reasonably big. the 40' looked fine so i think this should be ok. it's a superslim thing that apparently takes up the room of a 42.Markgway wrote:Do you have a big room? A "46 screen would dwarf ours.
Need a new television
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
So you got £182 off and including the £699 for your old TV you had to pay £319?saltysam wrote:just under £1200
Personally I don't buy that. DVD looks better even on a Portable TV. HD on any screen size still offers a much higher resolution.saltysam wrote:i'm no HD expert but seriously to get real benefit from HD viewing a 32' is too small. a 37' at least is needed.
I'll know soon enough. I've no interest in upgrading my TV. It's easy to sell DVD Players on but selling a TV is another thing entirely.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
i disagree-Viewing HD material on my 27' LCD brought down from the bedroom temporarily is nowhere near as impressive as it was watching it on the 40' samsung.bigger is better !bradavon wrote:saltysam wrote:just under £1200
I'll know soon enough. I've no interest in upgrading my TV. It's easy to sell DVD Players on but selling a TV is another thing entirely.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
I have a 47" in my bedroom, and even my mum agrees that it doesn't look 'too big'Markgway wrote:Do you have a big room? A "46 screen would dwarf ours. We're even concerned that a "40 would be too much. That's why a "37 would - we presume - be ideal. Just waiting for the right model and right price.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
It's just what I've read in TV reviews. "37 is the minimal for getting the full HD effect - so to speak.bradavon wrote:Why do you say that? 37" is only 5" larger than 32".
At "37 it would make little to no difference. As Sam says: the screen size would need to be (much) bigger for i vs p to become an issue.That depends if you're using a FULL HD or HD Ready TV.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
That's not what I meant. A HD Ready TV wouldn't be showing you the full 1080i resolution as it will be downscaled to 1368x768 whereas a FULL HD TV you'll see the full 1080i or 1080p.Markgway wrote:At "37 it would make little to no difference. As Sam says: the screen size would need to be (much) bigger for i vs p to become an issue.
It does depend what you're used to. My Mum has a 14" 4:3 Mono TV (that truly sucks) and she thinks my 32" TV is massive. She is finally going to get a new TV this year but absolutely won't go higher than 26".gasteropod wrote:I have a 47" in my bedroom, and even my mum agrees that it doesn't look 'too big'
It's likely to be HD Ready but that's a bonus as she'll never use it. In her case her front room is long and thin so anything much bigger than 26" would look awful. I suspect she'll go for 23" though as she's so used to tiny TVs even slightly large ones she dislikes. I can tell you it's hard work watching TV on her 14" TV. I've told her I'm not watching subtitled films on it any more as it's just too hard work.
Unless you have a massive bedroom I suspect I personally I would find it too big. I don't like it when you walk into a room and all you see is this massive TV. It should complement it not overtake it IMO.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I'd prefer that than no settings.
I always get the manual out a day or so after I buy something to make sure I'm using it to it's best. They only takes 10-15 minutes to go through. I don't know why most don't bother. Like PC's electronics need tinkering to get the best out of them.
You should try using a Home Cinema Separates Amp to see how many options an electronics hardware can have
I always get the manual out a day or so after I buy something to make sure I'm using it to it's best. They only takes 10-15 minutes to go through. I don't know why most don't bother. Like PC's electronics need tinkering to get the best out of them.
You should try using a Home Cinema Separates Amp to see how many options an electronics hardware can have
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
to early to say really,i'll have to watch a few discs first. before i came to work i looked at Cars which was jawdroppingly incredible and the best HD presentation i've ever seen-but i won't count that because it's pixar and their stuff looks great even on bog standard tvs. The Kingdom on the Tosh looked Ace.bradavon wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10 how much better do they look to your old TV?
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
