The General HD Releases Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
Early US Matrix specs - HD remaster of Animatrix confirmed
(Bill Hunt's rumour was right all along, eat your hat Romero.)
I think you will find I was one of the first people to say it was coming on here and other forums, the Warner Brother HD DVD Online survey said so a long time ago, well before Bill Chunt even opened his anus.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Nah, it was Lourdes or Shingster, definitely not you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The Batman Begins BD AV is the same as the HD-DVD right?

I imagine these Matrix discs will look/sound the same. If so, I'll stick with my HD-DVD Trilogy.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:The Batman Begins BD AV is the same as the HD-DVD right?
Yeah, I've read on a couple of sites that they've got the same encode.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Nah, it was Lourdes or Shingster, definitely not you.
If you say so.

I did as I acctually entered the what you most want on HD poll :lol: and read the results once they all came in, so I should know :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

One day you'll surprise us and admit to getting something wrong :D.
gasteropod wrote:Yeah, I've read on a couple of sites that they've got the same encode.
Cheers.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:One day you'll surprise us and admit to getting something wrong :D.
How was I wrong you twonk :lol: :lol: :lol: I took part in the survey, you did not, nor did anyone else here.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Man you're hard work. I don't give a flying fuck about an apparent survey you signed. I was replying to you disagreeing with Eva's comment above.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Nah, it was Lourdes or Shingster, definitely not you.
Wasn't me! :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Eva, looks like I'll get Ghostbusters 1 and 2. :)
I hope they release The Matrix movies seperately on BD so I dont have to buy the poor sequels.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Sadly I doubt they will. They've never released the SEs on DVD separately or HD-DVD.

The BD "trilogy" box set is currently only £14.99 though. I paid £17.99 for my HD-DVD box set.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Taxi Driver in 2009:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1952

I bet it won't have the Stereo/Mono :(.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

CJ7 USA =Region-Free
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Optimum:- Final specs for the UK releases of They Live, Evil Dead 2 and NotLD.

Also they've announced Army of Darkness, would be interesting to see which cut they'll be using. The Universal HD-DVD had the TC.

All region-encoded bar Basic Instinct.

Bah, this region-encoding shit is pissing me off, you can't even get by with just a Region A player any more.

Fox US announces Carrie for Oct 7th.
Terrifically made film, but I'm happy with the R1 DVD.

Eastern Promises - full specs:- Looks like it maybe a new encode too. Oct 14th.

Planet of the Apes boxset - Nov 4th.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

At least Basic Instinct is RA + RB.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:At least Basic Instinct is RA + RB.
That's like an HIV+ infected person saying "At least I have yet to develop AIDS."
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Unless you were planning on buying a RC player, not really ;).

AFAIK the Optimum RB Only titles are: Son of Rambow, My Blueberry Nights and Diary of the Dead. The rest are Region Free or RA + RB.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

optimum Cliffhanger and Wolf Creek are region B.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ah good point. I forgot about Wolf Creek. I didn't know about Cliffhanger.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Bah, this region-encoding shit is pissing me off, you can't even get by with just a Region A player any more.
There are now several Multiregion offerings:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4705

They're pricey though. I'm surprised no one has managed to release the PS3 in Region Switchable form.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:I'm surprised no one has managed to release the PS3 in Region Switchable form.
I think that might be a problem, as the PS3 gets frequent firmware updates so Sony would just stop that from happening.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm not so sure, why remove region coding if you then release your BDs Region Free? Besides it could be a hardware based region hack.

Other Players get firmware upgrades and they don't remove the multiregion status. Some companies (such as LG) do deliberately leave them in there though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Brad, Blu-ray is Sony's format, and they chose not to have it region-free as standard (unsurprisingly), so just because they release certain films region-free doesn't mean that they want people watching any disc from around the world. They made the PS3 region-coded, and their standalone Blu-ray players region-coded. Sony is infamous for being a control-freak of a corporation, and with the PSP they constantly update its firmware to stop people using emulators and whatnot.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Sony can combat hardware-based region hacks with firmware updates.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

True except one of the BD MR Players is a Sony model. I guess it must be harder to hack though, seeing as it's the most popular BD Player out there.
gasteropod wrote:Yeah I'm pretty sure Sony can combat hardware-based region hacks with firmware updates.
I bet they could too but historically hardware hacks tend to be more solid.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

It looked ok to me & dvdtimes gave it a decent review but a number of forum threads are claiming the Escape From New York blu-ray is an upscale :cry: