romerojpg wrote:Play have discounts available on Quidco and other sites, 6% I think it is on Quidco so there a bit off already.
Thanks. I thought you meant normal vouchers. That's worth knowing though.
romerojpg wrote:but one can read only, one can do Roms as well, and one can burn Blu Rays from what I can tell the Blu Ray Burner is the most costly, so if you were not after Blu Ray burning you could get a cheaper one I guess.
Ah then. I knew about that. Personally I'd get the burner as I can see HD Disc burning being the norm. as storage becomes larger and we learn how to copy HD Discs.
Just like DVD took over from CD.
romerojpg wrote:very helpful seeing what people think of them, seems everyone is very happy.
The margin for error on a PC drive is much smaller than a Home Player. I'm not surprised people love it.
Last edited by bradavon on 11 Jan 2008, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Yup my first PC 5 years ago was when the dvd drives had started to come onto most PC's. I paid a premium to have it on the PC, now its pants compared to even a £10 cheapo unit
Not sure I would want a slow burning Blu Ray unit yet, and be stung like I was with DVD unit, as even in a year the burners will be a fraction of the price and the media may well be cheaper than nearly 15+ quid
My Dad's first CD Player (which he later gave to me) was single speed (150Kbps) . It was such an early model it wasn't even IDE and needed it's own 8-Bit ISA card. To get audio out of it you had to use a red/white phono to 3.5mm cable out of the back of the ISA card and in to the line-in port on the sound card.
It didn't even have an eject button but instead you literally had to pull the tray out by hand. My god it was slow. It was so old we used it on Windows 3.1. Forget about reading CD-Rs/CD-RWs. My Dad used to sell IT hardware so was able to get hold of all sorts of rare stuff.
Back when the day when IT hardware cost a fortune it was very useful having a man insid 8)
bradavon wrote:My Dad's first CD Player (which he later gave to me) was single speed (150Kbps) . It was such an early model it wasn't even IDE and needed it's own 8-Bit ISA card. To get audio out of it you had to use a red/white phono to 3.5mm cable out of the back of the ISA card and in to the line-in port on the sound card.
It didn't even have an eject button but instead you literally had to pull the tray out by hand. My god it was slow. It was so old we used it on Windows 3.1. Forget about reading CD-Rs/CD-RWs. My Dad used to sell IT hardware so was able to get hold of all sorts of rare stuff.
Back when the day when IT hardware cost a fortune it was very useful having a man insid 8)
romerojpg wrote:Yup my first PC 5 years ago was when the dvd drives had started to come onto most PC's. I paid a premium to have it on the PC, now its pants compared to even a £10 cheapo unit
Not sure I would want a slow burning Blu Ray unit yet, and be stung like I was with DVD unit, as even in a year the burners will be a fraction of the price and the media may well be cheaper than nearly 15+ quid
Blu Ray burns at 6x on the LG GGW-H20L - I wouldn't call that slow.
There are a few models that I know of. Of the most common ones, the cheaper is the GGC-H20L which just reads the HD disc formats (and reads / writes DVD formats). Thats the one that seems to be around the £140 mark.
The more expensive GGW-H20L is the one that burns Blu Rays too, and thats the one thats about £180. I paid £170 from Play for the BD burner version when it first came into stock about 3 weeks ago.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Are discs £15 each? Screw that then. It's worth having though as prices will definitely come way, way down in price. For only £30 more I'd get the burner too.
There's no point copying films and BD is too untested to trust as a backup device. I wouldn't even use DVD-RW or DVD+RW as my Main backup. I use a DVD-RW for backups but as a secondary backup. I'd use DVD-RAM which is rock solid but it's too unsupported.
p.s - Is BD writing speed the same as DVD writing speed or have they changed the values again? There is no HD-DVD writer, right?