Does Bullets need another mod?

Does this board need another mod?

Yes, Bullets needs two mods to work properly
1
14%
Yes, one mod is enough but it shouldn't be Tom
0
No votes
No, Bullets is/will be fine
4
57%
The only thing we need is more asian titties!
2
29%
 
Total votes: 7

tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Does Bullets need another mod?

Post by tom2681 »

It's been about a month since I've taken over, and now that the dust has settled it's time to ask an important question.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Nope, you're doing fine as far as I'm concerned, although I do find it a shame that the 'Brad lost his mind-thread' got deleted, as I enjoyed that...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

No, one is fine. You're doing a great job, Tom.

But have Lourdes as a back up to sort out technical issues, ie when the PHP script is being a cunt.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I voted for:

"Yes, Bullets needs two mods to work properly"

You always need two opinions to give a fairer outcome, not that Tom isn't doing a good job.

Who was the third person who voted for? -

"No, Bullets is/will be fine"

It's a bit unfair to vote but then not show your face.
But have Lourdes as a back up to sort out technical issues, ie when the PHP script is being a cunt.
No fucking way. PM Mordib and let him sort it out. Bar the odd glitch, the forum runs itself anyway. It's not needed.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I voted for "Bullets is/will be fine" - as its fine at the moment IMO but can also see the value of having two people's POV (say if theres a mod disagreement or whatever), I don't mind if we have 2 mods or not TBH :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Just so I'm not 'not showing my face', I voted for the titties :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I vote for Grim :lol:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Grim already is a moderator, unless someone finally actually bothered to strip him of his powers.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I answered you last time you said that ;), Grim was stripped of his mod powers years ago.

I believe Toge still has some though.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Well I still recall the cpanel pass (I'm no good at forgetting things) so I can always fix anything that breaks or take over the forum at will.
Toge is an admin along with tom and mordib, nobody else has any power.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

My vote for a second Mod would be:

Hungfist
Saltysam

Only one mod means there is no one to give a second opinion if there is a problem. I also think it would be a good idea if Toge's powers were removed, it's not as if he ever posts any more.

Two members + Mordib makes the best sense to me.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Well looks like a no I guess.
All we need is a moneky to ban spammers. :)

With the consent of the regulars I'll have a go at upgrading to the latest phpBB version sometime and perhaps add some proper captcha things so we don't even need Tom!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Some way of properly stopping spammers would be good. Tom having to do it manually is far from efficient.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Those spammer sign on, but cant post untill someone gives them clearance, right!?
So why bother removing them? Just dont authorize them so they cant post, and just hold a nice cleaning session once every 3 months orso...
Instead of each time removing them individually.

I dont know why they even bother trying to spam this site anyway...
Kinda mute.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

When someone registers they cannot post until Tom manually checks the account to see if it's fake. The problem is when he's not around they start to build up and even when he is around they start to build up.

Sure this is for fine the spammers but it also inflicts genuine new members, it could be days/weeks before they can post. That's pretty off putting for new members.

It's not an matter of not removing spammers but legitimate members cannot also post until Tom allows them in.

I think it's assumed we now have some type of spam filter, when in fact it was decided sometime ago to stop spammers the mods would block ALL new members from posting, until they're manually checked. It's not a spam filter at all.
I dont know why they even bother trying to spam this site anyway...
That's the million dollar question, we'd put to all spammers.
Last edited by bradavon on 17 Apr 2008, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Aw ic ic. Yeah that's a shame
I know i wouldnt bother with a forum that would make me wait a few days before I could actually start posting...

There must be an easier way. Other forums seem to manage.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Other forums have active webmasters, who're about to add new features :D

The upside being, Tom has never seemed to mind manually checking, although I don't think he checks daily.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

He does, actually. I check for new legit members every time I check my mail.
Clueless_Monkey's account was activated way less than 24 hours after he signed up.

I agree that it's not the best solution, but it's the only one that works at the moment.

As for the "other mod" vote, the results are quite clear IMO.
No need to change anything for the time being.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Our sole leader maintains in absolute power! Hail Tom!!! Hail Tom!!!

:D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

tom2681 wrote:He does, actually. I check for new legit members every time I check my mail.
Clueless_Monkey's account was activated way less than 24 hours after he signed up.
Fair enough. You must get stacks of Spam from Bullets. I used to get hundreds each day.
tom2681 wrote:As for the "other mod" vote, the results are quite clear IMO.
No need to change anything for the time being.
Hmmm. Fair enough :)

Subject closed, for now.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

As I said I can upgrade the forum to latest version of 2.xx (currently being EOL'd) or 3.xx and try some things to stop the spammers. But it all depends on what everyone wants.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm not against that....
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

That sounds good.

Some method to track posts would be handy. Over at AV Forums each post has a post link, so you can easily point people to the relevant post. That would be handy.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

bradavon wrote:That sounds good.

Some method to track posts would be handy. Over at AV Forums each post has a post link, so you can easily point people to the relevant post. That would be handy.
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 865#110865
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

True that works but it's a pain to get hold of that formatted link. A link in each thread (maybe next to the Quote/Edit buttons) would be really handy.