Do we need a new Mod?

User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Do we need a new Mod?

Post by Shingster »

With Tom stepping down as an active mod and one or two recent threads descending into back and forth bickering, is it time we got ourselves a new mod?

If the answer is yes, does anyone want to volunteer for the position? If not then I guess i'm willing to step up, or do we feel there's no need for any moderation at all on these boards?
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Post by luckystars »

Wouldn't it be easier to ban Brad and Mark? :roll:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Do we need a mod? = Yes
Is anyone except Tom or Hung suitable? = No
luckystars wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to ban Brad and Mark? :roll:
That's harsh. At least I'm not being singled out for once :D.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Post by luckystars »

Oops, sorry my bad. I just meant Brad.

:D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

:D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

So what if 1 or 2 threads descends in some very short bickering!? It usually solves itself.

As I often said, we only need a mod for the occasional spam and for the new accounts. Apart from that, unless things get REALLY out of control (which hardly ever happens, like only once a year orso), and even then I'm all for just letting it roll and enjoy the action :P
I dont really mind the occasional bitchfight.

So whoever becomes a mod, I hope that person will do as good a job as Tom did (most of the time, cause I still havent forgiven him for deleting the thread where Brad went nuts as hell...) :P
Seriously, Tom has been a perfect mod, and that's the way the board should be moderated. Very hands-off. :)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:As I often said, we only need a mod for the occasional spam and for the new accounts.
Do you get the feeling no one is listening? :D (joke).

Seriously Tom still seems to be moderating "if asked" so unless he no longer wants to do this we could just leave it as it is.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Do we need a mod? = Yes
Is anyone except Tom or Hung suitable? = No
There are plenty of members suitable to being a mod, just because you were woeful in the role doesn't mean everyone else is incompetent too. I actually used to be a mod on the old BnB for instance and Knetan is a mod on the DragonsdenUK forums.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

on another forum i'm an administrator and that one has nearly 600 registered users :) it's a chore more than anything,don't envy whoever takes it on here :wink:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:There are plenty of members suitable to being a mod, just because you were woeful in the role doesn't mean everyone else is incompetent too.
Most would be, IMO.
saltysam wrote:on another forum i'm an administrator and that one has nearly 600 registered users :) it's a chore more than anything,don't envy whoever takes it on here :wink:
Which one? Do you have to do much?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

No point making me a mod.

I'd ban the fucking lot o' ya.

:D

Or maybe just that poof Luckystars.

8)
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

@Brad: Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not really a mod anymore.
I'll keep checking new accounts and answering PMs for as long as I need to, but I have no time for anything else.

So yes, I believe we need a new mod.
And yes, I believe we have several capable people on this board.

I'll leave it up to you folks to decide who's best.
Then I'll give him the keys and let you deal with him. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Who in your opinion?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: Which one? Do you have to do much?
i resigned yesterday :wink:
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Who in your opinion?
Can't speak for tom, but off the top of my head these members could perform the duties of Mod no problems.

Knetan
HungFist
Yi-Long
Markgway
Gasteropod
Saltysam
68Monkey
Chen Lung
Ivan Drago
Luckystars
Degeneration
Brooce-leroy

Obviously this isn't a list of nominations though, as I'm sure most, if not all are completely uninterested in the position.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Fair point on some but many of them barely visit any more. There's no point being a mod if you're never here.

Out of that lot I'd second you with:

Gasteropod
Degeneration
Hungfist - But he's already said he's not interested.

Yi-Long no way, Markgway no way, Ivan Drago no way. Salty maybe. All IMO. I'm shocked you reckon Yi, Mark and Ivan would be suitable. All have shown they'd be completely unsuitable at times (as I was at times).

Many of the rest you cannot really say as they barely post. 68 Monkey would be fine but again she barely posts, same goes for Chen Lung.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Yi-Long no way, Markgway no way, Ivan Drago no way. Salty maybe. All IMO. I'm shocked you reckon Yi, Mark and Ivan would be suitable. All have shown they'd be completely unsuitable at times (as I was at times).
They'd all do a far, far better job than you did. :wink:

No offence Brad, but your stint as mod as already proven that you have absolutely no clue how to run a forum, and in particular this place. Plus, no one here really puts any stock whatsoever in your opinions, so I doubt your comments will hold any weight on this process.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Ho Ho Ho
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:They'd all do a far, far better job than you did. :wink:
I beg to differ but either way that doesn't mean they'd be suitable.
Shingster wrote:No offence Brad
None taken.
Shingster wrote:Plus, no one here really puts any stock whatsoever in your opinions, so I doubt your comments will hold any weight on this process.
Some do, some don't.

All members hold weight when it comes to who the moderator or at least they should. Besides no one else, it seems is too bothered. Yi, Ivan and Mark have all thrown tantrums as big as mine (no not just at me), meaning they're unsuitable. Agreed many on your list would be ideal though.

Tigercage would be unsuitable too.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

So I take it no one is interested in the role? If not I'll PM Tom and ask him to hand the reigns over to me.

Does anyone have any objection to that?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

This thread should be renamed:

Can I be mod?

:D

I don't think anyone has an opinion either way. Why are you so bothered though? Do you have anything that you think needs moderating in particular? I'm just wondering.

As dumb as it sounds it maybe an idea to start a thread in the Asian forum. I suspect some haven't replied as they cannot be bothered to look in this thread. I think you'd probably be okay (although concerning) but it's hard to say go ahead when so few are even bothering to comment.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I don't really think we need a moderator on this forum, but Shingster's fine by me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Let's not forget Mordib has the powers if needed, say something falls over or a thread needs locking, in the rare cases it's needed.

Tom could just ask Mordib to take away his rights and leave it at that.

Out of:

Yi
Ivan
Tigercage
Lourdes
Shingster

Shingster gets my vote, for what it's worth.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster is OK with me. Just don't go facist on us, like Brad and Toge did... and we'll let you live. :P
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Shing shall be the king.