The HMV Bargains Thread!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Chungking Express BD £10.99:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?s ... Search.y=9

I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw it for £9.99 in store yesterday. I'm holding out for the superior Criterion though.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

Batman the animated series vol. 1 (4 discs) £6.49

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... _id=101450

Batman the animated series vol.2 (4 discs) £6.49

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=532708

incredible bargain for a classic show.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:That affects all players not some. It's there by design:
I know all the technical guff you're going on about there, but what I don't know is whether there are players on the market that can automatically switch between the two settings, hence me playing safe and saying "some".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by romerojpg »

The Fall Blu Ray £7.44

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 821&sr=8-1

Looks cracking at the least :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:I know all the technical guff you're going on about there, but what I don't know is whether there are players on the market that can automatically switch between the two settings, hence me playing safe and saying "some".
I've never heard or read of any. It would be great but I imagine so hard to achieve. The answer is for on-board decoding of all formats and sent out as PCM, which is what the PS3 does.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

Red Cliff 2-Disc SE BD £9.99 Delivered....bargain!

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... &sku=28654
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

Blu-Ray 2 for £20...some nice titles in there including Leon :)

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/listSearch.do?ctx ... tiaryID=-1
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by romerojpg »

Hopefully this is the start of the Christmas price reductions, I want more! MORE! MOOOORE! :D
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by Markgway »

Leon is an Optimum release so I expect it'll go cheaper.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by Markgway »

Picked up 'A Time to Kill' BD in HMV today for a fiver.

Another of their one-off bargains.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

It's now £12.99. That's incredible value for money. There is a Criterion coming though, which much more extras. I already own it. I paid £28. Thankfully using a £20 gift voucher.
saltysam wrote:Red Cliff 2-Disc SE BD £9.99 Delivered....bargain!

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... &sku=28654
Thanks Salty. I've gone for this. I wonder if it's a misprice? Both the 1 Disc and 2 Disc BDs are £9.99. It's also £9.98 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Special-B ... B002GDM2S2
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

Thats the UK cinema version (hacked up) right?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

No. The 1 Disc release is but the 2 Disc release is the Original Theatrical Cut (hence 2 discs).
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know that, thanks :)
Is horse falls all its missing from the HK cut of Part 1?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

What does the BBFC say? Given that the HK BD of Part 1 has a Watermark and both Parts on HK BD cost a bomb, I can live without horse falls.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

BBFC says 16s were cut in total if you add up the cuts from both original versions.
I think I'll go for the BD for a tenner.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

16 seconds of cuts or a Watermarked BD or the HK DVD. I'd take 16 seconds of cuts (especially given the so cheap price) over a Watermarked BD or non-watermarked HK DVD. Reviews say the UK BD looks almost identical to the HK BDs. I bet it's the same transfer.

FYI it's Region Free. A first I think for EIV. One of the trailers at startup is PAL SD though, so a problem for some USA users.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Chungking Express UK BD - £7.99:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=912237

This is so much cheaper than the Criterion but the overly dark print on the UK BD really annoys me. I'm tempted (lets face it, the Criterion is never going to be cheap) but the darkness, the darkness, the darkness . . .
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by gasteropod »

For what it's worth, it looks fine when I watch the film itself (rather than comparing screenshots or whatever). It's certainly 'good enough', especially for people like me who are region-locked out of playing Criterions.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by Markgway »

The horse falls are cut from ALL UK versions of Red Cliff. It's a legal issue. If they've been carefully edited it's not much of an issue.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Gas. I'll give it a thought. Like you say, you often cannot tell when actually watching the film. Screenshots can greatly enhance a problem that isn't always there. The thing is the HK 2 Disc SE DVD is so good, I'm concerned (HD aspects aside) I'll be disappointed with the UK BD. That also includes Falling Angels too.

Agreed Mark. You cannot tell there are cuts in House of Flying Daggers, unless you've seen it uncut or compare side by side.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The HMV Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

WTF! I've just ordered this. I bet HMV won't give me £1 back. Time to e-mail HMV!