Wow... no one? All right... MORTAL KOMBAT VS DC UNIVERSE

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Wow... no one? All right... MORTAL KOMBAT VS DC UNIVERSE

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Reactions? Personally, I'm still in a very conflicted state. I've been a fan of the MK series, basically on again off again, since '92 when the first game came out and I was 7. I was there for the good (Mortal Kombat II), the bad (Mortal Kombat Mythologies), and the downright ugly (Mortal Kombat Special Forces). But this? I don't know what to make of it. This is what we know so far:

-Only four confirmed characters so far: Sub-Zero, Batman, Scorpion, and Superman.
-While blood will still be present, there are no more "fatalities", only "finishing moves".
-Planned to be rated T, rather than the usual M rating.
-Coming, er, "Koming" Fall 2008 for PS3 and Xbox 360.

I'll at least give it a rent... but I'm still highly skeptical... like just about every other gamer out there. I mean, a T-rated Mortal Kombat? Hasn't been that way since the first game was censored for the home consoles back in '93. I haven't been this conflicted since last spring when it was announced that the fourth Die Hard film would be PG-13 in theaters (cut to clip of me reading news about Die Hard... oh sorry, had a Family Guy moment there). But anyway, here's the link to the official site:

http://www.worldscollide.com

*sigh* All we can do now is wait...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Mortal Kombat without fatalities - What!

It sounds like a pants idea to me. Mortal Kombat is all about 18/NC-17 violence, not colour superheroes. Street Fighter would've been a better choice. I'd love a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat game.

I loved the original Mortal Kombat, it felt like Street Fighter on acid. MK3 on the PC was cool too.

Which is stronger T or M?
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

According to Ed Boon, it sounds like they tried a VS Street Fighter game at one point, but there was too much red tape... sadly. What worries me most is that all indications imply that it was the marketing departments of both Midway and DC that came up with this game, NOT the MK team. When you leave things up to marketing alone, very few good things happen. I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.

I will admit one thing... Mortal Kombat hasn't been surrounded by this much controversy since the first game. The only hope this game has is that it's actually REALLY good to make up for the current and MASSIVE negative backlash. If this game even remotely, what's the nicest way to put this, sucks, then MK is officially dead and buried. Supposedly the first demos will appear at E3 in July. May God (and Ed Boon) have mercy on our souls...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Which is stronger T or M?
T would be the equivalent of BBFC's 12A, M can be anywhere in-between MPAA's R rating and just before an NC-17. ESRB's AO rating is the equivalent to NC-17, financial suicide in other words.

Eg Nintendo and Sony refused to allow Manhunt 2 onto their consoles in its original AO-rated state. Said console makers cared about their public image.
Wow... no one? All right...
What is the hell is that supposed to mean? You're surprised that no one has started a thread on this game?

Well, it's not 1995 any more, the gaming world has moved on since Mortal Kombat, a series of mediocre games that appealed to 13-year-old boys wanting to see blood and guts.

Gaming has peaked and is now a legitimate art-form. Don't be surprised that no one cares in this post-Ico, Okami, Silent Hill 2 world.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 20 Apr 2008, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

EvaUnit02 wrote:What is the hell is that supposed to mean? You're surprised that no one has started a thread on this game?
Well, it just seemed like I kept seeing news about this popping up on non-VG sites/forums lately, and I thought at least one person might've pointed this out here. Sorry for making an minor assumption :roll:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm more excited about the news that the original Soul Calibur will be released on XBL, than I am about a game like Mortal Kombat, which hasnt been good since MK2, vs. DC (which has a few nice characters but on a whole different powerlevel than MK's characters)

I wouldnt even have been interested if it DID have fatalities, tbh.

If those guys have the DC license, they should have just used it to make a proper game, instead of trying an easy cash-in by throwing their MK license at it...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Yeah, I just read about SC as well... wonder what made it XBL only rather than both XBL and PSN. Must've missed something.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I'm a little interested in this game due to Batman, I'd love to play as him :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Old Pang Yau wrote:I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.
What does this mean?

Thanks for the other info in your post.
EvaUnit02 wrote:
bradavon wrote:Which is stronger T or M?
T would be the equivalent of BBFC's 12A, M can be anywhere in-between MPAA's R rating and just before an NC-17. ESRB's AO rating is the equivalent to NC-17, financial suicide in other words.

Eg Nintendo and Sony refused to allow Manhunt 2 onto their consoles in its original AO-rated state. Said console makers cared about their public image.
Thanks. A 12A Mortal Kombat sounds dreadful.

That makes no sense at all when Sony will release films like Rambo 4 :?
EvaUnit02 wrote:What is the hell is that supposed to mean?
I'd imagine nothing, stop turning nothing into something.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Well, it's not 1995 any more, the gaming world has moved on since Mortal Kombat, a series of mediocre games that appealed to 13-year-old boys wanting to see blood and guts.
Mortal Kombat was and still is a fantastic game. All Street Fighter games work because they're simple and effctive, there aren't many men who don't enjoy beating the shit out of someone in a computer game.

I've always preferred the simple but effective computer games, games with too many rules almost always bored the hell out of me, MS Flight Simulator anyone. I did like C&C Red Alert back in the day though.
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

bradavon wrote:
Old Pang Yau wrote:I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.
What does this mean?
Just that when everything is left in the hands of a marketing department, things might not go so well. For those who saw thr fourth Rambo film, you can more or less see that "Bodies" doesn't really fit the dark and more serious tone of the film. Just as MK and DC really don't fit. In short, I'm saying that marketing shouldn't be left by itself to come up with ideas, which it sounds like this game was... an idea by marketing departments. Then again, maybe I went too far off on a tangent :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I agree but I don't get what you mean by the "Bodies". I am currently having to use Dial-up so searching on Google for what you mean is too painful.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

It's a song, Brad. 'LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR'. It's obnoxious.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Oh right thanks. It was completely lost on me. I was thinking "there are no drowning people in swimming pools in Rambo 4" :D.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

He did use capitals... :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Is that supposed to be some cryptic clue? :D