Wow... no one? All right... MORTAL KOMBAT VS DC UNIVERSE
-
Old Pang Yau
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02
Wow... no one? All right... MORTAL KOMBAT VS DC UNIVERSE
Reactions? Personally, I'm still in a very conflicted state. I've been a fan of the MK series, basically on again off again, since '92 when the first game came out and I was 7. I was there for the good (Mortal Kombat II), the bad (Mortal Kombat Mythologies), and the downright ugly (Mortal Kombat Special Forces). But this? I don't know what to make of it. This is what we know so far:
-Only four confirmed characters so far: Sub-Zero, Batman, Scorpion, and Superman.
-While blood will still be present, there are no more "fatalities", only "finishing moves".
-Planned to be rated T, rather than the usual M rating.
-Coming, er, "Koming" Fall 2008 for PS3 and Xbox 360.
I'll at least give it a rent... but I'm still highly skeptical... like just about every other gamer out there. I mean, a T-rated Mortal Kombat? Hasn't been that way since the first game was censored for the home consoles back in '93. I haven't been this conflicted since last spring when it was announced that the fourth Die Hard film would be PG-13 in theaters (cut to clip of me reading news about Die Hard... oh sorry, had a Family Guy moment there). But anyway, here's the link to the official site:
http://www.worldscollide.com
*sigh* All we can do now is wait...
-Only four confirmed characters so far: Sub-Zero, Batman, Scorpion, and Superman.
-While blood will still be present, there are no more "fatalities", only "finishing moves".
-Planned to be rated T, rather than the usual M rating.
-Coming, er, "Koming" Fall 2008 for PS3 and Xbox 360.
I'll at least give it a rent... but I'm still highly skeptical... like just about every other gamer out there. I mean, a T-rated Mortal Kombat? Hasn't been that way since the first game was censored for the home consoles back in '93. I haven't been this conflicted since last spring when it was announced that the fourth Die Hard film would be PG-13 in theaters (cut to clip of me reading news about Die Hard... oh sorry, had a Family Guy moment there). But anyway, here's the link to the official site:
http://www.worldscollide.com
*sigh* All we can do now is wait...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Mortal Kombat without fatalities - What!
It sounds like a pants idea to me. Mortal Kombat is all about 18/NC-17 violence, not colour superheroes. Street Fighter would've been a better choice. I'd love a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat game.
I loved the original Mortal Kombat, it felt like Street Fighter on acid. MK3 on the PC was cool too.
Which is stronger T or M?
It sounds like a pants idea to me. Mortal Kombat is all about 18/NC-17 violence, not colour superheroes. Street Fighter would've been a better choice. I'd love a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat game.
I loved the original Mortal Kombat, it felt like Street Fighter on acid. MK3 on the PC was cool too.
Which is stronger T or M?
-
Old Pang Yau
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02
According to Ed Boon, it sounds like they tried a VS Street Fighter game at one point, but there was too much red tape... sadly. What worries me most is that all indications imply that it was the marketing departments of both Midway and DC that came up with this game, NOT the MK team. When you leave things up to marketing alone, very few good things happen. I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.
I will admit one thing... Mortal Kombat hasn't been surrounded by this much controversy since the first game. The only hope this game has is that it's actually REALLY good to make up for the current and MASSIVE negative backlash. If this game even remotely, what's the nicest way to put this, sucks, then MK is officially dead and buried. Supposedly the first demos will appear at E3 in July. May God (and Ed Boon) have mercy on our souls...
I will admit one thing... Mortal Kombat hasn't been surrounded by this much controversy since the first game. The only hope this game has is that it's actually REALLY good to make up for the current and MASSIVE negative backlash. If this game even remotely, what's the nicest way to put this, sucks, then MK is officially dead and buried. Supposedly the first demos will appear at E3 in July. May God (and Ed Boon) have mercy on our souls...
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
T would be the equivalent of BBFC's 12A, M can be anywhere in-between MPAA's R rating and just before an NC-17. ESRB's AO rating is the equivalent to NC-17, financial suicide in other words.bradavon wrote:Which is stronger T or M?
Eg Nintendo and Sony refused to allow Manhunt 2 onto their consoles in its original AO-rated state. Said console makers cared about their public image.
What is the hell is that supposed to mean? You're surprised that no one has started a thread on this game?Wow... no one? All right...
Well, it's not 1995 any more, the gaming world has moved on since Mortal Kombat, a series of mediocre games that appealed to 13-year-old boys wanting to see blood and guts.
Gaming has peaked and is now a legitimate art-form. Don't be surprised that no one cares in this post-Ico, Okami, Silent Hill 2 world.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 20 Apr 2008, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
-
Old Pang Yau
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02
Well, it just seemed like I kept seeing news about this popping up on non-VG sites/forums lately, and I thought at least one person might've pointed this out here. Sorry for making an minor assumptionEvaUnit02 wrote:What is the hell is that supposed to mean? You're surprised that no one has started a thread on this game?
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I'm more excited about the news that the original Soul Calibur will be released on XBL, than I am about a game like Mortal Kombat, which hasnt been good since MK2, vs. DC (which has a few nice characters but on a whole different powerlevel than MK's characters)
I wouldnt even have been interested if it DID have fatalities, tbh.
If those guys have the DC license, they should have just used it to make a proper game, instead of trying an easy cash-in by throwing their MK license at it...
I wouldnt even have been interested if it DID have fatalities, tbh.
If those guys have the DC license, they should have just used it to make a proper game, instead of trying an easy cash-in by throwing their MK license at it...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Old Pang Yau
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
What does this mean?Old Pang Yau wrote:I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.
Thanks for the other info in your post.
Thanks. A 12A Mortal Kombat sounds dreadful.EvaUnit02 wrote:T would be the equivalent of BBFC's 12A, M can be anywhere in-between MPAA's R rating and just before an NC-17. ESRB's AO rating is the equivalent to NC-17, financial suicide in other words.bradavon wrote:Which is stronger T or M?
Eg Nintendo and Sony refused to allow Manhunt 2 onto their consoles in its original AO-rated state. Said console makers cared about their public image.
That makes no sense at all when Sony will release films like Rambo 4
I'd imagine nothing, stop turning nothing into something.EvaUnit02 wrote:What is the hell is that supposed to mean?
Mortal Kombat was and still is a fantastic game. All Street Fighter games work because they're simple and effctive, there aren't many men who don't enjoy beating the shit out of someone in a computer game.EvaUnit02 wrote:Well, it's not 1995 any more, the gaming world has moved on since Mortal Kombat, a series of mediocre games that appealed to 13-year-old boys wanting to see blood and guts.
I've always preferred the simple but effective computer games, games with too many rules almost always bored the hell out of me, MS Flight Simulator anyone. I did like C&C Red Alert back in the day though.
-
Old Pang Yau
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 234
- Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02
Just that when everything is left in the hands of a marketing department, things might not go so well. For those who saw thr fourth Rambo film, you can more or less see that "Bodies" doesn't really fit the dark and more serious tone of the film. Just as MK and DC really don't fit. In short, I'm saying that marketing shouldn't be left by itself to come up with ideas, which it sounds like this game was... an idea by marketing departments. Then again, maybe I went too far off on a tangentbradavon wrote:What does this mean?Old Pang Yau wrote:I'm still recovering from Lionsgate excessively using "Bodies" by Drowning Pool to promote Rambo... ugh.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30