Idea for "What have you just seen"-thread...

tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Let's just leave things the way they are and see how it goes, ok guys? :)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Good idea. It won't work if members don't post in the right threads though and will turn into a confusing mess.

That's not me demanding people do anything btw, just what I see happening.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I didn't see anybody agree to anything Bradley, nor has anybody cared to address anything I've said. This is just a pointless exercise that makes no difference to anything, it just adds clutter and spreads it all over the board. You're just happy because it gives you an excuse to play at being moderator and we all know how much you enjoy that.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Can we please come to some census? - TV Reviews in General or the new TV Thread?
TV thread plz.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

So these phantom disagreements are the same phantom agreements you referred to? You're the one saying it was all agreed to. Are they perhaps related to your phantom HD combo? And whilst Tom may have made two of the threads, but you're the one giddy with glee who has taken it from there mkaing more topics, moving things around and having a ball.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

It's no secret why Brad has been abusing his mod powers in recent times. He's on the dole and bored out of his skull.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:It's no secret why Brad has been abusing his mod powers in recent times. He's on the dole and bored out of his skull.
Makes sense, I've been mostly stuck at home for a few weeks following some surgery and it makes me an arse.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

So, can we have the old thread back now?
There are four stickies that serve the same purpose.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Most people (I think) still think it was a good idea, but obviously the main person who wanted them waited for the work to be done then threw his teddies out of the pram and left. Muppet!

The thread was useless to search through before and before long it will be again, if now a bit better to search by.

That said I don't give a monkeys, whatever keeps the peace.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Apr 2008, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Have you been drinking? Half your post makes no sense.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

One Big thread works, always has. Little seperate ones are shit.

I dont even bother looking at all in them threads now.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Yup, how many of us really had a problem with the original one-thread design? 99% of what's posted in these damn threads is usually just a mark out 5 and a brief couple of sentences justifying the mark - why would anyone of sound mind want to refer back to any of them? Surely if the posters wanted a place to store their old opinions on films, they'd just copy their post to a txt file on their HD for easy reference.

I've always considered the marks out of 5 thread to be completely useless as a review compendium, to me the only use it has ever had was in showing what the current regulars are watching and their tastes and thought processes at the time. It is far more interesting in that sense than yet another bleedin "We can't be arsed to use google, so post all your info here" threads that Brad and Tom seem to have big stonking erections for.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Shingster wrote:I've always considered the marks out of 5 thread to be completely useless as a review compendium, to me the only use it has ever had was in showing what the current regulars are watching and their tastes and thought processes at the time.
+ A bit of discussion and a handy way of confirming a DVD Mystère cap.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

@ Singster and Romero: This thread has been here since the 13th of March. Isn't it a bit late to complain now? You should've commented before Tom did the work :)

@ Shingster: You cannot post reviews on Google, so I don't get what you mean by that.

I think you're missing the point of the thread. It's so members can say what they thought of a film, for others to agree/disagree or help them decide if it's worth picking up. I personally find members opinions on films useful. I've no interest in blind buying on every film a trailer makes it look good.

If you looked you'd see I'm one of the least active members of these threads ;)

If you don't find the info useful don't read it. I personally find this forum (and others) a valuable resource about films and which ones are worth picking up. Google is a resource but not the only one.

All some members seem capable of doing (note not you) is bitching and posting bollocks on here. They never start new threads, never post DVD/Film news, never post Bargains (even if they spot them) etc... Granted we all post bollocks at times but at least some of us also make an effort to post constructive posts too. I get more fed up by this members than the ones who make the effort to post useful and constructive links/information.

Which btw if anyone is that bothered about the threads being split I suggest you PM Tom, otherwise it's all words and noise.
Lourdes wrote:So, can we have the old thread back now?
Serious question:

The new threads have reviews and info in them now. Are you suggesting they're both locked and the people who posted them are asked to re-post their reviews back in the original thread?

Just to suit you.
romerojpg wrote:Little seperate ones are shit.
It's only been split in half, it's not like there are now hundreds of them. It will be as big in no time but at least now if you wish to find a review it the threads are slightly more constructive. Asian or General.

At the end of the day though the only member who really gave a shit is no long here. I suggest someone who really cares PM's Tom.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:@ Singster and Romero: This thread has been here since the 13th of March. Isn't it a bit late to complain now? You should've commented before Tom did the work :)
I don't read this forum very often, and I have the right to say my piece whenever the hell I want to thankyouverymuch.
@ Shingster: You cannot post reviews on Google, so I don't get what you mean by that.
Well you see brad, Google is a thing that us more internet savvy people like to call a "search engine", a wonderful website where you can enter a term like "Shinobi R2 DVD Review" into a searchbar and press GO and hey presto, it lists all the pages it can find with those words in it. Truly amazing!
I think you're missing the point of the thread. It's so members can say what they thought of a film, for others to agree/disagree or help them decide if it's worth picking up. I personally find members opinions on films useful. I've no interest in blind buying on every film a trailer makes it look good.
Yes Brad, I cannot comprehend the "marks out of 5 forums" that's what it is! Fortunately not every member on these boards is a total dullard and know there's more to forming an opinion on a film than just listing a bleedin mark out of 5.
If you looked you'd see I'm one of the least active members of these threads ;)
Hmm, you either didn't understand what I was saying or you're a liar. The words "least active member" coming from you in relation to any thread on these boards is something of an amusement though! :lol:
If you don't find the info useful don't read it.
Many of the regulars on these boards think 99% of what you post is useless dribble, yet they don't have an "ignore member" function so they have to put up with it. So no, I don't think a few members moaning about needless "sticky" threads is too much to ask.
Which btw if anyone is that bothered about the threads being split I suggest you PM Tom, otherwise it's all words and noise.
Yes because heaven forbid a moderator on these boards actually read one of the threads in the feedback forum!
The new threads have reviews and info in them now. Are you suggesting they're both locked and the people who posted them are asked to re-post their reviews back in the original thread?

Just to suit you.
Jesus, weren't you a mod once? Have you already forgotten that you can remove posts from threads and place them in a freshly created thread? I seem to recall it being your favourite past time until Tom booted your ass off the site. All Tom has to do is start a new, general "marks out of 5" thread!
romerojpg wrote:Little seperate ones are shit.
It's only been split in half, it's not like there are now hundreds of them. It will be as big in no time but at least now if you wish to find a review it the threads are slightly more constructive. Asian or General.
There's Asian, Film, and TV. Yup! Split in half!
At the end of the day though the only member who really gave a shit is no long here. I suggest someone who really cares PM's Tom.
Sigh, once again Tom can read this thread just as easily as any PM. You were the moderator who couldn't handle public criticism, not Tom.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:I don't read this forum very often, and I have the right to say my piece whenever the hell I want to thankyouverymuch.
Of course. It just would've been more useful a month ago :D
Shingster wrote:Fortunately not every member on these boards is a total dullard and know there's more to forming an opinion on a film than just listing a bleedin mark out of 5.
Of course, which is why some members do more than just give it a mark out of 5.
Shingster wrote:Hmm, you either didn't understand what I was saying or you're a liar.
Contrary to popular opinion I've yet to "lie" on this forum.
Shingster wrote:Many of the regulars on these boards think 99% of what you post is useless dribble, yet they don't have an "ignore member" function so they have to put up with it.
As they should. We all have to ignore drivel from members at times. I regularly ignore drivel members post. You could direct that 99% remark at many members on this forum.
Shingster wrote:Yes because heaven forbid a moderator on these boards actually read one of the threads in the feedback forum!
I'm sure Tom does read this thread but on a forum where members are all allowed equal say it's all a bit pointless. You'll never please everyone.
Shingster wrote:All Tom has to do is start a new, general "marks out of 5" thread!
On a forum where people are encouraged to say what they really think, it wouldn't be as simple as that, would it.

Like I said if anyone is really that bothered (which I suspect no one is and just likes their sound of their own voice) let Tom know and I'm sure he'll listen to everyone's opinion, and may just put it back.

If the majority really gave a shit we'd have more than just 4 members bothering to reply.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I'd forgotten about the one in the TV forum, I had such a laugh when Brad went and made it following my suggesting. That's five threads for the same purpose!
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I can understand the need for starting a new Marks Out of 5 thread if the old one got too big, but theres no need to split them off into General, Asian. etc (IMO) :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

A new thread would be the worst thing to do IMO.

We'd then have 4 film review threads to search through. It's better left as it is now but if not unlock the old one.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Not a single person browses through the topics looking for reviews and as far as the search engine is concerned one thread is the same as five hundred.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Lourdes wrote:Not a single person browses through the topics looking for reviews
Just because you don't, it doesn't mean others don't.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

So you think that someone here sits down and goes "why I would like to find a single sentence review for Blacks on Blondes XII" and then goes through those topics page by page?
You are such a tedious tit, you don't have to respond endless to every topic on this forum and pedantically defend your stupid ideas.

I really regret sorting your account out, you would have carried on with your temporary one telling us each post would be your last but it would be a laugh at least.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Guess what. I find you a bore too :D

Always trolling and posting shit all over the forum. I do mostly ignore you though. I guess you'll have to do the same.
Lourdes wrote:and pedantically defend your stupid ideas.
Coming from the member who threw his teddies out of the pram posting Asian Reviews in General and visa versa and decided for no good reason to start this topic up again, that means very little.
Lourdes wrote:I really regret sorting your account out, you would have carried on with your temporary one telling us each post would be your last but it would be a laugh at least.
Someone else would have, if you hadn't, so don't big yourself up too much.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Apr 2008, 21:30, edited 3 times in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

The only person I've ever trolled is you and it bore fruit just the other week.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Brad I know what you mean, fair enough :) Imports Forum starts new "What have you seen/ordered" type threads when the old one gets too big and it seems to work fine :)