The General HD Releases Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Exactly, because it's obviously not full 1080p. It means you have to zoom in on it, which has a slight loss of detail, and a minute bit of image cut off either side. Stuff like that annoys me, despite not being that major. If it's advertised as being a 1080p release, then that's what it should be. :shock:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Any idea what resolution it is?

I guess they're saying the overall frame is 1080p. How extreme are the black bars?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I posted a photo on the last page lol, you obviously missed it :wink:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

2001: A Space Oddyssey arrived today; still no sign of Blade Runner...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I got Blade Runer, mine has to go back already :( all 5! HD DVD's are a mess, put in by hands covered in greasy finger marks and scratches! idiots. WEAR GLOVES.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Gasteropod. I'll be interested to hear what you think of 2001. If you hate it LMK as I maybe interest to buy it off you.
I got Blade Runer, mine has to go back already Sad all 5! HD DVD's are a mess, put in by hands covered in greasy finger marks and scratches! idiots. WEAR GLOVES.
They're not marks you can clear off yourself? How severe are the scratches? Are they definitely actual scratches? Thanks for the heads up.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Well I've just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I thought it was brilliant. The special effects are amazing throughout, I don't know how they managed all that back then! I appreciated there not being any sound in space as well haha. I found the ending a bit confusing, but I imagine you're supposed to really. I didn't understand why we went from hearing about the monolith being discovered, to it floating in outer space :?

The Blu-ray transfer was stunning, shame we have to settle for much less so often.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
I got Blade Runer, mine has to go back already Sad all 5! HD DVD's are a mess, put in by hands covered in greasy finger marks and scratches! idiots. WEAR GLOVES.
They're not marks you can clear off yourself? How severe are the scratches? Are they definitely actual scratches? Thanks for the heads up.
Nah they are a mess proper scratching sadly, I want perfection, even slight marks make HD DVD's go off, more so than dvds I find. I never wipe them down, that can create a whole load more mess I find.

and if I ever wanted to sell them, well I would have to say the condition and that puts people off instantly.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

I received my Amazon Blade Runner order today.I ordered the HD-DVD version but they've sent me the blu-ray one!
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Crieky thats bad! HD means blu Ray to them I guess.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Run,Lola,Run blu-ray is out Feb 18th and is confirmed region-free. Almost Famous (extended) is out the week before ,also region free confirmed. Both are £11.89 each at Sendit.com,not bad pricing.
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

saltysam wrote:Run,Lola,Run blu-ray is out Feb 18th and is confirmed region-free. Almost Famous (extended) is out the week before ,also region free confirmed. Both are £11.89 each at Sendit.com,not bad pricing.
Cool about the price, I've just ordered it from there cheers. Never used Send It.com before, bit annoyed to find that Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet are also £11.89 on there when I recently bought them for £13.99 at Play, ah well.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

i've decided to keep the blu-ray Blade Runner set.btw disc 5 in my set is the correct version.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

You've never used Sendit before? They're one of the best on the net, they're not always the cheapest though.
I never wipe them down, that can create a whole load more mess I find.
I find "minor" marks wipe off easily.
saltysam wrote:I received my Amazon Blade Runner order today.I ordered the HD-DVD version but they've sent me the blu-ray one!
Are you going to send it back or keep it? What numpties! If I get the HD-DVD I'll swap it with you, if you like?

Is Disc 5 the proper Disc 5?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Brad, both of those questions were answered on the post above yours lol, keep up! :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Not when I opened the page before Salty posted it ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Well I've just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I thought it was brilliant. The special effects are amazing throughout, I don't know how they managed all that back then! I appreciated there not being any sound in space as well haha.
I'm glad you liked it. All the dead silent space scenes are amazing. That's how space is should be portrayed. The effects are excellent, it shows so well how unneeded CGI often is. Those effects are real and not dreamt up in a computer.
gasteropod wrote:I found the ending a bit confusing, but I imagine you're supposed to really.
Yep. The ending is very, very surreal. I suggest you read this ace Empire theory on it. The guy could be wrong but it does help to add depth to the story. Here it is:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=132770
gasteropod wrote:I didn't understand why we went from hearing about the monolith being discovered, to it floating in outer space :?
It's one of those things that it's best not to try and disect too much.
gasteropod wrote:The Blu-ray transfer was stunning, shame we have to settle for much less so often.
You luck B*****d :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Blade Runner is staggering looking, what an eye popping remater! really looks like it was made yesterday, the special effects look better than most films now! ageless to the point of insanity. Flawless picture and sound, its amazing that so many films look shit compared to this HD DVD.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

As i'm without my bigscreen tv at the moment i'm trying to avoid watching my hd stuff on my brought from the bedroom 27 incher.tried to watch Blade Runner last night,gave up after 10 minutes,far too small for a HD viewing !
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I thought you didn't like Blade Runner?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:I thought you didn't like Blade Runner?
what's your point? i said i didn't like it when i saw it years ago but i was getting the cheap HD version and giving it another chance. i said this when i originally posted this bargain about 6 months ago :wink:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Not seen this so called classic in many a year, always seen it on TV from time to time over the year and it never grabbed me as much as it may could have. This time it worked and hit the spot, the cast, the setting and the characters, it just came together for once it seems.

I was never a big fan of Blade Runner, seen it only on TV, the HD version is something else and changes the film completely. The awful cropped to death TV versions are a waste of a film. This HD version looks mind blowing from the first shots of the night time city to the wet finale. I just could not get my head around that the film 25 years old! The effects are flawless in this cut, many really do look far better than most new films now. It’s such an amazing looking film from beginning to end. Not a lot happens in the film mind you, but it is better than I ever remembered and it is so rich and full of beautiful style and sets, really a film to watch a few times just to take in all that you can see before you in such a deeply detailed world.

I felt I was in the city, in the rooms and with the characters as the sound made me loose reality a few times. I thought someone was in the shower in our house at the end with the water dripping. I actually paused the film a few times as the sound worked so well and I thought sounds were in the house, or outside. That does not happen often.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:what's your point? i said i didn't like it when i saw it years ago but i was getting the cheap HD version and giving it another chance. i said this when i originally posted this bargain about 6 months ago :wink:
That was intended for Romero. You were posting at the same time as me.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

and I cannot say I ever loved BR, never bough the video or DVD, that says a lot. Its been a long time since I last sat and watrched it all on TV.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

There is a loophole on the new line region A Shoot em' Up which allows playback on a uk PS3. when the region incompatibility screen comes up hit menu and it takes you instantly to the film menu.