The HMV Bargains Thread!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Chungking Express BD £10.99:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?s ... Search.y=9
I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw it for £9.99 in store yesterday. I'm holding out for the superior Criterion though.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?s ... Search.y=9
I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw it for £9.99 in store yesterday. I'm holding out for the superior Criterion though.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Batman the animated series vol. 1 (4 discs) £6.49
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... _id=101450
Batman the animated series vol.2 (4 discs) £6.49
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=532708
incredible bargain for a classic show.
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... _id=101450
Batman the animated series vol.2 (4 discs) £6.49
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=532708
incredible bargain for a classic show.
working class blu-ray fan
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
I know all the technical guff you're going on about there, but what I don't know is whether there are players on the market that can automatically switch between the two settings, hence me playing safe and saying "some".bradavon wrote:That affects all players not some. It's there by design:
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
The Fall Blu Ray £7.44
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 821&sr=8-1
Looks cracking at the least
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 821&sr=8-1
Looks cracking at the least
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
I've never heard or read of any. It would be great but I imagine so hard to achieve. The answer is for on-board decoding of all formats and sent out as PCM, which is what the PS3 does.Shingster wrote:I know all the technical guff you're going on about there, but what I don't know is whether there are players on the market that can automatically switch between the two settings, hence me playing safe and saying "some".
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Red Cliff 2-Disc SE BD £9.99 Delivered....bargain!
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... &sku=28654
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... &sku=28654
working class blu-ray fan
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Blu-Ray 2 for £20...some nice titles in there including Leon 
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/listSearch.do?ctx ... tiaryID=-1
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/listSearch.do?ctx ... tiaryID=-1
working class blu-ray fan
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Hopefully this is the start of the Christmas price reductions, I want more! MORE! MOOOORE! 
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
working class blu-ray fan
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Picked up 'A Time to Kill' BD in HMV today for a fiver.
Another of their one-off bargains.
Another of their one-off bargains.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
It's now £12.99. That's incredible value for money. There is a Criterion coming though, which much more extras. I already own it. I paid £28. Thankfully using a £20 gift voucher.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Special-B ... B002GDM2S2
Thanks Salty. I've gone for this. I wonder if it's a misprice? Both the 1 Disc and 2 Disc BDs are £9.99. It's also £9.98 at Amazon:saltysam wrote:Red Cliff 2-Disc SE BD £9.99 Delivered....bargain!
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... &sku=28654
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Special-B ... B002GDM2S2
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Thats the UK cinema version (hacked up) right?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
No. The 1 Disc release is but the 2 Disc release is the Original Theatrical Cut (hence 2 discs).
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
I didnt know that, thanks 
Is horse falls all its missing from the HK cut of Part 1?
Is horse falls all its missing from the HK cut of Part 1?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
What does the BBFC say? Given that the HK BD of Part 1 has a Watermark and both Parts on HK BD cost a bomb, I can live without horse falls.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
BBFC says 16s were cut in total if you add up the cuts from both original versions.
I think I'll go for the BD for a tenner.
I think I'll go for the BD for a tenner.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
16 seconds of cuts or a Watermarked BD or the HK DVD. I'd take 16 seconds of cuts (especially given the so cheap price) over a Watermarked BD or non-watermarked HK DVD. Reviews say the UK BD looks almost identical to the HK BDs. I bet it's the same transfer.
FYI it's Region Free. A first I think for EIV. One of the trailers at startup is PAL SD though, so a problem for some USA users.
FYI it's Region Free. A first I think for EIV. One of the trailers at startup is PAL SD though, so a problem for some USA users.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Chungking Express UK BD - £7.99:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=912237
This is so much cheaper than the Criterion but the overly dark print on the UK BD really annoys me. I'm tempted (lets face it, the Criterion is never going to be cheap) but the darkness, the darkness, the darkness . . .
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=912237
This is so much cheaper than the Criterion but the overly dark print on the UK BD really annoys me. I'm tempted (lets face it, the Criterion is never going to be cheap) but the darkness, the darkness, the darkness . . .
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
For what it's worth, it looks fine when I watch the film itself (rather than comparing screenshots or whatever). It's certainly 'good enough', especially for people like me who are region-locked out of playing Criterions.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
The horse falls are cut from ALL UK versions of Red Cliff. It's a legal issue. If they've been carefully edited it's not much of an issue.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
Thanks Gas. I'll give it a thought. Like you say, you often cannot tell when actually watching the film. Screenshots can greatly enhance a problem that isn't always there. The thing is the HK 2 Disc SE DVD is so good, I'm concerned (HD aspects aside) I'll be disappointed with the UK BD. That also includes Falling Angels too.
Agreed Mark. You cannot tell there are cuts in House of Flying Daggers, unless you've seen it uncut or compare side by side.
Agreed Mark. You cannot tell there are cuts in House of Flying Daggers, unless you've seen it uncut or compare side by side.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!
WTF! I've just ordered this. I bet HMV won't give me £1 back. Time to e-mail HMV!
