What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Killer Meteor
- Hail the Judge!
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag. Both films are shit loads better than "So I Married an Axe Murder" though. I saw that and found it to be entirely forgettable, utterly average and with very few laughs.
-
Killer Meteor
- Hail the Judge!
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
You really are a pretentious cock aren't you, waiting with baited breath to pull apart every comment I make.Ivan Drago wrote:Brad, think before you post!!! Some people do prefer the first. For me it depends on my mood. Don't try and speak for everyone!!!
Obviously some prefer the first one, only a dickhead like you would take that comment so deliberately literally.
I cannot remember that gag myself. Cristian Slater gag was good, oddly cut from the USA PG13 Cut.EvaUnit02 wrote:I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Now now children 
I thought AP2 had its moments (Jerry Springer spoof at the beginning), it even has a joke about the obviousness of a joke (if you see what I mean) when there lots of words for breasts (repeating a joke from the first film).
The best thing about Goldmember was the title sequence.
Its been a while since I saw ant of them though.
I thought AP2 had its moments (Jerry Springer spoof at the beginning), it even has a joke about the obviousness of a joke (if you see what I mean) when there lots of words for breasts (repeating a joke from the first film).
The best thing about Goldmember was the title sequence.
Its been a while since I saw ant of them though.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Hellboy - 6.5 out of 10
I saw this last Monday, first time.
It starts off well but the ending feels like your typical Hollywood "bad man wants to take over the world, our superhero will save the day" seen it all before.
Ron Perlman is fantastic as Hellboy though, as are the supporting cast. The visuals are as expected excellent. No one does monsters like del Toro. The comedy also worked surprisingly well.
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - 7.5 out of 10
I saw this last night. I'm amazed people actually use the 12A certificate as a babysitting service :twisted:, because they're too lazy to find one and too pig ignorant to work out find out what the 12A means, that said unlike The Dark Knight this does fit 12A correctly.
There were 2 kids running up and down the stairs 4 times in the first 30 minutes, by the fourth time I waited until they got back to their seats and had to have a word. They thankfully then stopped, their Grandmother looked shocked it was annoying to anyone.
Anyway on to the movie:
A lot better than the first one but again it still felt oddly restrained. Both Hellboy's feel "del Toro Light" after the magnificence that is Pan's Labyrinth, even Blade 2 felt more full-on. The movie suffers from lack of focus too, it's a bit all over the place at time, the first film also suffered from this, but it seemed worse this time.
That said this does certainly feel more like the del Toro we all love. The monster count is much bigger, as are the action scenes. Again Ron Perlman is excellent, Selma Blair plays her part well too. Luke Goss again plays a good film (if he stays away from Asia!). The comedic moments worked well again too.
The ending was better too, much grander. It felt a bit held-back in the first film. There were also moments of genuine tenderness too, the tree scene is handled brilliantly.
I cannot help feeling if they'd been made outside of the Hollywood system they would've been even better though. I guess I expect something more than Action Scenes and Eye-Candy from Guillermo del Toro.
All in all I liked both Hellboy's, I'll be keeping my 3 Disc SE DVD but won't be rushing to buy them on BD.
p.s - Is it ever explained how Selma Blair can turned into a fireball? I must've missed that one.
I saw this last Monday, first time.
It starts off well but the ending feels like your typical Hollywood "bad man wants to take over the world, our superhero will save the day" seen it all before.
Ron Perlman is fantastic as Hellboy though, as are the supporting cast. The visuals are as expected excellent. No one does monsters like del Toro. The comedy also worked surprisingly well.
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - 7.5 out of 10
I saw this last night. I'm amazed people actually use the 12A certificate as a babysitting service :twisted:, because they're too lazy to find one and too pig ignorant to work out find out what the 12A means, that said unlike The Dark Knight this does fit 12A correctly.
There were 2 kids running up and down the stairs 4 times in the first 30 minutes, by the fourth time I waited until they got back to their seats and had to have a word. They thankfully then stopped, their Grandmother looked shocked it was annoying to anyone.
Anyway on to the movie:
A lot better than the first one but again it still felt oddly restrained. Both Hellboy's feel "del Toro Light" after the magnificence that is Pan's Labyrinth, even Blade 2 felt more full-on. The movie suffers from lack of focus too, it's a bit all over the place at time, the first film also suffered from this, but it seemed worse this time.
That said this does certainly feel more like the del Toro we all love. The monster count is much bigger, as are the action scenes. Again Ron Perlman is excellent, Selma Blair plays her part well too. Luke Goss again plays a good film (if he stays away from Asia!). The comedic moments worked well again too.
The ending was better too, much grander. It felt a bit held-back in the first film. There were also moments of genuine tenderness too, the tree scene is handled brilliantly.
I cannot help feeling if they'd been made outside of the Hollywood system they would've been even better though. I guess I expect something more than Action Scenes and Eye-Candy from Guillermo del Toro.
All in all I liked both Hellboy's, I'll be keeping my 3 Disc SE DVD but won't be rushing to buy them on BD.
p.s - Is it ever explained how Selma Blair can turned into a fireball? I must've missed that one.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I dont really like ANY of the Austin Powers movies. They're enjoyable to some extent, but the kind of comedy is kinda easy, and lame, and uninspired, etc. I'm not a huge fan of over the top 'LOOK WE'RE GROSS AND FUNNY!!!' movies.
I like the dry dead-pan humour flicks, like Naked Gun and Hot Shots, but that is mostly from the very dry wit by the cast. But most american 'comedies' are pretty 'dumb', targeted at an audience that presumably on dope when watching these flicks, and laughs at every fart or burp joke.
Digestive problems are NOT a joke, people!
I like the dry dead-pan humour flicks, like Naked Gun and Hot Shots, but that is mostly from the very dry wit by the cast. But most american 'comedies' are pretty 'dumb', targeted at an audience that presumably on dope when watching these flicks, and laughs at every fart or burp joke.
Digestive problems are NOT a joke, people!
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Killer Meteor
- Hail the Judge!
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05
Sheesh Brad, a little protective over daft internet posts aren't we? If you don't like people taking things you write literally, then have a little think before you post them. No nastiness intended by me, I just disagree with a lot of your opinions
Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
That's classic isn't it?EvaUnit02 wrote:I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag.
When the kid whimpers about his step-dad not coming home... or the guys in the bar waiting for the groom. lol
Damn. I really liked AXE MURDERER. But then I'm Scottish and so probably got some of the jokes/references that others didn't. It bombed at the box office but has a cult following.Both films are shit loads better than "So I Married an Axe Murder" though. I saw that and found it to be entirely forgettable, utterly average and with very few laughs.
Absolutely. The sequels have too much toilet humour.Ivan Drago wrote:Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
Killer Meteor
- Hail the Judge!
- Posts: 2380
- Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05
-
Toge
- Flirting Scholar
- Posts: 468
- Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I thought Theron was pretty much one of the biggest problems in the movie. She wasnt convincing, she was annoying, and that whole plot-part was just kinda dumb and unneccesary.Toge wrote:Hancock 3/5
Theron's hotness saves it.
Grim: You saw my PM and ignored it right?
Reminded me a bit of The Austronaut's Wife, where she was also fucking annoying.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Shooter hd-dvd 3/5
Decent Mark Wahlberg actioner is a little overlong but pretty decent.
The Gauntlet blu-ray 3/5
Solid 70's Eastwood actioner holds up quite well, he plays a cop who has to escort a witness to a trial with the cops & mob determined to stop him.watching this i thought how come in nearly every film with Sondra Locke he slots in an almost obligatory rapesequence? climax stretches credibility but is pretty exciting. the blu-ray transfer is a revelation and light years away from the damn awful old dvd.
Decent Mark Wahlberg actioner is a little overlong but pretty decent.
The Gauntlet blu-ray 3/5
Solid 70's Eastwood actioner holds up quite well, he plays a cop who has to escort a witness to a trial with the cops & mob determined to stop him.watching this i thought how come in nearly every film with Sondra Locke he slots in an almost obligatory rapesequence? climax stretches credibility but is pretty exciting. the blu-ray transfer is a revelation and light years away from the damn awful old dvd.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
The Sword In The Stone (1963): 3.5/5
One of Disney's lesser features IMO, but still entertaining and good fun, despite rough looking animation compared to other, more celebrated Disneys (the studio was on a cost cutting drive at the time). There are also rather poor songs by the Sherman brothers (though the jazzy music score is OK). The big highlight for me is the "Wizard Duel" scene between Merlin and Mim
I also like the scenes where the young Wart (Arthur) is turned into different creatures.
Used to watch the film a lot as a kid
One of Disney's lesser features IMO, but still entertaining and good fun, despite rough looking animation compared to other, more celebrated Disneys (the studio was on a cost cutting drive at the time). There are also rather poor songs by the Sherman brothers (though the jazzy music score is OK). The big highlight for me is the "Wizard Duel" scene between Merlin and Mim
I also like the scenes where the young Wart (Arthur) is turned into different creatures.
Used to watch the film a lot as a kid
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Hellboy 2 - 3/5
A fun popcorn film of high quality, finely paced. There was never a dull moment. Del Toro once again proves his talent as a fine visual director.
The story was much better than the original's (which was dreadful, TBH), but still not the best.
Perlman was excellent as the lead character. Special props go to Luke Goss, he's an excellent physical performer and made for an interesting and sympathetic villain. It was wonderful hearing Doug Jones' actual voice, he proved that he could deliver the necessary goods.
A fun popcorn film of high quality, finely paced. There was never a dull moment. Del Toro once again proves his talent as a fine visual director.
The story was much better than the original's (which was dreadful, TBH), but still not the best.
Perlman was excellent as the lead character. Special props go to Luke Goss, he's an excellent physical performer and made for an interesting and sympathetic villain. It was wonderful hearing Doug Jones' actual voice, he proved that he could deliver the necessary goods.

