Connecting Vista to Xbox Media player...
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Connecting Vista to Xbox Media player...
... planning on doing this in the coming week, so might as well start a thread where all the questions and info can go into...
I have Vista, I have a modded Xbox.
Now, I have a router that's currently not used for anything, but do I NEED a router to connect my xbox to my Vista, or can I also do it through a direct connection!?
Or do I need Vista > cable > router > cable > Xbox?
Also, when everything is connected, how will I be able to look for contact between the 2 machines!? Do I make contact from my Xbox towards my Vista, or from my Vista to my Xbox?
Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
I have Vista, I have a modded Xbox.
Now, I have a router that's currently not used for anything, but do I NEED a router to connect my xbox to my Vista, or can I also do it through a direct connection!?
Or do I need Vista > cable > router > cable > Xbox?
Also, when everything is connected, how will I be able to look for contact between the 2 machines!? Do I make contact from my Xbox towards my Vista, or from my Vista to my Xbox?
Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Vista is a computer now?
Anyway, you'll get the least headaches going through the router. PC -> any ethernet cable -> router -> any ethernet cable -> Xbox.
Oh come on, Yi, how many times have I told you how to do this? You have to FTP into the Xbox from your PC. Thus data transfer is done from the PC side.
Here's a FTP tutorial.
First try plugging in the receiver, Vista may already have drivers for the device, otherwise you'll have to install them.
Oh come on, Yi, how many times have I told you how to do this? You have to FTP into the Xbox from your PC. Thus data transfer is done from the PC side.
Here's a FTP tutorial.
I don't know, sorry. Maybe google the manufacturer and model of the remote for specifications and/or reviews?Yi-Long wrote:Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
First try plugging in the receiver, Vista may already have drivers for the device, otherwise you'll have to install them.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Yeah I called my PC Vista. It's a petname.EvaUnit02 wrote:Vista is a computer now?Anyway, you'll get the least headaches going through the router. PC -> any ethernet cable -> router -> any ethernet cable -> Xbox.
Oh come on, Yi, how many times have I told you how to do this? You have to FTP into the Xbox from your PC. Thus data transfer is done from the PC side.
Here's a FTP tutorial.
I don't know, sorry. Maybe google the manufacturer and model of the remote for specifications and/or reviews?Yi-Long wrote:Also, my pc came with a remote control and a receiver. I havent installed any of those, but will I be able to place the receiver next to my pc so I can use the remote from my bed to search for and play media on my PC?
First try plugging in the receiver, Vista may already have drivers for the device, otherwise you'll have to install them.
And sorry for asking the same thing over and over again. I'm a dummy, but I thought I might as well get all the questions I have in 1 specific thread about the issue, so it's easier to maintain etc
Guess I'll buy some Ethernet cables tomorrow, cause the ones I have right now are wayyy too long.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I have the router from before. Right now I connect my Vista wireless right with the wanadoo livebox, so no use for my old router anymore.bradavon wrote:How do you connect to the web? Surely you don't use a USB Modem when you have a router? Unless the Router isn't ADSL or Cable enaled.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
OK, I have connected everything, installed and ran FlashFXP, and did everything that was said in that link EVA provided, and I cant get a connection going 
Also, is this guide just for FTP, or for having a mediacenter running on your xbox so you can acces files on your pc and run it from there?
Also, is this guide just for FTP, or for having a mediacenter running on your xbox so you can acces files on your pc and run it from there?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Kay Dutch boy:-
1.Configure your static IP in Windows.
2. On PC:- start > Run > cmd. In the command prompt type:- ipconfig /all . Keep this window open.
3. Fire up XBMC, go settings > Network > Assignment > Manual (Static). Fill in your Netmask, default Gateway and DNS server from the aforementioned open window on your PC. Use 192.168.0.3 for the IP address.
4. Still in XBMC:- Network > Servers. Check "Enable FTP Server". Configure the both user and password as "xbox" (minus the quotes of course.)
5. On PC:- In FlashFXP, create a new server in the list/favourites/whatever, call it Xbox or something. The address:- 192.168.0.3. Username and password:- xbox. Tick any boxes that may say "save username and password".
I can't give specific FlashFXP instructions as I'm forced to use the family Mac at the moment.
1.Configure your static IP in Windows.
2. On PC:- start > Run > cmd. In the command prompt type:- ipconfig /all . Keep this window open.
3. Fire up XBMC, go settings > Network > Assignment > Manual (Static). Fill in your Netmask, default Gateway and DNS server from the aforementioned open window on your PC. Use 192.168.0.3 for the IP address.
4. Still in XBMC:- Network > Servers. Check "Enable FTP Server". Configure the both user and password as "xbox" (minus the quotes of course.)
5. On PC:- In FlashFXP, create a new server in the list/favourites/whatever, call it Xbox or something. The address:- 192.168.0.3. Username and password:- xbox. Tick any boxes that may say "save username and password".
I can't give specific FlashFXP instructions as I'm forced to use the family Mac at the moment.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland