HDMI Xbox 360 a reality and DMC4 360 bound
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
HDMI Xbox 360 a reality and DMC4 360 bound
Awesome news, the rumours of an HDMI 360 are true. Glad I waited.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/xbox ... 0gb-drive/
Also Devil May Cry 4 is headed to 360. One less reason for me to buy a PS3.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74331
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/xbox ... 0gb-drive/
Also Devil May Cry 4 is headed to 360. One less reason for me to buy a PS3.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74331
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
I've been reading about this for some time, and like you I'm glad I waited. I hate all these white "IPod" style products - they always go yellow! My Dreamcast went yellow before I sold it on E-Bay.
Give me black any day. And the fact that it has HDMI is a big plus point for me. 120GB of storage space won't go amiss either...
Roll on April I say. (and the eventual release date for Ninja Gaiden 2)
Give me black any day. And the fact that it has HDMI is a big plus point for me. 120GB of storage space won't go amiss either...
Roll on April I say. (and the eventual release date for Ninja Gaiden 2)
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
I don't really care bout colour, unless it is utterly fagtastic like some of the Gamecube/Ninty handheld flavours - the default Gamecube colour was purple (I bought a black Gamecube). I'm excited bout the hardware upgrades, Xbox 360 was sorely lacking without HDMI.IronMonkey wrote:I've been reading about this for some time, and like you I'm glad I waited. I hate all these white "IPod" style products - they always go yellow!
Give me black any day. And the fact that it has HDMI is a big plus point for me. 120GB of storage space won't go amiss either...
DMC4 will be a nice complement to Ninja Gaiden 3. Super-fast and fun stylish arcadey gameplay + ultra-hard difficulty.
I never bought a DC as I knew that it was doomed for failure, the only the thing that I regret is missing out on Shenmue 1. I loved Shen2 on Xbox, they should've ported both games at the same time instead of cheapening out with that "Shenmue the Movie" crap disc.My Dreamcast went yellow before I sold it on E-Bay.
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Really I still have my dreamcast here, which I play Shenmue 2 and House of the Dead 2 (With the lightgun, pure arcade), and it is still whiteIronMonkey wrote:I've been reading about this for some time, and like you I'm glad I waited. I hate all these white "IPod" style products - they always go yellow! My Dreamcast went yellow before I sold it on E-Bay.
Ahh Eva, you missed it, it is a quality game, but you never know, they may rerelease it for the xbox360. Got to say thou, Shenmue is still impressive even today with its graphics, in the comparision forum, I posted a site which has the different graphics for both dreamcast and the xbox. It wasn't a true port, it seems they did change around the graphics..Here is the linkEvaUnit02 wrote:I never bought a DC as I knew that it was doomed for failure, the only the thing that I regret is missing out on Shenmue 1.
I'm glad I waiting for the xbox, this package looks nice. I really don't think I'm going to buy the PS3 (But saying that I really want play MSG4!!!!, Is this a PS3 Exclusive - Hope not). I think with the PS3 backward compatibility issue and it steep price, it may be the year of Xbox now.
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
Uhm, European PS3 plays over 1200 PS2/1 games... the Xbox360 plays about 300 Xbox games (according MS's folks...) ... that's not bad. I would've loved this feature to be 100% but since I got a Japanese PS3 I got screwed anyways 
So far I've had no interest in getting the 360... the only thing that could attract me to it is the XBLA oddly enough... so unless Sony's PLAYSTATION Store turns out be a real competitor to XBLA I might eventually go Xbox360 ...
As a system though the PS3 is completely and utterly superior to the Xbox - HOWEVER that said, Sony has totally fumbled the ball on this and the software they deliver fully fails to realize the potential of the hardware.
Sony wants the PS3 to be a media center; then why can it only play properly formated MP4 media files from LOCAL STORAGE?! Where is net connectivity? If this machine would play avi's x264 mpeg2 TS' etc from a network storage it would rock. Like totally.
And their webservices are utterly slow, however it seems they are working on it for the European launch as the PSStore seems to have gotten a face lift and a lil speedup (at least in Europe)...
The thing that gets me though, the PS' are not only region locked for content... but the firmware know which damn hardware it's running on. That means even if I use the same firmware as the fellas in the US, where they have to press X, I must press O and vice versa. This is confusing, ESPECIALLY since some games forget to ask the FW what buttons to press and just puts up a graphic that says press X - while the PS' won't continue till I press O. :shock:
So I'm holding out for a custom fw... shouldn't really be news to me, the PSP was exactly the same - but it's atleast running a sweet custom fw now.
Oh, and no I'm not really a SONY fanboy - I've been drooling on the DSLite for ages now, and finally managed to score a Nintendo Wii. (It's sold out everywhere and nobody knows when they'll be getting any more...)
So far I've had no interest in getting the 360... the only thing that could attract me to it is the XBLA oddly enough... so unless Sony's PLAYSTATION Store turns out be a real competitor to XBLA I might eventually go Xbox360 ...
As a system though the PS3 is completely and utterly superior to the Xbox - HOWEVER that said, Sony has totally fumbled the ball on this and the software they deliver fully fails to realize the potential of the hardware.
Sony wants the PS3 to be a media center; then why can it only play properly formated MP4 media files from LOCAL STORAGE?! Where is net connectivity? If this machine would play avi's x264 mpeg2 TS' etc from a network storage it would rock. Like totally.
And their webservices are utterly slow, however it seems they are working on it for the European launch as the PSStore seems to have gotten a face lift and a lil speedup (at least in Europe)...
The thing that gets me though, the PS' are not only region locked for content... but the firmware know which damn hardware it's running on. That means even if I use the same firmware as the fellas in the US, where they have to press X, I must press O and vice versa. This is confusing, ESPECIALLY since some games forget to ask the FW what buttons to press and just puts up a graphic that says press X - while the PS' won't continue till I press O. :shock:
So I'm holding out for a custom fw... shouldn't really be news to me, the PSP was exactly the same - but it's atleast running a sweet custom fw now.
Oh, and no I'm not really a SONY fanboy - I've been drooling on the DSLite for ages now, and finally managed to score a Nintendo Wii. (It's sold out everywhere and nobody knows when they'll be getting any more...)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Hey gojensen,
, Another thing why I will be after Xbox360. Yes I know the libraries are for c#, but I'm hoping they soon port it over to C++, It would be nice to create a small 2d 5 min wonder on the xbox360 
. That one good thing about the PSP I love, it so easily to install DevHook. My brother got me the japanese PSP which already had the 1.5 Firmware which was great 
For some reason, when I read XBLA, I thought of Xbox XNA librarySo far I've had no interest in getting the 360... the only thing that could attract me to it is the XBLA oddly enough... so unless Sony's PLAYSTATION Store turns out be a real competitor to XBLA I might eventually go Xbox360 ...
Indeed, This may prove to be Sony downfall on the PS3As a system though the PS3 is completely and utterly superior to the Xbox - HOWEVER that said, Sony has totally fumbled the ball on this and the software they deliver fully fails to realize the potential of the hardware.
I'm sure there will be a crack soon, Remember the lastest firmware for PSP was cracked in a couple of daysThe thing that gets me though, the PS' are not only region locked for content... but the firmware know which damn hardware it's running on. That means even if I use the same firmware as the fellas in the US, where they have to press X, I must press O and vice versa. This is confusing, ESPECIALLY since some games forget to ask the FW what buttons to press and just puts up a graphic that says press X - while the PS' won't continue till I press O
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Ninja Gaiden 3?! Have I missed something?EvaUnit02 wrote:DMC4 will be a nice complement to Ninja Gaiden 3. Super-fast and fun stylish arcadey gameplay + ultra-hard difficulty.
Shenmue was good but I much preferred House Of The Dead 2 & Outtrigger. HOTD2 was my favourite Dreamcast game. Its a shame lightguns don't work on plasma screens (or LCDs) as thats one of the reasons I got rid of my Dreamcast...EvaUnit02 wrote:I never bought a DC as I knew that it was doomed for failure, the only the thing that I regret is missing out on Shenmue 1. I loved Shen2 on Xbox, they should've ported both games at the same time instead of cheapening out with that "Shenmue the Movie" crap disc.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
I know what you mean. I used to love playing Time Crisis on my PS1/2 with a Namco Guncon, but it didn't work on the 100Hz 480p/576p TV that the family bought in 2004.IronMonkey wrote: Its a shame lightguns don't work on plasma screens (or LCDs) as thats one of the reasons I got rid of my Dreamcast...
No shit Sherlock, it is an enhanced port. I bet you haven't noticed the added photo-taking facility (which unlocks all sorts of cool shit, like Shen Saturn tech demos) and improved load times on the Xbox version either.slasher13 wrote:, I posted a site which has the different graphics for both dreamcast and the xbox. It wasn't a true port, it seems they did change around the graphics..Here is the link
There are two kinds of ports:- enhanced ports and direct ports. The names speak for themselves.
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
LOL, well WatsonEvaUnit02 wrote:No shit Sherlock, it is an enhanced port. I bet you haven't noticed the added photo-taking facility (which unlocks all sorts of cool shit, like Shen Saturn tech demos) and improved load times on the Xbox version either.
There are two kinds of ports:- enhanced ports and direct ports. The names speak for themselves.
Anyway the tech demo are very impressive, they can be seen here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=18309
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
I think its because they are progressive by nature & lightguns don't work with progressive screens. I don't know the technicalities of it, but it seems that unless there is another way to get lightguns working on progressive screens, games like House Of The Dead are going to become a dying breed on home consoles in the near future...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I dont think the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be all too different performance-wise. PS3 might have slightly better specs but there's supposedly a problem with getting it all to work properly together (CPU with memory or whatever)
In the end, it will be the developers that will make or brak the console, and so far most developers seem to think the 360 is much easier to program for.
Personally, we're talking about if a game can now have 10 billion or 20 billion textures er second or whatever, so who cares really?
I'm sure both next-gen machines will have stunning looking games as well as games that are ok-ish looking at best.
I just checked the gametrailers.com site, looking at the new Ninja Gaiden Sigma gameplay footage, and it's just absolutely stunning. When you compare it o the Devil May Cry footage it just looks like a whole different generation. DMC looks like a last-gen game but with slightly better graphics. Sigma really looks next-gen in all aspects.
For me, NGSigma would be a reason to consider buying a PS3, but at the moment that's pretty much the ONLY reason I can think of to buy one. I'm much more excited about the 360 TBH, although it will be a while before I get that one...
It looks like PS3 is flopping big time at the moment. To me it's not really a surprise, but still...
On Lightguns: I like light-guns, but TBH I wouldnt bother getting one cause there's usually not enough support for a lightgun. There will usually not be enough software coming out which will make use of it.
In the end, it will be the developers that will make or brak the console, and so far most developers seem to think the 360 is much easier to program for.
Personally, we're talking about if a game can now have 10 billion or 20 billion textures er second or whatever, so who cares really?
I'm sure both next-gen machines will have stunning looking games as well as games that are ok-ish looking at best.
I just checked the gametrailers.com site, looking at the new Ninja Gaiden Sigma gameplay footage, and it's just absolutely stunning. When you compare it o the Devil May Cry footage it just looks like a whole different generation. DMC looks like a last-gen game but with slightly better graphics. Sigma really looks next-gen in all aspects.
For me, NGSigma would be a reason to consider buying a PS3, but at the moment that's pretty much the ONLY reason I can think of to buy one. I'm much more excited about the 360 TBH, although it will be a while before I get that one...
It looks like PS3 is flopping big time at the moment. To me it's not really a surprise, but still...
On Lightguns: I like light-guns, but TBH I wouldnt bother getting one cause there's usually not enough support for a lightgun. There will usually not be enough software coming out which will make use of it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
From what I've seen PS3 and 360 are really close, so it doesn't really matter. The lack of rumble in the PS3 pad is utterly gay though and the tacked on at the last minute motion control is laughable.
I'll get both eventually (unless MGS and Silent Hill 5 go multiplatform), probably won't get the PS3 until it is significantly cheaper. I've already pre-ordered Halo 3 Legendary Edition, so hopefully I'll have a 360 by then.
No doubt that PS3's implementation of online services will be just as shitty as it was with PS2. If I ever bothered with Xbox Live Gold (which I probably won't be, as I'm not big on multiplayer), paying a yearly subscription fee would be a small price to pay for quality online services.
I'll get both eventually (unless MGS and Silent Hill 5 go multiplatform), probably won't get the PS3 until it is significantly cheaper. I've already pre-ordered Halo 3 Legendary Edition, so hopefully I'll have a 360 by then.
No doubt that PS3's implementation of online services will be just as shitty as it was with PS2. If I ever bothered with Xbox Live Gold (which I probably won't be, as I'm not big on multiplayer), paying a yearly subscription fee would be a small price to pay for quality online services.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
As big a fan as I am of Ninja Gaiden, I won't be buying a PS3 for Sigma, simply because it is just another remake of the original Ninja Gaiden on the XBox.Yi-Long wrote:For me, NGSigma would be a reason to consider buying a PS3, but at the moment that's pretty much the ONLY reason I can think of to buy one. I'm much more excited about the 360 TBH, although it will be a while before I get that one...
Sure, you can now play as Rachel in 3 extra chapters in the game & it looks a bit (well, a lot) prettier, but it is essentially still the first game.
I want an all-new Ninja Gaiden experience & thats why I'm waiting for Ninja Gaiden 2 on the XBox 360.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Same here. Like I said, it's only 1 reason why I would consider buying a PS3, and for 600 euro's, I'd need a hell of a lot more and better reasons to convince me to buy one. I do wish it would just be released on the 360 though. It looks stunning on PS3. Team Ninja makes all the other developers for PS3 look bad 
Personally, I dont care all that much for Rachel. I much rather would have had the option to play a bunch of levels as Ayane, who I think is one of the coolest gaming characters ever (short hair, cool ninja, boyish...)
Ninja Gaiden 2 is taking too goddamn long to get here, though. What makes it worse is that we know that's because that guy first wasted so much time on his crappy DOAX game...
Personally, I dont care all that much for Rachel. I much rather would have had the option to play a bunch of levels as Ayane, who I think is one of the coolest gaming characters ever (short hair, cool ninja, boyish...)
Ninja Gaiden 2 is taking too goddamn long to get here, though. What makes it worse is that we know that's because that guy first wasted so much time on his crappy DOAX game...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
Imation tech (or some such company) has a patent for rumble technology. They sued Microsoft a while back and got a cool bunch of millions from them, and MS bought some stocks etc... then they went after SONY - who seemed to think they had been doing rumble packs since before Imation and thus didn't think the patent was valid... they were offered a licensing deal for $30 mill (or something...) but took it to court... lost, had to pay around $130 mill in damages... and get this;
They've NOW reached a licensing agreement with Imation for another $30 mill or so and WILL be bringing the rumble to the PS3 soon! Pretty much confirming they "lied" when they said rumble would interfer with the motion controller.
That said, the motion controller works sweet in Blast Factor! I seriously can't see how that game would've worked without it... even though it only uses it some times for a real simple function
IM is correct with regards to light guns... there are some that work on 100Hz tellys. The reason why there is a problem is this... 50 (or 60) times per second there is an "invisible" scan line going across and dow the screen... the light gun has a sensor that latches on to this signal and thus is able to know where you are pointing. Some light guns (or most) are not fast enough to catch the beam on the 100Hz tellys because it's about twice as fast 50hz tellys.
Then again, plasma and lcd screens don't work in the same way and thusly has no scan line for the gun to latch on to... the future of light guns would be something the Wii motes... or a much more advanced solution with a highres camera/scanner in the gun that would recognize objects you point at - specifically the screen.
They've NOW reached a licensing agreement with Imation for another $30 mill or so and WILL be bringing the rumble to the PS3 soon! Pretty much confirming they "lied" when they said rumble would interfer with the motion controller.
That said, the motion controller works sweet in Blast Factor! I seriously can't see how that game would've worked without it... even though it only uses it some times for a real simple function
IM is correct with regards to light guns... there are some that work on 100Hz tellys. The reason why there is a problem is this... 50 (or 60) times per second there is an "invisible" scan line going across and dow the screen... the light gun has a sensor that latches on to this signal and thus is able to know where you are pointing. Some light guns (or most) are not fast enough to catch the beam on the 100Hz tellys because it's about twice as fast 50hz tellys.
Then again, plasma and lcd screens don't work in the same way and thusly has no scan line for the gun to latch on to... the future of light guns would be something the Wii motes... or a much more advanced solution with a highres camera/scanner in the gun that would recognize objects you point at - specifically the screen.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I think the future of lightguns would be pretty simple: you stick 4 sensors at each corner of the TV, in contact with eachotehr and the console, thus kina overlaying a 'shield' over the screen, you calibrate the gun for movement, and off you go...
I THINK that would be the easiest and most logical solution. In fact, perhaps a TV-maker like Sony could already include such sensors in their TV's from now on.
I'm sure they'll find a solution, because with homecinema getting so big and loud and immersive at the moment, there will no doubt be demand for shooting at a huge screen in your living room...
I THINK that would be the easiest and most logical solution. In fact, perhaps a TV-maker like Sony could already include such sensors in their TV's from now on.
I'm sure they'll find a solution, because with homecinema getting so big and loud and immersive at the moment, there will no doubt be demand for shooting at a huge screen in your living room...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland