Connecting Vista to Xbox Media player...

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Connecting Vista to Xbox Media player...

Post by Yi-Long »

... planning on doing this in the coming week, so might as well start a thread where all the questions and info can go into...

I have Vista, I have a modded Xbox.

Now, I have a router that's currently not used for anything, but do I NEED a router to connect my xbox to my Vista, or can I also do it through a direct connection!?

Or do I need Vista > cable > router > cable > Xbox?

Also, when everything is connected, how will I be able to look for contact between the 2 machines!? Do I make contact from my Xbox towards my Vista, or from my Vista to my Xbox?

Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Vista is a computer now? ;) Anyway, you'll get the least headaches going through the router. PC -> any ethernet cable -> router -> any ethernet cable -> Xbox.

Oh come on, Yi, how many times have I told you how to do this? You have to FTP into the Xbox from your PC. Thus data transfer is done from the PC side.

Here's a FTP tutorial.
Yi-Long wrote:Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
I don't know, sorry. Maybe google the manufacturer and model of the remote for specifications and/or reviews?

First try plugging in the receiver, Vista may already have drivers for the device, otherwise you'll have to install them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

How do you connect to the web? Surely you don't use a USB Modem when you have a router? Unless the Router isn't ADSL or Cable enaled.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Vista is a computer now? ;) Anyway, you'll get the least headaches going through the router. PC -> any ethernet cable -> router -> any ethernet cable -> Xbox.

Oh come on, Yi, how many times have I told you how to do this? You have to FTP into the Xbox from your PC. Thus data transfer is done from the PC side.

Here's a FTP tutorial.
Yi-Long wrote:Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
I don't know, sorry. Maybe google the manufacturer and model of the remote for specifications and/or reviews?

First try plugging in the receiver, Vista may already have drivers for the device, otherwise you'll have to install them.
Yeah I called my PC Vista. It's a petname. :P

And sorry for asking the same thing over and over again. I'm a dummy, but I thought I might as well get all the questions I have in 1 specific thread about the issue, so it's easier to maintain etc :)

Guess I'll buy some Ethernet cables tomorrow, cause the ones I have right now are wayyy too long. :) It will be nice being able to watch my anime on my TV :)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

FYI I can always split off comments into a new thread if it's been asked and answered before.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:How do you connect to the web? Surely you don't use a USB Modem when you have a router? Unless the Router isn't ADSL or Cable enaled.
I have the router from before. Right now I connect my Vista wireless right with the wanadoo livebox, so no use for my old router anymore.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Oh right fair enough then. Those are just Wireless ADSL Routers by another name. I didn't know Wanadoo were also in Holland. I used to be with them, they're decent enough but not competitive by UK prices.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

OK, I have connected everything, installed and ran FlashFXP, and did everything that was said in that link EVA provided, and I cant get a connection going :(

Also, is this guide just for FTP, or for having a mediacenter running on your xbox so you can acces files on your pc and run it from there?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Kay Dutch boy:-
1.Configure your static IP in Windows.
2. On PC:- start > Run > cmd. In the command prompt type:- ipconfig /all . Keep this window open.
3. Fire up XBMC, go settings > Network > Assignment > Manual (Static). Fill in your Netmask, default Gateway and DNS server from the aforementioned open window on your PC. Use 192.168.0.3 for the IP address.
4. Still in XBMC:- Network > Servers. Check "Enable FTP Server". Configure the both user and password as "xbox" (minus the quotes of course.)
5. On PC:- In FlashFXP, create a new server in the list/favourites/whatever, call it Xbox or something. The address:- 192.168.0.3. Username and password:- xbox. Tick any boxes that may say "save username and password".

I can't give specific FlashFXP instructions as I'm forced to use the family Mac at the moment.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Thanks a million, man. I'll try it out tomorrow-eve (right now the wife is here), and hopefully that will work. FlashFXP settings I already know, I think.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

How did it go, Yi?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:How did it go, Yi?
I'll probably do it this afternoon, after I've cleaned everything up a bit :)
This week was a bit busy for me (believe it or not).
I DID play lots of Super Mario World though. :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Jack ass, Nintendo still make money off of that game.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Jack ass, Nintendo still make money off of that game.
So!?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Buy the GBA port and give Nintendo the revenue that they deserve.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Buy the GBA port and give Nintendo the revenue that they deserve.
No.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Hmmm... tried connecting it again, following Eva's instructions completely, but still cant seem to make a connection :(
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...