
Show your desktop ! (56k warning)
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
I have a scrolling background now which has the widescreen poster images for V For Vendetta (which is due out on th 17th of March), so if you wanna see what my backgrounds are like now go to the movie web site
A little while ago though, I had this one.

I'm rather fickle, and change my backgrounds on a very regular basis. The Mac spoils me though, as I have my backgrounds change every 5 seconds
There's usually a theme though, rather than random images.
Oh, and I tend not to display much in the way of grot as there are others that venture near the computer. No, it's all tucked awa... er...

Gonna get greedy now, and show you what's on my dashboard, which is kind of like a secondary desktop. It comes on in front of your current desktop when requested.

A little while ago though, I had this one.

I'm rather fickle, and change my backgrounds on a very regular basis. The Mac spoils me though, as I have my backgrounds change every 5 seconds
Oh, and I tend not to display much in the way of grot as there are others that venture near the computer. No, it's all tucked awa... er...
Gonna get greedy now, and show you what's on my dashboard, which is kind of like a secondary desktop. It comes on in front of your current desktop when requested.

Last edited by Kurgan on 05 Mar 2006, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
You have a mac? you poor bastard.
We have them on school, plus I had to work with one last year during my internship, and god, I hate them.
I'm not a huge fan of windows either, but man... I really REALLY dislike Macs.
Ofcourse, that's also due to me having a PC at home, so obviously having macs at school is causing regular conflicts with stuff like fonts and files and programs etc, so there's a reason behind my hatred
We have them on school, plus I had to work with one last year during my internship, and god, I hate them.
I'm not a huge fan of windows either, but man... I really REALLY dislike Macs.
Ofcourse, that's also due to me having a PC at home, so obviously having macs at school is causing regular conflicts with stuff like fonts and files and programs etc, so there's a reason behind my hatred
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
the68monkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
- Location: Eastern United States
Never seen a dashboard before, but now I want one! I have a Mac at work, so can you give me some more details about it? Very cool.
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
OK, since you asked so nicely, I'll bore you to death. You brought it upon yourself
.
Getting Dashboard depends upon the version of Mac OS that you have as to whether or not you can get it; I believe it was introduced with the current version - 10.4 or Tiger. So if it's not what you've got at work, I don't think you can use it.
Basically, it lets you run tiny little programs with very quick access to them. You can click a button on your mouse to load it, click again to make it disappear, or you can assign a corner of your screen to load it, if you prefer.
If you take a peek at the second picture, you'll see a number of things in front of iTunes (if you look closely, I was listening to Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise when I took that screenshot
) There's a translation program, a couple of Post-it notes (one of which has some memorable numbers if you're a fan of Lost), something that looks like an old computer terminal in the middle with 107 minutes left on the clock (which should also be familiar for the same reason), a dictionary, a calendar et cetera, et cetera. All of those are programs (which are called widgets) that I have running. The grey (or gray, if you prefer
) bar at the bottom lists these widgets, so even if you don't need them at the moment, they're still there, ready to be loaded for when you do.
There are about 1800 of these widgets (which are free, by the way) and they've all been vetted and checked, so you won't be downloading something that's spyware infested. Some are for fun, others for work and others still are just plain weird.
I think that kinda covers it, but if all of that hasn't acted as a soporific for you, and you want to know more, then I'd be happy to answer your questions.
Getting Dashboard depends upon the version of Mac OS that you have as to whether or not you can get it; I believe it was introduced with the current version - 10.4 or Tiger. So if it's not what you've got at work, I don't think you can use it.
Basically, it lets you run tiny little programs with very quick access to them. You can click a button on your mouse to load it, click again to make it disappear, or you can assign a corner of your screen to load it, if you prefer.
If you take a peek at the second picture, you'll see a number of things in front of iTunes (if you look closely, I was listening to Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise when I took that screenshot
There are about 1800 of these widgets (which are free, by the way) and they've all been vetted and checked, so you won't be downloading something that's spyware infested. Some are for fun, others for work and others still are just plain weird.
I think that kinda covers it, but if all of that hasn't acted as a soporific for you, and you want to know more, then I'd be happy to answer your questions.

-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Ow, I totally agree about all the windows versions prior to XP being pretty shitty and unstable. XP, for me at least, has worked absolutely fine thoughKurgan wrote:Hey, it was a voluntary choice. I've been messing about with Windows since 3.11, and I fancied something that didn't go on holiday everytime I wanted to do something a little complicated.
And I dunno why you have problems with programs - just get the correct version of it. 8)
And the problem I have with programs, is that I use a PC at home,a nd a mac at school/interneship, so it's just sucky when it comes to short-cuts and ofcourse fonts not being compatible between systems etc.
Also, I guess it's much easier to find a program online for a PC then for a mac, plus it's easier/cheaper to get a PC upgraded, or fixed when it's broken.
A Mac used to be special because it could handle complicated design stuff etc, but nowadays PC's are also capable of doing all that, so I'd never bother with a Mac if I wouldnt have to...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
the68monkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
- Location: Eastern United States
Thanks, Kurgan. I don't think my Mac at work has the latest OS on it, but I'll check in the morning. Really wish tomorrow wasn't Monday. 
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
XP is a lot better than prior versions, but it's still all relativeYi-Long wrote:Ow, I totally agree about all the windows versions prior to XP being pretty shitty and unstable. XP, for me at least, has worked absolutely fine though
And the problem I have with programs, is that I use a PC at home,a nd a mac at school/interneship, so it's just sucky when it comes to short-cuts and ofcourse fonts not being compatible between systems etc.
Also, I guess it's much easier to find a program online for a PC then for a mac, plus it's easier/cheaper to get a PC upgraded, or fixed when it's broken.
A Mac used to be special because it could handle complicated design stuff etc, but nowadays PC's are also capable of doing all that, so I'd never bother with a Mac if I wouldnt have to...
Upgrades cost the same (PCI, AGP, PCI-E, DDR2 RAM etc. are all the same, so whatever it costs for an Intel or AMD based system, it would cost for an Apple.)
Software is what it is: Microsoft Office costs the same on Windows or MacOS - Dreamweaver, Flash etc. are the same. It's like buying an all-format game for PS2, X-Box or Gamecube; they'll all cost the same (save some special promotion) - you just have to get the correct version for your machine. And Office runs better under MacOS than it does on Windows, which I find quite amusing. And if copied software is your thing, then that's available too
What I will say is that Macs are not a gamer's platform. Games do come out, but Microsoft do to Apple on the computers, what Sony do to Microsoft when it comes to consoles; they hold games. Examples are Doom 3 and Quake 4. Doom 3 came out after the WinXP version and Quake 4 is yet to be released, just as Sony hold the Grand Theft Auto games for up to a year on PS2, before allowing it to go to the X-Box. If you want your games first, then go with Windows.
Also, if a font is a TrueType one, I don't see it being a problem; there's no reason it shouldn't work.
But, I'm not here for a platform argument. Let's just say I got sick of pricking around with anti-virus software

-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
You're lucky, you've got time before it gets to Monday. It's already that dreaded day here.the68monkey wrote:Thanks, Kurgan. I don't think my Mac at work has the latest OS on it, but I'll check in the morning. Really wish tomorrow wasn't Monday.
I've got so much work to do, and it's all going so very badly...
Nice pic Tom; when was it taken?

-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
No idea.Nice pic Tom; when was it taken ?
I've got about 365 pretty pictures on my HD, and the wallpaper changes randomly at start-up.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Probably was, but not my holiday.I thought that was a personal holiday snap
I probably found it somewhere in here:
http://wp.deviantart.com/
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Hey Kurgan,
have you seen "Advent Children"? I was recently standing in front of the UMD in a store and thought about getting it. Decided not to as I don't know if I'll like it or not. PSP films are so damn expensive which is why I d/led it. Have skipped through it and the graphics look awesome. But how about the storyline?
have you seen "Advent Children"? I was recently standing in front of the UMD in a store and thought about getting it. Decided not to as I don't know if I'll like it or not. PSP films are so damn expensive which is why I d/led it. Have skipped through it and the graphics look awesome. But how about the storyline?
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Advent Children's plot is virtually non-existent. Some shit about pretty-boy Sephiroth clones wanting to gather all their "siblings" (children infected with the Geo-Stigmata, whatever the fuck that is) and revive Genova or some shit. It's all basically just a paper-thin excuse for some nice action set-pieces.thelostdragon wrote:But how about the storyline?
Don't bother with that shitty UMD format, it'll be out on DVD next month.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... y-vii.html
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
LD: I saw Advent Children a while back and liked it a lot. The plot makes sense within the film itself, but has nothing much to do the original game; there are some tenuous references made to it, but really, all that I was looking for from the film was a reunion of the gang. It's amazing to look at, and I was yelling at the screen at one point (an incredibly rare thing for me
) for doing something very well timed - in case you haven't seen it: when Tifa's fight ends with her opponents ring-tone. So well though out
and for that reason you should buy it, but as Eva says, get it on DVD rather than UMD. I mean, if you get it on DVD, you can rip it yourself down to a Memory Stick if you're desperate to watch a film that well-animated on such a small screen, as well as giving you the option to watch on a decent set-up. 8)

-
Unrealnils
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 278
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
Unrealnils
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 278
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
here's the link its to big to post up (i didnt resize) https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... titled.JPG
here a little thumbnail
Wall papaer changes every few days 8)
here a little thumbnail

Wall papaer changes every few days 8)
Constantly M.I.A




