards idols.