What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The second is better. Why do you prefer the first one? No one else does. I'm just wondering.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

bradavon wrote:The second is better. Why do you prefer the first one? No one else does. I'm just wondering.
Brad, think before you post!!! Some people do prefer the first. For me it depends on my mood. Don't try and speak for everyone!!!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Many of my friends prefer the first.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag. Both films are shit loads better than "So I Married an Axe Murder" though. I saw that and found it to be entirely forgettable, utterly average and with very few laughs.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

See what I mean, Brad?
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:Brad, think before you post!!! Some people do prefer the first. For me it depends on my mood. Don't try and speak for everyone!!!
You really are a pretentious cock aren't you, waiting with baited breath to pull apart every comment I make.

Obviously some prefer the first one, only a dickhead like you would take that comment so deliberately literally.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag
I cannot remember that gag myself. Cristian Slater gag was good, oddly cut from the USA PG13 Cut.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Now now children :D
I thought AP2 had its moments (Jerry Springer spoof at the beginning), it even has a joke about the obviousness of a joke (if you see what I mean) when there lots of words for breasts (repeating a joke from the first film). :roll:
The best thing about Goldmember was the title sequence.
Its been a while since I saw ant of them though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Hellboy - 6.5 out of 10

I saw this last Monday, first time.

It starts off well but the ending feels like your typical Hollywood "bad man wants to take over the world, our superhero will save the day" seen it all before.

Ron Perlman is fantastic as Hellboy though, as are the supporting cast. The visuals are as expected excellent. No one does monsters like del Toro. The comedy also worked surprisingly well.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - 7.5 out of 10

I saw this last night. I'm amazed people actually use the 12A certificate as a babysitting service :twisted:, because they're too lazy to find one and too pig ignorant to work out find out what the 12A means, that said unlike The Dark Knight this does fit 12A correctly.

There were 2 kids running up and down the stairs 4 times in the first 30 minutes, by the fourth time I waited until they got back to their seats and had to have a word. They thankfully then stopped, their Grandmother looked shocked it was annoying to anyone.

Anyway on to the movie:

A lot better than the first one but again it still felt oddly restrained. Both Hellboy's feel "del Toro Light" after the magnificence that is Pan's Labyrinth, even Blade 2 felt more full-on. The movie suffers from lack of focus too, it's a bit all over the place at time, the first film also suffered from this, but it seemed worse this time.

That said this does certainly feel more like the del Toro we all love. The monster count is much bigger, as are the action scenes. Again Ron Perlman is excellent, Selma Blair plays her part well too. Luke Goss again plays a good film (if he stays away from Asia!). The comedic moments worked well again too.

The ending was better too, much grander. It felt a bit held-back in the first film. There were also moments of genuine tenderness too, the tree scene is handled brilliantly.

I cannot help feeling if they'd been made outside of the Hollywood system they would've been even better though. I guess I expect something more than Action Scenes and Eye-Candy from Guillermo del Toro.

All in all I liked both Hellboy's, I'll be keeping my 3 Disc SE DVD but won't be rushing to buy them on BD.

p.s - Is it ever explained how Selma Blair can turned into a fireball? I must've missed that one.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I dont really like ANY of the Austin Powers movies. They're enjoyable to some extent, but the kind of comedy is kinda easy, and lame, and uninspired, etc. I'm not a huge fan of over the top 'LOOK WE'RE GROSS AND FUNNY!!!' movies.

I like the dry dead-pan humour flicks, like Naked Gun and Hot Shots, but that is mostly from the very dry wit by the cast. But most american 'comedies' are pretty 'dumb', targeted at an audience that presumably on dope when watching these flicks, and laughs at every fart or burp joke.

Digestive problems are NOT a joke, people!
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Sheesh Brad, a little protective over daft internet posts aren't we? If you don't like people taking things you write literally, then have a little think before you post them. No nastiness intended by me, I just disagree with a lot of your opinions

Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

All 3 Naked Guns are excellent IMO and very, very funny :D
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I prefer "International Man of Mystery". Nothing from the 2nd film comes close to topping the classiness of the "henchmen leaving behind loved ones" gag.
That's classic isn't it? :D

When the kid whimpers about his step-dad not coming home... or the guys in the bar waiting for the groom. lol
Both films are shit loads better than "So I Married an Axe Murder" though. I saw that and found it to be entirely forgettable, utterly average and with very few laughs.
Damn. I really liked AXE MURDERER. But then I'm Scottish and so probably got some of the jokes/references that others didn't. It bombed at the box office but has a cult following.
Ivan Drago wrote:Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
Absolutely. The sequels have too much toilet humour.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ivan Drago wrote:Anyway, I agree with Yi Long. I don't care for gross out humour either. Austin Powers is more fun as a spoof
Agreed. I have the same comedy film sensibilities.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

North by Northwest: 5/5

Cracking thriller, with elements of suspense, romance, intrigue and comedy. Really enjoyed it :) Cary Grant is excellent in it (cast against type I believe), as the advertising man mistaken for a spy, forced to go on the run.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I couldn't agree with you more Grim!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

The finale (atop of Mt. Rushmore) is excellent.
Toge
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 468
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03

Post by Toge »

Hancock 3/5

Theron's hotness saves it.

Grim: You saw my PM and ignored it right?
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Oops sorry Toge. Just replied now. YGPM :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Toge wrote:Hancock 3/5

Theron's hotness saves it.

Grim: You saw my PM and ignored it right?
I thought Theron was pretty much one of the biggest problems in the movie. She wasnt convincing, she was annoying, and that whole plot-part was just kinda dumb and unneccesary.

Reminded me a bit of The Austronaut's Wife, where she was also fucking annoying.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Half Nelson: 3.5/5

Not bad, the girl's forehead freaked me out though. The main guy was pretty good, I recognised him from the 'Lars and the Real Girl' trailer I saw a while ago, which I also wouldn't mind seeing.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Shooter hd-dvd 3/5

Decent Mark Wahlberg actioner is a little overlong but pretty decent.

The Gauntlet blu-ray 3/5

Solid 70's Eastwood actioner holds up quite well, he plays a cop who has to escort a witness to a trial with the cops & mob determined to stop him.watching this i thought how come in nearly every film with Sondra Locke he slots in an almost obligatory rapesequence? climax stretches credibility but is pretty exciting. the blu-ray transfer is a revelation and light years away from the damn awful old dvd.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

The Sword In The Stone (1963): 3.5/5

One of Disney's lesser features IMO, but still entertaining and good fun, despite rough looking animation compared to other, more celebrated Disneys (the studio was on a cost cutting drive at the time). There are also rather poor songs by the Sherman brothers (though the jazzy music score is OK). The big highlight for me is the "Wizard Duel" scene between Merlin and Mim :D
I also like the scenes where the young Wart (Arthur) is turned into different creatures.
Used to watch the film a lot as a kid :)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Used to watch the film a lot as a kid :)
Last week then? :wink:
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D Very good!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Hellboy 2 - 3/5

A fun popcorn film of high quality, finely paced. There was never a dull moment. Del Toro once again proves his talent as a fine visual director.

The story was much better than the original's (which was dreadful, TBH), but still not the best.

Perlman was excellent as the lead character. Special props go to Luke Goss, he's an excellent physical performer and made for an interesting and sympathetic villain. It was wonderful hearing Doug Jones' actual voice, he proved that he could deliver the necessary goods.