Need a new television

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:Do you have a big room? A "46 screen would dwarf ours.
reasonably big. the 40' looked fine so i think this should be ok. it's a superslim thing that apparently takes up the room of a 42.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:What would the right price be? 46" would be too big for me too. I'd get either 32" or 37" for my room size. I don't like a TV to engulf the room.
i'm no HD expert but seriously to get real benefit from HD viewing a 32' is too small. a 37' at least is needed.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:just under £1200
So you got £182 off and including the £699 for your old TV you had to pay £319?
saltysam wrote:i'm no HD expert but seriously to get real benefit from HD viewing a 32' is too small. a 37' at least is needed.
Personally I don't buy that. DVD looks better even on a Portable TV. HD on any screen size still offers a much higher resolution.

I'll know soon enough. I've no interest in upgrading my TV. It's easy to sell DVD Players on but selling a TV is another thing entirely.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:just under £1200

I'll know soon enough. I've no interest in upgrading my TV. It's easy to sell DVD Players on but selling a TV is another thing entirely.
i disagree-Viewing HD material on my 27' LCD brought down from the bedroom temporarily is nowhere near as impressive as it was watching it on the 40' samsung.bigger is better !
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I never said it wasn't more impressive just that there worth watching HD on a smaller display.

32" is still a decent size, unlike 28" which like you say is pretty small.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I got the impression that anything under "37 wasn't worth the bother for HD.

"37 is a good size because it's big enough so that you get the full HD effect, but small enough so that 1080i looks as good as 1080p.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

37' will be fine-to see any real difference between 1080i and 1080p i'd say you'd need to be looking at huge 50' plus screens and even then the improvement would be minimal.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I got the impression that anything under "37 wasn't worth the bother for HD.
Why do you say that? 37" is only 5" larger than 32".
Markgway wrote:but small enough so that 1080i looks as good as 1080p.
That depends if you're using a FULL HD or HD Ready TV.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:Do you have a big room? A "46 screen would dwarf ours. We're even concerned that a "40 would be too much. That's why a "37 would - we presume - be ideal. Just waiting for the right model and right price.
I have a 47" in my bedroom, and even my mum agrees that it doesn't look 'too big' :?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Why do you say that? 37" is only 5" larger than 32".
It's just what I've read in TV reviews. "37 is the minimal for getting the full HD effect - so to speak.
That depends if you're using a FULL HD or HD Ready TV.
At "37 it would make little to no difference. As Sam says: the screen size would need to be (much) bigger for i vs p to become an issue.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:At "37 it would make little to no difference. As Sam says: the screen size would need to be (much) bigger for i vs p to become an issue.
That's not what I meant. A HD Ready TV wouldn't be showing you the full 1080i resolution as it will be downscaled to 1368x768 whereas a FULL HD TV you'll see the full 1080i or 1080p.
gasteropod wrote:I have a 47" in my bedroom, and even my mum agrees that it doesn't look 'too big' :?
It does depend what you're used to. My Mum has a 14" 4:3 Mono TV (that truly sucks) and she thinks my 32" TV is massive. She is finally going to get a new TV this year but absolutely won't go higher than 26".

It's likely to be HD Ready but that's a bonus as she'll never use it. In her case her front room is long and thin so anything much bigger than 26" would look awful. I suspect she'll go for 23" though as she's so used to tiny TVs even slightly large ones she dislikes. I can tell you it's hard work watching TV on her 14" TV. I've told her I'm not watching subtitled films on it any more as it's just too hard work.

Unless you have a massive bedroom I suspect I personally I would find it too big. I don't like it when you walk into a room and all you see is this massive TV. It should complement it not overtake it IMO.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Screen sizes are going bigger,i suspect in little more than 5 years 37-40' will be average size for a household tv.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I suspect you're right. If I were to buy a new TV I'd probably get a 37". I'm wary any bigger would look too obtrusive in my living room. I'd be more concerned about things such as 100 Hertz, 24p, number of HDMI ports, Freeview HD support, built in PVR.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

my tv has arrived and the range of settings is utterly confusing :? will have to have a play to get the best for me
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'd prefer that than no settings.

I always get the manual out a day or so after I buy something to make sure I'm using it to it's best. They only takes 10-15 minutes to go through. I don't know why most don't bother. Like PC's electronics need tinkering to get the best out of them.

You should try using a Home Cinema Separates Amp to see how many options an electronics hardware can have :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

set up blu-ray 24fps 1080p using some settings i found on avforums checked a couple of discs and they look stunning :D
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much better do they look to your old TV?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

My entire bedroom is about "47 so that kinda limits me.
Image
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Why have my posts disappeared from this thread? :(
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Really? It wasn't me.

Oh yeah. How weird. I think there is a bug, whereby some posts get deleted. I think there is a thread over in the Bullets Feedback subforum. I seem to remember Mordib was going to look into it, eons ago :D

I've only once had one of my posts deleted.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I sometimes get my posts deleted too...............


But that's usually Brad. 8)
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10 how much better do they look to your old TV?
to early to say really,i'll have to watch a few discs first. before i came to work i looked at Cars which was jawdroppingly incredible and the best HD presentation i've ever seen-but i won't count that because it's pixar and their stuff looks great even on bog standard tvs. The Kingdom on the Tosh looked Ace.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:My entire bedroom is about "47
Do you sleep standing up :lol:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:lol:
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:
Markgway wrote:My entire bedroom is about "47
Do you sleep standing up :lol:
No, but I sometimes wake up erect. :wink:
Image