General DVD Question.

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

General DVD Question.

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Is it possible to have both NTSC and PAL video on a DVD-9?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Technically: yes.

However, most standalone players don't seem to like it very much.
Some players will get stuck in PAL mode if the first track on the disc is PAL (and vice versa), some players will freeze...

My Pioneer just stops working when it tries to switch from one mode to the other. :D

If you want to watch your PAL+NTSC DVD-9 on anything other than your PC:
Don't bother. It probably won't work. :wink:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Ooh learn something new everyday. Nice one Tom.
Image
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

I ask this because I bought a DVD-9 (a bootleg) copy of Crime Story from chinatown and while the film was in NTSC the Teddy Chen interview was PAL!
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

That's bootlegs for you. :D

If the menus are in NTSC, I suspect that most players won't be able to switch to PAL when they hit the interview. It will probably look either cropped, jerky or vertically squished.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Actually the interview is an easter egg. I highlighted 'play' then pressed 'up' and my player froze for a few seconds then played it. You could here the audio perfectly but the picture was pretty much squiggy lines and static so I figured sice my TV is NTSC, the interview segment must be PAL.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

You tried playing it on your PC?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Those bootleggers are so funny :D