Zelda: Windwaker... frikkin' awesome! :)

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Zelda: Windwaker... frikkin' awesome! :)

Post by Yi-Long »

... called in sick today for school, and played this game all day... and when I say all day, I MEAN, all day. Been a very VERY long time ago that a game has grabbed my devotion like this...
Anyone else here played it? how did you like it?

I LOVE the graphics and the humour, and the story thusfar. It all reminds me a bit of the anime One Piece... I love the character design.
Controls are good, but not great, but that is to be expected of a 3d game like this which uses multiple functions for the same buttons, so I can live with it :)

When you guys played it, did you just stick to the story, or did you do all the sidequests and stuff? I tend to do all the sidequests, which eats up ALOT of the time...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I loved this game. I was a bit worried before this game was released, due to all the screenshots which showed the new graphic engine. But once set in motion it became a wonderful experience.

The only thing that bugs me are the long rides with the boat you HAVE to take.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

thelostdragon wrote:I loved this game. I was a bit worried before this game was released, due to all the screenshots which showed the new graphic engine. But once set in motion it became a wonderful experience.

The only thing that bugs me are the long rides with the boat you HAVE to take.
Yeah, I heard the complaint about the boat rides before. I havent really used the boat much, yet ... so can't really complain about it either. I just sailed to that island with the bird-people, and back to the islandI first landed where I found the boat ...
I'll probably use the boat rides to get myself a drink and stuff, cause I usually neglect thirst and hunger while I'm gaming...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Hmmm.. starting to get a bit less enthusiastic right now, cause I'm supposed to go to another island, but it ain't showing on the map...
Everytime I go in a direction, my boat turns around, and doesnt want to take me there (yet) and says we first need to go to our 'destination, which is marked on the map...
I see a purple thingy blinking, but when I try to go there my boat also stops and turns around... so either something is wrong with the game, or I'm doing something wrong... either way, it's annoying.

edit: annoying problem solved. I tried sailing from the cute lil town to thenew place, but you have to go straight from the bird-people's island...
Now at a forest island thingy...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Ah, I see. Have you already got one of the little cute wooden guys that help you throughout some of the dungeons?
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I doubt you mean those guys made out of leafs.. so no, not yet:)
About to enter the evil forrest or whatever its called... took a lil break
The game is too addictive...

Just seen a couple of trailers of F-Zero on gametrailers: Damn! Looks stunning!
Great design.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

I tell you the gamecube is an underrated console, it has such good games, Zelda, Resident Evil 4 (its blown my mind), Metal Gear remake (awesome cut scenes)... I just hope the next gen for nintendo is also backward compatiable ala Playstation series :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah Revolution will be backwards compatable with 'Cube, Slasher. :)

Also you'll be able to download NES, SNES and N64 games for some money. :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I don't think the Cube is 'underrated' ... I think everyone knows it has a couple of GREA games on it... but that's the problem. It has about 5-10 really great games, which just isnt enough for any console. Plus it lacks racers and good shooters, fighters, etc. The joypad isn't much help either, as it's too 'original' for it's own good, it seems...

Ofcourse, there are also great games for the Cube, that haven't been and probably will never be released over here in Europe. The Cube games of Naruto seem to be very good games. It's a shame they wont be released :'(
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

The Cube games of Naruto seem to be very good games. It's a shame they wont be released
I so want to watch the anime of this. Didn't know they made a game, got any screenshots?

Cheers Grim, excellent news that Revolution will be backward compatable. Interesting read that we will be able to download nes, snes and n64 games. Can't wait to see that happen. This is what Nintendo need to do.

Yi-Long you are right, its don't have good shooters, i really don't mind the joypad, but Nintendo should have got GTA for this. Even Ridge Racer or anything. That one thing that is lacking.

Remember in the snes era, nintendo wanted to be all about family so there censored mortal kombat, when the backclash happened, they released mortal kombat 2 in its uncut form, which was excellent.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

When you shooter do you FPS, or old scrolling ones like Ikaruga?
Thats very good, tough as nails old school blaster :D

I want to get Shigami No Shiro 2 (sp?) at some point too but I have not got round to it yet :D

I'd love to see Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and Rare's back catalogue available for download 8) Not sure it will happen though :?
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

When you shooter do you FPS, or old scrolling ones like Ikaruga?
Hehehe i have this for the dreamcast, So excellent and never gets old. I keep my dreamcast for House of the dead 2 - perfect clone including lightgun :D :D, Ikruga and Shenmue 1 and 2 (Still playing Shenmue 2, completed Shenmue 1, love the scene with the hero and the girl riding on the motobike).

Yeah i agree Grim, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye would be soo great to see as a download.

Whats Shigami No Shiro 2 like?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Dunno? :? I havent played it, I'd liked to though. Looks similar to Ikaruga :)
Have you heard about an RPG for the 'Cube called Giftpia? Looks quirky and different (I'm not used to RPGs much, loved Paper Mario though).

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sear ... 42&Go.y=10

Never played a Zelda game either :o Though I hear Twighlight Princess is out soon.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

slasher13 wrote:I keep my dreamcast for [...] Shenmue 1 and 2 (Still playing Shenmue 2, completed Shenmue 1, love the scene with the hero and the girl riding on the motobike).
One of the best gaming experience I ever had. I spent the whole spring holidays to finish the first game. It was totally awesome. Haven't played the second and now I know it won't be a finished series, I dare not to play the second part. After beating it I would just want to know how the story continues.
Never played a Zelda game either Though I hear Twighlight Princess is out soon.
This will so be my game on its release date. Can't wait. "Zelda" belongs to my all-time favourite game series.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I thought Shenmue was a bit boring and slow-moving, plus I felt it was a bit too small. The extremely crappy boring american voice-overs didnt help much either.
I didnt hate it or anything, but compared to say, my experience with Zelda, where I'm constantly awed, I'd say Shenmue kinda failed to do that for me.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

One of the best gaming experience I ever had. I spent the whole spring holidays to finish the first game. It was totally awesome
Salaam LostDragon :D, Totally with you, i loved this game soo much it was a great gaming experience. I can see where Yi-Long comes from, its sorta you like it or Love it. The music is sooo good i just loved it.
I just want to completed Shenmue 2 and then wait for Shenimue 3.... :D :D

Haven't completed Zelda yet, i had this game for ages but just started playing it, I'm on an island with the bird people at the moment, right at the beginning. It is a good game, cell shading is really good. I thought i would hate it alot. But i am surprised at how good it is
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Think I should give Wind Waker a try then Slasher?
Giftpia (out Feb next year) looks good too.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

slasher13 wrote:
One of the best gaming experience I ever had. I spent the whole spring holidays to finish the first game. It was totally awesome
Salaam LostDragon :D, Totally with you, i loved this game soo much it was a great gaming experience. I can see where Yi-Long comes from, its sorta you like it or Love it. The music is sooo good i just loved it.
I just want to completed Shenmue 2 and then wait for Shenimue 3.... :D :D

Haven't completed Zelda yet, i had this game for ages but just started playing it, I'm on an island with the bird people at the moment, right at the beginning. It is a good game, cell shading is really good. I thought i would hate it alot. But i am surprised at how good it is
Totally agree on the Shenmue 1 soundtrack, man. That was awesome. I downloaded it back then and it's still in my head. Very memorable. I cant remember if they really used it much in the game though (I downloaded the soundtracks of segaweb.com), or if the western version had a different soundtrack then the japanese or whatever, but the japanese soundtrack was awesome. One of the best game soundtracks ever (Lost Eden, an old PC game, also had a great soundtrack)

Back on zelda-topic: Been in the evil forrest and all, collected all 3 pearls, and connected them through placing them on the different islands, which made a huge fortress of the Gods appear, which would test my skillz and thus give me the power I needed to help my lil sister. So that's where I am right now.

Lost Dragon mentioned that sailing becomes a bore, and I can understand where he's coming from. The sailing itself I don't really mind, but being attacked by seamonsters, is kinda irritating. However, I once sailed into a hurricane, and after I was thrown out, my boat mentioned something about the possibility of harnessing that power if we would defeat teh hurricane, so we could use it to 'warp' across the map ... so I think that problem will solve itself later on in the game.

I have a big question though: Where the hell is Zelda? Arent we supposed to rescue her? Or will she enter the story later on?

Grim: if you can find it on discount, and you already have a Cube, I'd say go for it. It's great if you have a couple of days off so you can get some dedicated play in. It really absorbs you, although it isnt flawless. Sometimes it's a bit unclear what you have to do next, and there are also some other very slight niggles... but overall it's one of the best games I have played thusfar. So if you can get it for cheap (and try to get the version which has Ocarina of Time bundled in), you'd do yourself a very nice favourby buying it...

I'm off to buy F-Zero now. Read the reviews, saw the trailers, should be very good, and it's a good game to play when I don't have hours to spend on gaming, but just 30 minutes orso... (plus it's only 20 euro)
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

I would say Try before you Buy.. see if you like it :D. Giftpia looks very good, although i'm not really into RPG. Prob the reason why i never fully got into the final fantasy games. Although 7 was veryy good. Can't wait for the movie - Advert to come out.

Parasite Eve was good rpg mixed in with Surivial horror
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Yi-Long wrote:Lost Dragon mentioned that sailing becomes a bore, and I can understand where he's coming from. The sailing itself I don't really mind, but being attacked by seamonsters, is kinda irritating. However, I once sailed into a hurricane, and after I was thrown out, my boat mentioned something about the possibility of harnessing that power if we would defeat teh hurricane, so we could use it to 'warp' across the map ... so I think that problem will solve itself later on in the game.
Yeah, but you won't be able to teleport to any field on the map, but just to a number of fields. Sometimes I decided to just sail to certain fields, because playing the song that creates the whirlwind takes a bit as well and the animation that plays after that, too.
I'm off to buy F-Zero now. Read the reviews, saw the trailers, should be very good, and it's a good game to play when I don't have hours to spend on gaming, but just 30 minutes orso... (plus it's only 20 euro)
Hmmm... I had read the reviews as well, but just couldn't get along with this game. You mention 20 Euros... last week I bought a GameCube game for 20 Euros, too. It's called "Second Sight" and it's absolutely awesome. You should get that one instead.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yi/Slasher - Wind Walker is £17.99 @ Play.com - doesnt have OOT bundled with it though.
Worth a pop at £18, or maybe a 2nd hand copy could be bought cheaper?
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

That a good price for it. I would get it for that price :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Back to F-Zero for a bit ... played it now a lil bit since yesterday, and got to say it doesnt look as spectacular as I had hoped, or had seen from the trailers. Probably because I'm too focussed on the road in front of me instead of enjoying the scenery. It's a nice game, but it hasnt really 'grabbed' me yet, in a way that SSX3 did. I did win the first championship (Ruby?) on 'normal', and I finished a couple of chapters in the story-mode...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I thought Wind Waker was good but very disappointing, it was WAY too easy in comparison to OoT; it was too short (I can't believe they scrapped two dungeon! :evil: ); the sailing was very tedious; and by the end the game had deteriorated into a series of fetch quests. The visuals were fantastic though, the cel-shading ruled.