The General HD Releases Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I'm hoping they offer both versions of Cop Land and not just the director's cut.
Is it inferior? I've not seen it.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:I'm hoping they offer both versions of Cop Land and not just the director's cut.
Is it inferior? I've not seen it.
We should always be given the opportunity to watch the original theatrical version as standard.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1741
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

I wasn't saying otherwise and just asking if you'd seen it? Thanks for the link. It's not one I'd rush to buy but do like it.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by gasteropod »

Shingster wrote:but if you look at the most recent posts you'll see that someone has dropped a question regarding the colour differences between the old DVD and new BD release, so you might want to bookmark this page and keep an eye out for Roger's reply.
He has responded:
As to the new Blue Ray of 'O Brother...'. I was using an IP that was produced from the original DI. The way we did that film there was no digital file just an IP and negatives. It was interesting to me that, with modern digital processing techniques, we could dig out far more variation and subtleties of colour than we could originally. I always felt the original print and even more so the Video master were rather monochromatic.
So I gather that means the Blu-ray is better :)
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Shingster »

Yeah, glad my memory of seeing it in the cinema holds up! :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by romerojpg »

Markgway wrote:Shame they dropped the commentary track... that's one I would've listened to.

The UK disc won't have it either.
You can get it off someone else ;) ask on the net and someone will have it. I rip all commentaries.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:You can get it off someone else ;) ask on the net and someone will have it. I rip all commentaries.
Probably available to download somewhere... but it's just a shame it isn't ON the disc itself.

Transfering the file to an MP3 player and then syncing it up to the Blu Ray is too much hastle for a lazy sod like me.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Romero meant listening to it on an MP3 Player. I couldn't be bothered but it's no hassle.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by romerojpg »

Yeah as Brad rightly says I find there no need to listen to it with the film playing, vast majority of commentaries are simple to follow as an MP3 track only :) well as long as you have seen the film :D
I rip all my Blu Rays commentaries nowadays (takes 20 minutes, pretty quick and simple), no way I can be arsed to sit down and watch a film multiple times even if its a perfect film, you dont half get sick of the sight of it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

True. I only tend to listen to parts though. I don't need to listen to an entire commentary any more.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Romero meant listening to it on an MP3 Player. I couldn't be bothered but it's no hassle.
I know. Isn't that what I said?
romerojpg wrote:Yeah as Brad rightly says I find there no need to listen to it with the film playing
I've never really thought of doing that.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

No you didn't :). No one is talking about syncing. I don't know about BDs but DVDs it's dead simple to rip audio. "#1 DVD Audio Ripper" rips any audio track to an MP3 in a matter of clicks.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:No you didn't :). No one is talking about syncing. I don't know about BDs but DVDs it's dead simple to rip audio. "#1 DVD Audio Ripper" rips any audio track to an MP3 in a matter of clicks.
By sync I meant listening to the ripped com track on the MP3 player at the same time as watching the picture on the BD.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

The Expendables: Extended Version in December -

http://ultimatemovieforum.com/content.p ... ctor-s-Cut
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by Markgway »

Once again forced to choose between the theatrical cut and director's cut on seperate releases.

Greedy bastards.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by saltysam »

can't see an extra 11 minutes making it any better than the average film it was.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by luckystars »

saltysam wrote:can't see an extra 11 minutes making it any better than the average film it was.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

I enjoyed it :D But they should include both cuts in the set IMO.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by saltysam »

new opening credits for Expendables DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95fpu3iA9pE
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by gasteropod »

Blue Velvet looks rather nice on Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... velvet.htm
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. It does look good. When it's cheap I may upgrade. I've already got Mulholland Drive on HD-DVD but would upgrade for an SE with remastered HD.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by luckystars »

gasteropod wrote:Blue Velvet looks rather nice on Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... velvet.htm
Looks great! I'll wait for a domestic release though.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
There's a UK version of the 3 Colours Trilogy coming:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... /ref=nosim
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Well spotted. I'm not a fan of white (I sold it, which I regret a bit now) but blue and red are excellent.

Criterion Three Colours is coming too: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/844-three-colors
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by gasteropod »

Brazil UK Blu-ray: http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/con ... ember.html

I'm not keen on that artwork...