Show your desktop ! (56k warning)

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Here's my latest:

Image
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

My latest:
Image
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

LOL!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I have a scrolling background now which has the widescreen poster images for V For Vendetta (which is due out on th 17th of March), so if you wanna see what my backgrounds are like now go to the movie web site :)
A little while ago though, I had this one.

Image

I'm rather fickle, and change my backgrounds on a very regular basis. The Mac spoils me though, as I have my backgrounds change every 5 seconds :D There's usually a theme though, rather than random images.

Oh, and I tend not to display much in the way of grot as there are others that venture near the computer. No, it's all tucked awa... er... :oops: :D

Gonna get greedy now, and show you what's on my dashboard, which is kind of like a secondary desktop. It comes on in front of your current desktop when requested.

Image
Last edited by Kurgan on 05 Mar 2006, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

You have a mac? you poor bastard.
We have them on school, plus I had to work with one last year during my internship, and god, I hate them.
I'm not a huge fan of windows either, but man... I really REALLY dislike Macs.

Ofcourse, that's also due to me having a PC at home, so obviously having macs at school is causing regular conflicts with stuff like fonts and files and programs etc, so there's a reason behind my hatred ;)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Hey, it was a voluntary choice. I've been messing about with Windows since 3.11, and I fancied something that didn't go on holiday everytime I wanted to do something a little complicated.
And I dunno why you have problems with programs - just get the correct version of it. 8)
Image
the68monkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1444
Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
Location: Eastern United States

Post by the68monkey »

Never seen a dashboard before, but now I want one! I have a Mac at work, so can you give me some more details about it? Very cool.
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

OK, since you asked so nicely, I'll bore you to death. You brought it upon yourself :wink:.

Getting Dashboard depends upon the version of Mac OS that you have as to whether or not you can get it; I believe it was introduced with the current version - 10.4 or Tiger. So if it's not what you've got at work, I don't think you can use it. :(

Basically, it lets you run tiny little programs with very quick access to them. You can click a button on your mouse to load it, click again to make it disappear, or you can assign a corner of your screen to load it, if you prefer.
If you take a peek at the second picture, you'll see a number of things in front of iTunes (if you look closely, I was listening to Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise when I took that screenshot :) ) There's a translation program, a couple of Post-it notes (one of which has some memorable numbers if you're a fan of Lost), something that looks like an old computer terminal in the middle with 107 minutes left on the clock (which should also be familiar for the same reason), a dictionary, a calendar et cetera, et cetera. All of those are programs (which are called widgets) that I have running. The grey (or gray, if you prefer :D ) bar at the bottom lists these widgets, so even if you don't need them at the moment, they're still there, ready to be loaded for when you do.
There are about 1800 of these widgets (which are free, by the way) and they've all been vetted and checked, so you won't be downloading something that's spyware infested. Some are for fun, others for work and others still are just plain weird.

I think that kinda covers it, but if all of that hasn't acted as a soporific for you, and you want to know more, then I'd be happy to answer your questions. :)
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Kurgan wrote:Hey, it was a voluntary choice. I've been messing about with Windows since 3.11, and I fancied something that didn't go on holiday everytime I wanted to do something a little complicated.
And I dunno why you have problems with programs - just get the correct version of it. 8)
Ow, I totally agree about all the windows versions prior to XP being pretty shitty and unstable. XP, for me at least, has worked absolutely fine though :)

And the problem I have with programs, is that I use a PC at home,a nd a mac at school/interneship, so it's just sucky when it comes to short-cuts and ofcourse fonts not being compatible between systems etc.
Also, I guess it's much easier to find a program online for a PC then for a mac, plus it's easier/cheaper to get a PC upgraded, or fixed when it's broken.

A Mac used to be special because it could handle complicated design stuff etc, but nowadays PC's are also capable of doing all that, so I'd never bother with a Mac if I wouldnt have to... :)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Oh, by the way, my desktop now looks like this:

Image

:D
Image
the68monkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1444
Joined: 09 Apr 2005, 03:12
Location: Eastern United States

Post by the68monkey »

Thanks, Kurgan. I don't think my Mac at work has the latest OS on it, but I'll check in the morning. Really wish tomorrow wasn't Monday. :(
My favorite Hong Kong screen villain? www.yuenwah.com
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

My desktop in night-mode :D :

Image
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Yi-Long wrote:Ow, I totally agree about all the windows versions prior to XP being pretty shitty and unstable. XP, for me at least, has worked absolutely fine though :)

And the problem I have with programs, is that I use a PC at home,a nd a mac at school/interneship, so it's just sucky when it comes to short-cuts and ofcourse fonts not being compatible between systems etc.
Also, I guess it's much easier to find a program online for a PC then for a mac, plus it's easier/cheaper to get a PC upgraded, or fixed when it's broken.

A Mac used to be special because it could handle complicated design stuff etc, but nowadays PC's are also capable of doing all that, so I'd never bother with a Mac if I wouldnt have to... :)
XP is a lot better than prior versions, but it's still all relative ;)

Upgrades cost the same (PCI, AGP, PCI-E, DDR2 RAM etc. are all the same, so whatever it costs for an Intel or AMD based system, it would cost for an Apple.)
Software is what it is: Microsoft Office costs the same on Windows or MacOS - Dreamweaver, Flash etc. are the same. It's like buying an all-format game for PS2, X-Box or Gamecube; they'll all cost the same (save some special promotion) - you just have to get the correct version for your machine. And Office runs better under MacOS than it does on Windows, which I find quite amusing. And if copied software is your thing, then that's available too ;) And for availability - see my Dashboard explanation.
What I will say is that Macs are not a gamer's platform. Games do come out, but Microsoft do to Apple on the computers, what Sony do to Microsoft when it comes to consoles; they hold games. Examples are Doom 3 and Quake 4. Doom 3 came out after the WinXP version and Quake 4 is yet to be released, just as Sony hold the Grand Theft Auto games for up to a year on PS2, before allowing it to go to the X-Box. If you want your games first, then go with Windows.
Also, if a font is a TrueType one, I don't see it being a problem; there's no reason it shouldn't work.

But, I'm not here for a platform argument. Let's just say I got sick of pricking around with anti-virus software ;) :D
Image
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

the68monkey wrote:Thanks, Kurgan. I don't think my Mac at work has the latest OS on it, but I'll check in the morning. Really wish tomorrow wasn't Monday. :(
You're lucky, you've got time before it gets to Monday. It's already that dreaded day here. :( :x
I've got so much work to do, and it's all going so very badly... :cry:

Nice pic Tom; when was it taken?
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Nice pic Tom; when was it taken ?
No idea.
I've got about 365 pretty pictures on my HD, and the wallpaper changes randomly at start-up.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

Oh, I thought that was a personal holiday snap :o :)
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

I thought that was a personal holiday snap
Probably was, but not my holiday. :D

I probably found it somewhere in here:
http://wp.deviantart.com/
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I dunno... seems kinda creepy; taking the holiday snaps of others and passing them off as your own. There's something so un-wholesome about that... :P :D

Just joshing. :)
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Hey Kurgan,

have you seen "Advent Children"? I was recently standing in front of the UMD in a store and thought about getting it. Decided not to as I don't know if I'll like it or not. PSP films are so damn expensive which is why I d/led it. Have skipped through it and the graphics look awesome. But how about the storyline?
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

thelostdragon wrote:But how about the storyline?
Advent Children's plot is virtually non-existent. Some shit about pretty-boy Sephiroth clones wanting to gather all their "siblings" (children infected with the Geo-Stigmata, whatever the fuck that is) and revive Genova or some shit. It's all basically just a paper-thin excuse for some nice action set-pieces.

Don't bother with that shitty UMD format, it'll be out on DVD next month.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... y-vii.html
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

LD: I saw Advent Children a while back and liked it a lot. The plot makes sense within the film itself, but has nothing much to do the original game; there are some tenuous references made to it, but really, all that I was looking for from the film was a reunion of the gang. It's amazing to look at, and I was yelling at the screen at one point (an incredibly rare thing for me :D ) for doing something very well timed - in case you haven't seen it: when Tifa's fight ends with her opponents ring-tone. So well though out :D and for that reason you should buy it, but as Eva says, get it on DVD rather than UMD. I mean, if you get it on DVD, you can rip it yourself down to a Memory Stick if you're desperate to watch a film that well-animated on such a small screen, as well as giving you the option to watch on a decent set-up. 8)
Image
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05

Post by Unrealnils »

OOOOOOOOOOO i love these sort of threads

Surprised not to see more Intresting programes on them desktops :D

Wheres the best place to host a pic of mine so i can link to it
Constantly M.I.A
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

You can host images on Bullets.

Click the "Your Images" link at the top of your page.
Image
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05

Post by Unrealnils »

here's the link its to big to post up (i didnt resize) https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... titled.JPG

here a little thumbnail Image

Wall papaer changes every few days 8)
Constantly M.I.A