The General HD Releases Thread!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Exactly, because it's obviously not full 1080p. It means you have to zoom in on it, which has a slight loss of detail, and a minute bit of image cut off either side. Stuff like that annoys me, despite not being that major. If it's advertised as being a 1080p release, then that's what it should be. :shock:
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Thanks Gasteropod. I'll be interested to hear what you think of 2001. If you hate it LMK as I maybe interest to buy it off you.
They're not marks you can clear off yourself? How severe are the scratches? Are they definitely actual scratches? Thanks for the heads up.I got Blade Runer, mine has to go back already Sad all 5! HD DVD's are a mess, put in by hands covered in greasy finger marks and scratches! idiots. WEAR GLOVES.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Well I've just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I thought it was brilliant. The special effects are amazing throughout, I don't know how they managed all that back then! I appreciated there not being any sound in space as well haha. I found the ending a bit confusing, but I imagine you're supposed to really. I didn't understand why we went from hearing about the monolith being discovered, to it floating in outer space
The Blu-ray transfer was stunning, shame we have to settle for much less so often.
The Blu-ray transfer was stunning, shame we have to settle for much less so often.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Nah they are a mess proper scratching sadly, I want perfection, even slight marks make HD DVD's go off, more so than dvds I find. I never wipe them down, that can create a whole load more mess I find.bradavon wrote:They're not marks you can clear off yourself? How severe are the scratches? Are they definitely actual scratches? Thanks for the heads up.I got Blade Runer, mine has to go back already Sad all 5! HD DVD's are a mess, put in by hands covered in greasy finger marks and scratches! idiots. WEAR GLOVES.
and if I ever wanted to sell them, well I would have to say the condition and that puts people off instantly.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Cool about the price, I've just ordered it from there cheers. Never used Send It.com before, bit annoyed to find that Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet are also £11.89 on there when I recently bought them for £13.99 at Play, ah well.saltysam wrote:Run,Lola,Run blu-ray is out Feb 18th and is confirmed region-free. Almost Famous (extended) is out the week before ,also region free confirmed. Both are £11.89 each at Sendit.com,not bad pricing.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
You've never used Sendit before? They're one of the best on the net, they're not always the cheapest though.
Is Disc 5 the proper Disc 5?
I find "minor" marks wipe off easily.I never wipe them down, that can create a whole load more mess I find.
Are you going to send it back or keep it? What numpties! If I get the HD-DVD I'll swap it with you, if you like?saltysam wrote:I received my Amazon Blade Runner order today.I ordered the HD-DVD version but they've sent me the blu-ray one!
Is Disc 5 the proper Disc 5?
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I'm glad you liked it. All the dead silent space scenes are amazing. That's how space is should be portrayed. The effects are excellent, it shows so well how unneeded CGI often is. Those effects are real and not dreamt up in a computer.gasteropod wrote:Well I've just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I thought it was brilliant. The special effects are amazing throughout, I don't know how they managed all that back then! I appreciated there not being any sound in space as well haha.
Yep. The ending is very, very surreal. I suggest you read this ace Empire theory on it. The guy could be wrong but it does help to add depth to the story. Here it is:gasteropod wrote:I found the ending a bit confusing, but I imagine you're supposed to really.
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=132770
It's one of those things that it's best not to try and disect too much.gasteropod wrote:I didn't understand why we went from hearing about the monolith being discovered, to it floating in outer space![]()
You luck B*****dgasteropod wrote:The Blu-ray transfer was stunning, shame we have to settle for much less so often.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Not seen this so called classic in many a year, always seen it on TV from time to time over the year and it never grabbed me as much as it may could have. This time it worked and hit the spot, the cast, the setting and the characters, it just came together for once it seems.
I was never a big fan of Blade Runner, seen it only on TV, the HD version is something else and changes the film completely. The awful cropped to death TV versions are a waste of a film. This HD version looks mind blowing from the first shots of the night time city to the wet finale. I just could not get my head around that the film 25 years old! The effects are flawless in this cut, many really do look far better than most new films now. It’s such an amazing looking film from beginning to end. Not a lot happens in the film mind you, but it is better than I ever remembered and it is so rich and full of beautiful style and sets, really a film to watch a few times just to take in all that you can see before you in such a deeply detailed world.
I felt I was in the city, in the rooms and with the characters as the sound made me loose reality a few times. I thought someone was in the shower in our house at the end with the water dripping. I actually paused the film a few times as the sound worked so well and I thought sounds were in the house, or outside. That does not happen often.
I was never a big fan of Blade Runner, seen it only on TV, the HD version is something else and changes the film completely. The awful cropped to death TV versions are a waste of a film. This HD version looks mind blowing from the first shots of the night time city to the wet finale. I just could not get my head around that the film 25 years old! The effects are flawless in this cut, many really do look far better than most new films now. It’s such an amazing looking film from beginning to end. Not a lot happens in the film mind you, but it is better than I ever remembered and it is so rich and full of beautiful style and sets, really a film to watch a few times just to take in all that you can see before you in such a deeply detailed world.
I felt I was in the city, in the rooms and with the characters as the sound made me loose reality a few times. I thought someone was in the shower in our house at the end with the water dripping. I actually paused the film a few times as the sound worked so well and I thought sounds were in the house, or outside. That does not happen often.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27