Idea for "What have you just seen"-thread...

User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Idea for "What have you just seen"-thread...

Post by thelostdragon »

Don't you guys think that the one thread for all the films we have watched has become very unclear. I mean it is quite complex to browse through it in order to find a certain review if you aren't using the search engine.

How about we have one "What have you just seen"-thread in every single subforum?

- What Asian Film Have You Just Seen?
- What "General" Film Have You Just Seen?
- What Have you Just Seen At The Cinema?
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I've thought it is unclear for months but when it was last suggested we start a new one it was a definite NO!

One thread is fine if you keep up with it but like you say it's a nightmare to find old reviews. I often ask about films to find someone has already written a review weeks ago. As it's so long it's also difficult trying to order by Post instead of Thread when you do Search too.

It's a good idea but I can just see most members continuing to use the same thread and ignoring the new ones, that's just my take on it anyway.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

It was a definite NO, because it would have ended up in the same mess again. I suppose if people like this idea of mine, we could simply lock the old thread (which hinders people in continuing to post in it) and put it in "Bullets Gold".
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Are you saying I can actually use my moderating powers? I best let Tom lock it :D

Bullets Gold has gone. In reality it didn't have much benefit so the threads got mostly moved back into Anything Goes.

I took the No to mean members didn't want "change" but I could be wrong on that one. I'm happy to go with what most members want to be honest. Leave it as it is or change it, whichever people are happiest to do.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Separating the asian reviews from the general and cinema ones wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

Things to do:
-Lock the "What have you seen" thread and leave it as a sticky for a few months.
-Create 3 new threads (one for asian films, one for general films, one for cinema).

Is anybody opposed to this idea?
If you are, please speak up.

@Brad:
The "no" was about locking the thread and replacing it with a new (identical) one (What have you seen v2.0). That would have been a useless move.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

People, learn to use the search engine. It doesn't take me more than 5 seconds to find the post I'm looking for.

As for the 3 new threads; good idea, I think. Also please start a fourth thread where Grim can review his TV shows episode by episode 8)
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

How would seperate threads make a difference? You'd have three seperate messes and to find the review you wanted you'd have to use exactly the same method (search the reviews forum with results as posts).
No difference except having to read through and post in multiple threads, and have two more stickies taking up room, aka even more of a mess...
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Actually, Lourdes has a point. I join the opposing club.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Okay here is what I think:

Personally I am opposed to "too many" sickies. That said there aren't many stickies in Asian, General or Cinema so it should be fine.

While I think one thread is better in reality due to the nature of the search engine and the fact the one thread grows so large it makes it a nightmare to find anything. So in short I think separate threads would be a good idea. I tend to post in the Reviews thread and the "Film" thread anyway as I at least then know I can later find it.

It shouldn't be too hard to find what you want. I'm not sure a Cinema thread is such a good idea as that's too general, especially as when it's long out of the cinema the review will then be annoying to find, and in the wrong place.

Maybe just an Asian and General sticky. I'll let Tom do this one :D

Maybe we should let this one run for a few days more and go with the consensus.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Separatists:
-Brad.
-LostDragon.

Conservatives:
-HungFist.
-Lourdes.

Democrats (lazy arseholes who don't give a shit):
-Tom2681.

That's not enough for a fair election.
Give me a couple more votes, please.

(for those who vote for the democrats, I can secretly increase your point score on the DVD Mystère scoreboard)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Sneaky, you were a Separatist at 12:20 today ;)
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

What can I say?
I'm just a surrender monkey.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

bradavon wrote:Okay here is what I think:

Personally I am opposed to "too many" sickies. That said there aren't many stickies in Asian, General or Cinema so it should be fine.

While I think one thread is better in reality due to the nature of the search engine and the fact the one thread grows so large it makes it a nightmare to find anything. So in short I think separate threads would be a good idea. I tend to post in the Reviews thread and the "Film" thread anyway as I at least then know I can later find it.

It shouldn't be too hard to find what you want. I'm not sure a Cinema thread is such a good idea as that's too general, especially as when it's long out of the cinema the review will then be annoying to find, and in the wrong place.

Maybe just an Asian and General sticky. I'll let Tom do this one :D

Maybe we should let this one run for a few days more and go with the consensus.
So wait, you want a seperate thread in each forum?
And it would still make no difference to navigability.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Honestly like Tom I don't have any strong opinion either way but if I had to pick I'd opt for just a General and Asian thread, no Cinema one.

I'm happy to leave it up to Tom to make the final decision (i.e - based on votes) and do the work.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm in the democrat group as well...
Couldnt care less.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Since most people don't seem to care, I've gone and done it.
The "What have you seen" thread has been locked.

There are now two threads.
One for asian cinema, one for non-asian cinema.
This should make no difference to the search procedure (asian film: search in the review/comparison subforum; non-asian film: search in the general film subforum).

I've decided to leave the asian one in the "reviews/comparisons" subforum because we're used to seeing it there.
I've also removed the "How to make a comparison" thread to make some room. It can still be found through the comparisons database.

It might take a bit of getting used to, but it makes perfect sense to have two separate threads (IMO).

P.S: Don't worry, I won't change anything else.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

That's right, it makes no difference to searching. If you were searching for "Oldboy" you'd find reviews for Oldboy, now if you're searching for "Oldboy" you find the same thing but you have to write reviews across two topics, a revolution!
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

tom2681 wrote:Since most people don't seem to care
Or notice. As for myself a few days ago was the first time ever I checked this feedback section.

EDIT: never mind, I guess this section has enough posts (= people read it)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

RE: The general cinema review thread.

Wouldn't it make more sense to also have it the "Reviews and Comparisons" sub-forum? To single it out just because deals with non-Asian films makes no sense. Going by that logic, you'd then be obligated to move all of the non-Asian comparisons to the General film sub-forum as well.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Good idea!
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Empty!
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Apr 2008, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I'll stick to posting in the one topic thanks.
Nobody would browse any of these topics page by page, you have to use the search engine and in that case there's no distinction between one topic for all the reviews and one per review. What a pointless exercise!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Lourdes: It's been agreed to have separate threads so please go along with the community and just do it. Everyone else will just do it, without being childish and stubborn about it.

If you insist in posting in one thread at least do it in the General one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Can we please come to some census? - TV Reviews in General or the new TV Thread?

If it's decided it's a bad idea afterall it can always be deleted and Grim can repost his Ashes to Ashes Review in General. Jeez Democracy just causes a mess sometimes, no one can agree upon anything. :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02 wrote:RE: The general cinema review thread.
I thought we agreed we weren't having a cinema one, no? Personally I think due to the nature of how Films in the Cinema are only there a short period of time it would be confusing to have one too.
Oh come on, you know that I meant the General film review thread. That was the subject line of the post contents that proceeded it.